Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments, 8/15-8/23/2015 (various peaks)
Previous :: Next Topic  
radka

radka
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:02 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Summary
This year we won the Enchantments lottery and were super excited to spend a week up in the area for a bunch of peak bagging. We wanted to climb all the Bulger Peaks we hadn’t yet, do some technical climbing, and explore the area beyond the main thru-hiker trail (which was also on the list of objectives). The weather held up and we had a great time.

Day 1 - Approach

We dropped our car off at very crowded Snow Lake TH. We were picked up by our new friend Feng and his 10-year old son Aaron for a shuttle to Stuart Lake TH. We had a lot of interest from our circle of friends to leverage our permits, but over 50% backed out. To fill our unused permit slots, we advertised availability to various outlets, and Feng was a responder. Turns out we had a common friend which again reinforces how small the community is. We arrived at a very crowded Stuart Lake TH. Seems like at some point a shuttle from Leavenworth needs to be considered because most of the cars were large groups of day-hikers.

We loaded our 50 pound packs on our backs and started up the trail around 10am. While on the trail a bunch of people asked us how long we were staying, what we were eating, what we were climbing...the questions were pretty extensive. After a while, we developed a shorter answer to the latter question in the form of George Carlin’s 7 Dirty Words. It was obscene and graphic and, sadly, we never used them as a response.

A few hundred feet from the top of Aasgard, 2 of our other friends, Carry and Paulina, caught up to us. They moved a lot faster given they started an hour and half after us! It was a great moment to finally reach the plateau around 5pm. Our plan was to stay between Inspiration Lake and Perfection Lake for the entire week so as people came up later in the week, they would have some idea where to look for us. This location was also pretty close to the center of all our objectives. Carry and Radka went ahead to stake a claim while I waited for Feng, Aaron, and Paulina to reach Aasgard. It’s another hour to get there with heavy packs. Carry and Radka had found a larger campsite at the bottom of the path to the toilet. Perfection!

It felt great to finally get the heavy load off our backs with the knowledge that we wouldn’t be moving camp for an entire week. We were still waiting for Rena and Miho to join us but they were expected to arrive later as they started from Snow Lake TH. They arrived around 8pm and now the entire group was together.

going up Aasgard
going up Aasgard

Day 2 – Little Annapurna with Horizontal Spire\Pennant Peak exploration

The group decided to take it easy and hence Little Annapurna was the goal for the day. It only took about 2 hours from camp to the summit with lots of cairns along the way. I was surprised by how many excellent camping sites we passed along the way on the NE Spur of Annapurna. The views from the summit were thick with smoke in the sky, something we’d be getting more of on this trip. Note that references to smoke in this trip report are not complaints, just facts.

going up Little Annapurna
going up Little Annapurna
pretty smoky
pretty smoky
Enchantment Pk in the background
Enchantment Pk in the background
Little A summit
Little A summit

After summiting Little Annapurna and getting another Bulger, Radka and I decided we wanted to climb Horizontal Spire and Pennant Peak. After all, they are merely Becky Class 4. So we broke away from the group and headed down towards Crystal Lake. We never made it completely down to the lake as we found a gully leading down to the Crystal Creek drainage before the outlet from the lake.

We dropped a few hundred feet, then decided we’d traverse to avoid losing more elevation. Bad idea. The traverse is over talus slopes that are labelled a glacier on the map but with a glacier no-more. In hindsight, it would have been less effort to descend further in to the valley than traversing. As such, progress was slow to the east facing gully that leads up to the col between Pennant Peak and Little Annapurna. This gully is very loose class 2 and 3. About halfway up the gully, there’s a prominent cliff and once we got to it, we could see a few class 4 options to get above it, but all were guarded by loose class 3 and kitty litter over slabs with exposure. Given it was getting later in the day, minimal beta, at least 2 hours back to Crystal Lake, and crappy rock, we decided it was best to turn around and head back to camp.

ugly gully
ugly gully
Horizontal Spire on the left
Horizontal Spire on the left

This time we dropped all the way down to the valley before heading to the Crystal Lake outlet. The travel here was definitely better than traversing the slopes only a few hundred feet above, but not much better.

