Forum Index > Trip Reports > How to find good trails to hike in bad weather?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikermacha

hikermacha
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am 
I'm new to this forum and my basic search didn't get me any results. Given the bad weather in PNW and the forest fires, I have 2-3 days of free time on my hand and am looking to hike anywhere (willing to drive 2-3 hours from Seattle to the trail head). My approach to finding a good route to hike has been something like 1. Pick up a trail or a mountain from a book I'm reading or a top link on any of the forums 2. See if the weather is alright. If it is good, do more research and if not try the same steps for another mountain/trail. Looking for suggestions from experienced hikers out here to see if there is a better way to do the "search for a hike/trail based on weather conditions". Cheers ! [Edit: 2-3 hours from Seattle]

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 9:45 am 
Quote:
(willing to drive 2-3 hours to the trail head)
2-3 hours from where?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
hikermacha

hikermacha
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 am 
2-3 hours from Seattle

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 11:21 am 
That's how I do it. I might be more tolerant of a chance of t-storms if I can switch campsite plans and stay in the trees. But yeah, a set of Green Trails maps to show all the options and weather.gov for weather, and plans for changing things around once you're out there, because you never know if the weather predictions are correct. This weekend is a perfect example of using every planning technique out there. Not only hiking maps and weather, but fire maps and possible road closures - Highway 20 is open now, but WSDOT indicated possible mudslides hitting the road, and certain periodic temporary closures for electric tower repairs. Also check for road closures for blasting projects at Snoqualmie Pass. So lots to consider sometimes; sometimes it's only the weather; much easier.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 11:25 am 
forecast says crappy weather until the 13th.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 12:18 pm 
Our new friend isn't asking for hike suggestions for this weekend, but for tips on planning.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 12:43 pm 
NOAA weather service is your friend. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-120.93639&lat=47.41425#.VeSqyIsVQWI Particularly the "Forecast Weather Table Interface" http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxtables/index.php?lat=47.4143&lon=-120.9364 The icon in the first link shows 50% chance of showers for Wednsday in the Teannaway area. Well so it's 50/50 i might get rained on? NO! depends on what part of the day...cause it is not 50/50 (look at the second link) for the entire 24 hours. The weather will improve during the day. You'll find after 5pm there is a 20% chance 0.01" of rain. This not ever worth wearing rain gear over even if that 20% chance comes true. Now your probably not going to hike after 5pm, that's not the point. The point is you can often find the nice weather between the bands of heavy rain using the "Forecast Weather Table Interface" 2 to 3 hours from Seattle will get you to the nearly always drier east slopes of the cascades.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 12:49 pm 
www.mountain-forecast.com is a good site for peaks, you can check the weather at elevation

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 1:56 pm 
And don't forget to drag the polygon around on the weather.gov map. I run into folks time and again who don't know you can reposition the pointer and zoom in on a forecast.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 3:49 pm 
Yep the NWS page is invaluable. And you do have to click on the map and then scroll down to the new map; which you can drag and re-click for a pinpoint forecast of any given micro-climate area. The NWS map page is one of the absolute pinnacles of the information age! Forested valley trails make nice rainy day hikes as long as the rain is not too severe. In mild rain, you can shelter in clumps of trees to to ride out the occasional flurries. In heavier or more sustained precipitation the sheltering groves become less of a sanctuary...

mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 4:23 pm 
If the weather is iffy, check the rainshadow areas--the teanaway, area surrounding sequim, whidbey island, the san juans. Often a lot less rainy there, or not rainy at all. E.g. north eastern olympic penninsula was partly sunny on Sunday.

toujours gai toujours gai
gb

gb
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 4:37 pm 
In this situation, don't firm up plans far in advance.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 2:30 pm 
Part of the art of hiking is to have a "grab bag" of various destiantions half-planned and reserved for various situations. F'rinstance, I'll go up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie in winter (if it's open) and do the flat trails across the bridge when the weather's bad and avy danger is outrageous and I'm desperate to just get out and make tracks (it's a "dumpster dive" hike). Deception Creek south of US2 likewise (long valley hike). Iron Goat Trail can be good with kids or injury rehab.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 pm 
For most day hikes weather isn't a big deal. Just carry appropriate gear.

gb

gb
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm 
Better yet, make good choices.