Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Ballard 8/27
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 4:28 pm 
Last Thursday, I got a rare weekday off and headed to the Hart's Pass area for a trip. At the time, highway 20 was closed in Newhalem, so I had to go the long way around via Stevens Pass, Wenatchee, Chelan, Winthrop, etc. If I would have known it would take 6 hrs to get to the TH, I probably would have waited. Anyways, I had really been wanting to do this peak for the past few months and I just had to make it happen. The road down from Hart's Pass to the Cady Pass TH is open again after being shut down for a little bit due to the Tatie Pk fire. It's bumpy but any car can make it. I reached the gate on Wednesday night and slept in the back of my truck, the smoke was in the air and felt like I was sleeping near a campfire. I started hiking by 6:15am in the morning down the old roadway, once after crossing the bridge at 1 mile, I headed off trail through the mostly open forest. The traverse through the forest was easy, I had to try and not gain too much elevation so I could hit the boulder field at 4900' to avoid a brushy entrance.
Ballard in the smoke
Ballard in the smoke
The route to the other boulder field was kind of a pain. I should have payed more attention to Cartman's TR that he posted last month. I fought steep brush and loose rocks to get to the next boulder field. Oh well, I got there and found the East rib that lead up to the peak. On the rib, it was a mix of loose rock, 3/4 scrambling and a 5th class move thrown in. Nothing too tough and I reached the saddle on the ridge. After following the 3 ramps on the West side of the peak, I scrambled up a gully then went left to scramble up and hit the summit. I signed the almost hidden Odwalla register, I moved it to the summit underneath a new summit cairn. The smoke was still heavy but I could see a little ways out there. The ridge to Azurite looked interesting.
Ballard
Ballard
Azurite
Azurite
I went down a slightly different way, it wasn't much better than the way up but at least there are several route options. I made it back to the TH by 1:15pm and made the long drive home.
Ballard
Ballard
There is better route info on other TR's, I mostly posted this as a current conditions update for the area and it's still open! 9.25 miles 4700 elevation gain 7 hrs

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
b00

b00
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 5:25 pm 
nice! sorry about the drive, but so glad to hear that area is not staying lonely.
raising3hikers wrote:
...steep brush and loose rocks...
obviously a ringing endorsement for ballard! a quick question for you eric: did you see any seat belts hanging out of car doors in ballard? :>)

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 6:58 pm 
Your photo of Azurite Peak made me wonder how many names in WA are applied to both a peak and a lake.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm 
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 am 
7 hours round trip. How many total hours in the car to compare? 12? Nice ratio!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
If I would have known it would take 6 hrs to get to the TH, I probably would have waited.
+
raising3hikers wrote:
the smoke was still heavy but I could see a little ways out there.
+
raising3hikers wrote:
The route to the other boulder field was kind of a pain.
= dumpster dive-esque kissass.gif