Fun?
Fun?

We arrived at Crystal Lake and worked our way to Perfection Lake. We explored a route back to camp along the western shores but it cliffed out and forced us to go around the lake instead. During this time, we kept discovering beautiful settings and taking notes to potentially return to them in the fall for photography. We got back to camp around 8pm on the take-it-easy-day.

Nah
Nah

Day 3 – Prusik Peak via West Ridge

There was a proposal to leave camp at 6am but I had to sound the crazy alarm! We agreed on 7am but in reality left around 7:30am. Before leaving camp, we bid farewell to Feng and Aaron who were hiking out. A quick 20-minute hike brought us to Prusik Pass and another 30 minutes or so and we were at the base of the climb with a party of 2 already on the first pitch. We geared up and carefully stowed our packs, not wanting a repeat goat theft like the last year on Cruiser. Paulina, Radka, and I were climbing as a party of 3 while Rena and Miho were 2.

Pitch one
Pitch one
yoga?
yoga?

Paulina led the first pitch up while I belayed. I resolved to let Paulina and Radka do all the leading for the day.
Right after I started up the first pitch, Miho started her lead. Then right after that, literally 1 minute later, a team or 2 climbed right over her. Oh, we’re simul-climbing, we’ll be quick. A bit rude in my opinion, especially their opinion that our group of 5 “was big”. The lead climber eventually caught up to me and could not wait the 30 seconds for me to clean a piece of gear and climbed over me as well. At least he asked if it was ok, I said go ahead, since my answer likely had no weight in his decision. I came up the final 40 feet of climbing with their rope annoyingly getting in my way. Good times.
Thankfully, the hot dogs passed us at the 2nd belay and we didn’t have to deal with their superiority again.

Chris on pitch one
Chris on pitch one

Radka led the 2nd pitch up to the base of the infamous 5.7 friction slab. When I followed this pitch, I was still in my approach shoes. Humorously, there is a step across that requires jamming a left foot in a crack and it was too narrow for my approach shoes. So I had to change to rock shoes – well, left foot only. I arrived at the belay and then put my right rock shoe on as well.
Paulina led the 3rd pitch beautifully. I was glad not to lead it. When I followed it, I found it to be grippy friction and fun. Ever since Tuolumne last year, I’ve really enjoyed friction climbing at the 5.6/5.7 range.

finishing pitch 2
finishing pitch 2
the slab!
the slab!

Radka split the 4th pitch in half due to rope drag and I decided to lead the final flake and squeeze chimney to the summit. The flake was interesting because feet aren’t so great but hands are. Then once standing on top of it, the wall is near vertical, so it’s not trivial to stay on the wall. The final squeeze chimney was super awkward, especially with a pack, but I inched my way up it until I got some good hands. I communicated the awkwardness and offered to set the belay up for the 5.8 off-width chimney but everyone wanted to do the squeeze chimney. I made an extended belay and offered to haul packs up on a loop which made the chimney less weird for those following. Soon enough we were all on top around 2pm. Man, we sure were slow! Good thing that other party passed us! We were all relieved… ahhh….

pitch 4
pitch 4
Chris starting up pitch 5
Chris starting up pitch 5

At the same time, friends of the other party were also topping out via the S Face (5.9+ in their opinion). They were quite a bit friendlier and from Revelstoke. We snapped some climbing photos of them to send to them later.

I decided to check my phone for signal. Not only did I have cellular, but I had data as well. I checked in on Facebook and asked for beta how to get down. The response was we needed wingsuits! We lounged on the summit for about an hour then started the N Side rappels.

It was five 60m single rope rappels total and went quickly with 3 ropes to keep from bottlenecking. The 2nd rappel has a 30-foot class 2-3 scramble skier’s right to the next rap station.

I think we were back to camp by 5pm and all agreed it was a fun and leisurely day. There we met Sara and her husband who had hiked in that day to leverage the now 2 open slots on our permit.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:02 pm 
Day 4 – Enchantment Peak

Today we bid farewell to Rena, Miho, and Paulina in the morning. We all hiked the Prusik Pass junction on Perfection Lake together before doing so. Then Carry, Radka, and I started up to Prusik Pass for the 2nd time… From the pass we swung left and chose a path of least resistance towards Enchantment Peak.

There are various cairns here and there. There are 2 peaks and the first one on the right is the Bulger summit. We never explored the left peak but it certainly looked more vertical and challenging from a distance. 2 hours after leaving camp and a short 4th class move we were on the summit. We lounged here for about an hour and I checked cell signal again. Once again, I had signal, and updated my family and friends as to our whereabouts.
On the hike back down we stopped before Prusik Pass and turned on Channel Crux. There was a party on the West Ridge of Prusik about to begin the 5.7 slab. We watched them climb the pitch then walked back to camp.

walking across Perfection Lake
walking across Perfection Lake

The rest of the day was spent lounging and looking in to our stove and water filter, both of which were not operating normally.
The water filter was just clogged from many glacial melt lakes mostly in the check valve. Simply taking the cartridge out and swishing water around in the carriage helped get some of the silt out to at least allow for normal fill rates but still requiring quite a bit of arm effort. We would have to repeat this process daily as the filter continued to intermittently stop working.
The stove, Whisperlite International, was on its 7th season, and we noted the fuel line valve was spinning infinitely to the left. I think when I last did the yearly maintenance I might have cross-threaded the valve when I put it back together. In any case, it’s plastic, and might have simply reached its life. I took it apart to investigate further but likely caused more damage in the process. After putting it back together, the valve was spinning infinitely in both directions. In other words, the fuel line was now permanently open. The stove still operates in this condition but it sure is cumbersome. Basically, we had to disconnect the fuel line whenever we needed to turn the stove off. And de-pressurize the bottle. Which is during priming and after every use. Each disconnect loses a small amount of fuel so we started to get a bit worried we’d have enough for the rest of the trip… Quite the hassle!
During the lounging and repair activities, Frank made it to camp. We were expecting one more arrival, Brett, but he never materialized.

Day 5 – Argonaut Peak and Dragontail Peak

This day was planned to be our longest and most strenuous day. We decided we would essentially climb Dragontail via the scramble route from Aasgard Pass, traverse to Pandora’s Box, descend to Colchuck Col, make a descending traverse in the Porcupine Basin to the south slopes of Argonaut, ascend the South Route (“Becky class 2”), summit, descend via the East Ridge, and then finally re-trace the route back to camp. This turned out to be a really scenic route and lots of fun!

We left camp around 7am and it took about 2 hours to get to the Dragontail Col. There was a 5-minute walk on snow to the col and we put crampons for it but didn’t bring the ice axe out. This section has seen enough travel, from goats and humans, that it almost looks like a sidewalk.

Then we traversed over to Pandora’s Box. I had gone through Pandora’s Box in 2009 but from the Colchuck Col and in early season. The key piece of information for this route is to not ascend the gully that leads directly to the gap below Pandora’s Box (where an overhanging boulder\chockstone exists). There are class 3\4 ledges\steps just north and above this gap. We found the passage that connects the south side basin of Dragontail to the west side couloir. Then we looked for the best way down leading in to the west side couloir. Various options exist and we found a class 3/4 one.

Pandora's Box
Pandora's Box

The couloir was completely snow free and hence looked very different then when I was last in it. Lots of loose rock and scree. We sent a few rocks down and were hoping no one or goats would be above us on the way back. Towards the bottom there are 2 choke points both with class 3, maybe 4, polished slabs on skier’s left. Nothing some butt scooching and friction moves can’t handle. Once below the 2nd choke, the fan began, and it was more straightforward and solid descent to Colchuck Col. 3 hours later, and we were finally within striking distance of Argonaut.

Argonaut and Stuart
Argonaut and Stuart
Argonaut and Colchuck
Argonaut and Colchuck
thr gully
thr gully

This next leg of the trip, the descending traverse through Porcupine Basin to the south side of Argonaut was mind-blowing. Granite slabs, larches, heather, grasses, meadows… Wow! A very special area of the Enchantments that probably sees few visitors. It was an absolute delight to move through this section and I think it was my favorite part of the entire trip.

After an hour we reached the South East ridge of Argonaut. We had to drop a few hundred more feet before we were able to move below it and traverse to the South Route gully. The traverse was across open forest with some side-hilling and steep grass. We were able to follow some goat trails which made the travel quicker. We reached the main south gully and were greeted with a couple cairns. We stopped here for lunch and it was about 1pm when we started back up.

Not long after starting the ascent, we came across a very small pool of running water, and decided to fill up here. We were both down to about a liter and were pretty unsure when we’d encounter another water source. The day was running pretty hot but it had a nice breeze at times. We didn’t know at the time but this was the start of the next system moving in and would bring gusty winds the next 2 days.

Ascent gully
Ascent gully
Looking down
Looking down

About 2 hours in to the gully, we reached the short class 4 section that is just before the summit ridge. We decided to rope up for it simply to be attached to the mountain. Prior to this, the gully we went up certainly wasn’t all class 2, so we’re not sure if we went up the gully referenced in Beckey.
The final summit block was pretty interesting and we reached the top around 3:30pm. I checked cell signal and it was pretty intermittent and weak. We knew we had a long way back to camp and left the summit before 4. We followed Tom Unger’s description of the descent and found it to be spot-on. We finished the 4 rappels, were out of harnesses, and ready to walk by 5pm.

Colchuck, Dragontail, gully to Pandora's Box
Colchuck, Dragontail, gully to Pandora's Box

We stopped at the Porcupine Creek headwaters for one last break and water stop before the dreaded climb back up to Pandora’s Box. It actually wasn’t too bad and we were able to skirt most of the scree and find mostly lodged talus.

Given it was only 7:30pm now and Dragontail was “right there” we felt obligated to tag it. This was my 5th time on Dragontail and Radka’s 2nd. The winds were really picking up on the summit now. We briefly enjoyed the sunset and I had enough signal to get some texts and another check-in out. I found it pretty hilarious Dragontail Peak was already a known location.

Fires
Fires
Enchantments from Dragontail
Enchantments from Dragontail

Our goal now was getting to Aasgard Pass before headlamps were required.
We made Aasgard Pass at 9pm right as headlamps became necessary. We looked towards Chelan and Wolverine fire. It was really going. In awe and sadness, we could see the red-orange-yellow colors from the fire on the bottom of billowing smoke cloud, something we had never seen before. Taking a deep sigh, we trudged back to camp in the growing gusty winds. We got back at 9:45pm and cooked under the vestibule. The inside was already completely covered in dust, blowing through the mesh netting. It was a difficult night of sleep with the wind gusts likely around 40mph. Fortunately our next day was planned to be light.

Day 6 – McClellan Peak

After a poor night of sleep, we woke up to bid Frank farewell. He offered to leave us his MSR Pocket Rocket and whatever fuel was left in his canister which we graciously accepted. We learned that Frank had run in to Brett the previous day which was good to hear. At some point after Frank left, we started up towards McClellan.

We chose to cross the outlet\inlet of Perfection Lake\Sprite Lake and head up the ridge climber’s right. From there we’d traverse towards the gully next to the prominent feature known as The Prong. This worked out quite well as the ridge was mostly granite slabs and fun friction. The traverse consisted of rock glacier and moraine consistency.

The gully was short and filled with lots of scree but not too bad. Once we gained the ridge line we wrapped around right to McClellan. We didn’t really know the route to the summit, only that it was class 3. We didn’t wrap around far enough and went up the “adventure” route which was probably still class 3 but had some semi-exposed slabs. Once that brought us to the summit block we saw there was an easier way which we’d use for our descent.

The Prong
The Prong

Cell signal was once again good here. This was the clearest of our days so far, the nightly wind blowing all the smoke eastward. We could see the system that was moving in. Always cool to see clouds off to the west and then clear skies east of the crest. As the day went on, some lenticulars started to build off to the east. We explored a few of the crags around the area. Lots of potential for climbing up in this area.

On the descent we decided to descend towards Leprechaun Lake and make a loop for some extra exploration. We hit a spot with lots of tiny waterfalls between Sprite Lake and Leprechaun Lake where we saw a few currently unused campsites. Very beautiful area. We eventually crossed the main trail then headed up towards Gnome Tarn.

Ahaha! This is where people take “that photo” of Prusik reflected in the water. We lounged around here for a while and sunbathed. As the sun got lower on the horizon we descended back to camp and felt good about our leisurely day. The wind was about the same that night as the previous but we were used to it now and slept through it fine.

Temple Ridge
Temple Ridge
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 pm 
Day 7 – Edwards Peak (The Mole) via South Face

We wanted to get some more technical climbing in since we’d lugged all this metal gear up. We had good beta on The Mole and positive recommendation from Jim Nelson so decided that was the next objective. We went up to Prusik Pass for the 3rd time.

+The Mole in the distance
Shield Lake
Shield Lake

Shield Lake looks much smaller and closer to Prusik Pass than it really is. Another very scenic area that doesn’t get as much traffic as the main trail. We stayed along the western shore where a well-defined trail exists and walked directly on the shore in a few places as well. Soon we hit the next lake, Earle Lake. Again we stayed along the western shore and passed a few places where toilets were marked. Towards the northern end we hit some cliffs and had to find the path of least resistance through them. Then we hit Mesa Lake, the final lake before we’d head up to Edwards Mesa. The eastern shore of this lake is a big granite slab that looks awesome!

From here we crossed the outlet and headed up to the pass that separates Rat Creek drainage from Toketie flats. At the saddle, there is a small tarn and we saw well preserved bear tracks in the mud. Next we started to head up the Southwest Ridge of Edwards Mesa. We hit some cairns here and there and soon enough topped out. The top of the mesa is a really cool place and we took a little detour before going to the climbing route. We actually found some drainages that had running water on top of it, so there must be an underground spring somewhere. We also hit a few boggy areas. Finally, we hit the NW corner of the mesa and dropped some elevation before traversing over the gully where the South Face route on The Mole starts.
It took about 3 hours to get here from camp which was much more than I had anticipated.

the Mesa
the Mesa
First view
First view
What do we do here?
What do we do here?
approach gully
approach gully
gigantic chockstone
gigantic chockstone

We geared up and located the first 5.7 crack crux pitch. Radka took the lead and protected it beautifully.

First crack
First crack
start of pitch two
start of pitch two

After she brought me up, I took the 2nd pitch which I decided to split in half. The 2nd pitch has a really awkward hidden flake with a chimney behind it that requires some down-climbing. After that the 2nd 5.7 crux, a crack is encountered with a chimney behind it. I had to stop here and really think about how to do this. In the end I did some combination of lieback on the crack and stemming on the chimney. Pretty intense 5.7 moves and I was glad we had split the pitch up otherwise rope drag could have been a problem.

I brought Radka up and she did 1 final lead from there to the summit. From here we could see Icicle Creek road and had really great cell coverage here.

Mole on the summit of the Mole!
Mole on the summit of the Mole!

From the summit, it was 3 rappells back to the gully and our gear. Beckey talks about an east face rappel which we did find (1 old bolt, 1 new bolt, and 1 old piton) but decided not to go that way since all our beta said to descend the climbing route. There’s a short scramble between the end of the 2nd rappel to the 3rd rappel.

Final rappel
Final rappel
Mole approved
Mole approved

We packed up and started to head back around 5pm. Instead of re-tracing our trail on the western lake shores, we chose to stay on the eastern shores. Which meant we got to walk across the granite slab east of Mesa Lake. It was so cool! Towards the inlet, the slab cliffs out, but we found a short weakness with a few steps of class 3 leading back to the lake.

The eastern shore of Earle Lake was much nicer than the cliffy section we encountered on the western side. There was a faint trail in a few places. We also saw more well-preserved animal tracks in the mud. About halfway up the stream that connects Shield Lake to Earle Lake we crossed back over the western shores and re-gained the main trail which we’d stay on the entire way back Prusik Pass.

At this point in the return trip, more and more smoke was blowing in. What had started out as a very clear day was quickly becoming post-apocalyptic. The views of Temple Ridge towers were getting faint. The air smelled more and more like campfire. Ash started to rain from the sky. By the time we reached the half-way point around Shield Lake, visibility was dramatically reduced, perhaps to only a few hundred feet. Temple Ridge peaks were gone. Prusik Pass was gone. Only thick smoke remained. The air temperature had also gone down significantly and it felt like a brisk fall day. We were really astonished by this rapid change and also saddened by what was happening with the forest fires. We both agreed if we woke up tomorrow and the smoke was still bad that we’d leave a day early. We got back to camp around 8pm and met Sara #2 and her friends that would be sharing the permit with us for the final weekend.

smoke arrives
smoke arrives
smoke, no filter
smoke, no filter
Shield Lake
Shield Lake
"Views" from Prusik Pass
"Views" from Prusik Pass

Day 8 –Coney Lake “exploration”

We woke up to somewhat hazy skies but not nearly as thick as the evening before. We had tossed around the idea of doing the NW Ridge of Colchuck Balanced Rock on this day but after The Mole yesterday weren’t too interested in going down Aasgard Pass and then back up it! To get to Conney Lake, we went back to Prusik Pass, for the 4th time. Then we dropped about halfway to Shield Lake before starting cross-country travel. We were aiming for a saddle in the ridge SE of the lake. At first, our line of travel was similar to the one we took when we bagged Cannon last year but quickly started to head in much more northward direction.

Edwards Mesa and the Mole
Edwards Mesa and the Mole

We contoured around buttresses and slabs with the occasional meadow and bench. Very lovely country. Eventually this brought us to a boulder field with very large boulders. We hopped this for a few hundred feet before getting on a mix of talus and scree and then finally solid ground again. We crossed the ridge on easy terrain and started a leftward descent towards Coney Lake. For some reason, in my mind, I thought we had never been there. Right before it finally came in to view, I realized, we had been there!

Last year after we climbed Cannon, we decided to descend the route discussed in Jeff Smoot’s book. Worst. Route. Ever. Long story short, we didn’t do the route described in that book. Instead, we discovered a new route! It brought us down to Conney Lake to bypass the jagged and gendarmed ridge the book drew a straight line over. Hahaha… I guess it’s funny now but it sure wasn’t last year.

I told Radka we actually had been to this lake before. She said, “Yeah. I know. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. I’ve already told you like 50 times.” Oh. Well, I guess I wasn’t processing the information correctly.
Slightly above the lake is a smaller lake that was drying up. We dropped down to that one finding some ramp through a cliff band. The headed down to Conney Lake. It’s actually a very nice lake and it was pretty sweet to be here in complete solitude.

We found a nice rock to nap on and relaxed for a while. We decided to make a loop for the way back. We hiked east and gained another saddle in an adjacent ridge. There were actually a few cairns here. Then we dropped down to Earle Lake which isn’t that straight-forward. It seems most of the terrain above and west of Earle Lake is cliff bands. But we found a drainage that went with some steep grass. Eventually we re-gained the west bank shores of the lakes and headed back to camp.

Day 9 – Exit

Dust bathing
Dust bathing

The last day of the trip arrived. We still had fuel left and probably enough for another dinner and breakfast. Oh well, Frank’s pocket rocket was tiny. We had never seen the section of the trail between Leprechaun Lake and Snow Lake TH. Lots of really nice country here. But once we got to Snow Lake proper, it was just a long slog. We only saw 3 groups between camp and Snow Lake and wondered where everyone was. Once we hit Snow Lake, though, we started running into lots of people. Most smelled a lot better than we did.

What nuts?
What nuts?
chipmunk yoga
chipmunk yoga

6 hours after leaving camp, we made it to the trailhead, and were relieved to see our car hadn’t been stolen or vandalized. Only one thing was left to do, and that was to have dinner at South!

Our next trip to the Enchantments will likely be in fall when the larches are turning and possibly when there is some snow cover. After spending a week there, it made sense how the area got its name… it’s quite enchanting and magical. Just ask the gnomes, sprites, and leprechauns creating mischief in the fairy land lakes.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 8:27 pm 
radka wrote:

First rate photo! I hope that's in my nwhiker calendar next year. Takes maximum advantage of the haze for atmospheric effect.

--------------
Mid Fork Rocksflickr
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 10:46 am 
Wow. Despite smoke, looks like a dream trip. Thanks for the beta on Argonaut, I'll add that one to the to-do list.

--------------
"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there."
My photos
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm 
Great shots! You managed to get a different take on some of them too (e.g. the Prusik Peak one that puzzlr pointed out), which isn't easy to do with such an oft photographed spot. up.gif

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography site: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com/
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gavastik

gavastik
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 6:12 pm 
Incredible photos, Radka!
But you're too kind to me. I whined and cursed up the slab, and you know it. smile.gif

I'm so glad you got all these summits, what an incredible trip!
LuWeeza

LuWeeza
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 9:47 pm 
great pics, looks to have been a great adventure!!  thanks for sharing!! enjoyed your journey

--------------
Psalm 119:105  Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 9:55 pm 
Nice job, you really made the most of the whole area.
Good idea splitting the second part of The Mole in two halves to reduce rope drag.  If I ever feel up to attempting that peak, I'll try that.

--------------
“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Sep 01, 2015 10:01 pm 
You are such a gifted photographer. I always enjoy your TRs. Bad ass chicks your climbing party. No doubt.
Jackal

Jackal
PostFri Sep 04, 2015 8:03 pm 
The sun setting from Dragontail is phenomenal. Beautiful timing, lighting and composition.

--------------
jackmcleodphoto.com
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSat Sep 05, 2015 10:01 am 
Great TR & pics (as usual). Hauling those packs with food, climbing gear, & camera was well worth it up.gif  up.gif

--------------
jimdockery.com
Mr Red

Mr Red
PostSat Sep 05, 2015 5:25 pm 
radka wrote:
After summiting Little Annapurna and getting another Bulger,

Really Chris.  Way too much detail.  The censors will get you.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostSat Sep 05, 2015 10:15 pm 
Thank you all for your kind comments! I am glad you have enjoyed the trip report. Keeps the motivation going for future reports!

Quote:

Really Chris.  Way too much detail.  The censors will get you.

Hello Mr Red! Welcome to nwhikers! We are so very honored to have your first post be a response to our thread. BTW, have you waxed your skis yet? There is freshies out there!  wink.gif
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 06, 2015 8:53 am 
Trip of a lifetime!  Lovely photos, as always.  up.gif  up.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments, 8/15-8/23/2015 (various peaks)
  Happy Birthday Creaky Knees, ryleymyers, PNWdave, penc!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: