Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Peltoms' work makes Seattle Times headlines, 09-08-2015
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 8:09 am 
Bernardo wrote:
Joker, this is the kind a study that undermines credibility in climate science.
I'll be interested to see if this approach to analyzing the time series holds up or not. This is just one study, and as I've written before it's wise to be cautious about taking any single study overly seriously. But also unwise to completely ignore them. It's not clear to me that this study merely used cleverness to get the result they wanted, which is what you seem to be inferring. If you have more than a gut-based critique of their work, I'd be quite interested to read it. Your quoted sentence also implies that this is merely an instance of a much broader class of studies that are significant enough in their number to discredit the field. Is that your intent? The phrase "the science is settled" is an unfortunate boiling down of a somewhat more complex discussion. The science of anything is never "settled," is it? As many have noted, we keep seeing the hottest years on record pass by, which seems odd for a period in which global temperatures have stopped rising.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 12:45 pm 
Joker- I see what Bernardo is saying. It seems weird that the hiatus was, as far as I can tell, widely accepted, and theories have been proposed on its cause, but now apparently it didn't really happen? In any case I have little doubt that warming will continue, but this seems strange.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 1:05 pm 
Well, yeah. You know what they say - "lies, damn lies, and statistics..." But of course that can cut either way here - perhaps the new work is just flaky, or perhaps the authors truly did find a better tool for looking at the time series data than had been previously applied. I don't have the expertise to evaluate this on my own. I believe that if the work I referenced is bad science that works backwards to the solution that the authors hoped for, their supposed contribution to the field will be forgotten as anything more than an obscure asterisk. As the Science article you reference suggests (and worth noting that Science is generally praised for very high standards for choice of what to publish), there has been a lot of work invested in understanding what to make of the temperature trends since ~'98. So a result such as the one in this paper is sure to get plenty of scrutiny. For folks who look beyond sound bites about science, individual papers should not do much to harm credibility of an entire field of work.

peltoms

peltoms
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 3:41 pm 
There has been no hiatus in glacier retreat with each decade having a doubling of mass loss from the 1980's, 1900's to the 2000's. 2014 State of the Climate-Alpine Glaciers This despite having already lost the lowest elevation areas. On Mount Baker and Mount Rainier all major glaciers had advanced from 1950-1980 with the peak occurring earlier on Mount Rainier.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 9:49 pm 
cefire wrote:
albrightmd wrote:
Prof Don Easterbrook of Western Washington University in Bellingham WA responds to peltoms' post:
Simply trying to get clarification here. I thought that "albrightmd" was Easterbrook. Now I'm confused? confused.gif
Well your confusion is warranted in that Albright is to UW, as Easterbrook is to WWU. And Albright, please stop presenting yourself as a "Research Climatologist," your UW position is "Research Meteorologist." There is a big difference.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 am 
peltoms wrote:
There has been no hiatus in glacier retreat with each decade having a doubling of mass loss from the 1980's, 1900's to the 2000's. This despite having already lost the lowest elevation areas.
That's crazy.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Sep 24, 2015 11:15 am 
These are from a paper from Joel T. Harper (WWU) Arctic and Alpine Research Vol 25-332 (Available from JSTOR) Glacier Terminus Fluctuations on Mount Baker, Washington, U.S.A., 1940-1990, and Climatic Variations
Easton
Easton
Baker glaciers 1940-1990
Baker glaciers 1940-1990

albrightmd

albrightmd
PostFri Sep 25, 2015 4:41 am 
In other words, if peltoms had arrived on the local seen just 30 years earlier in 1954, instead of 1984, he might very well have been concerned about the coming of the next ice age after 30 years of field work. It is worth recalling that this 30 year period of glacial advance was a time of steadily increasing atmospheric CO2 levels. One things for sure, if the glaciers were to advance southward across Seattle again to a depth of 3000 ft, that would indeed constitute a real and profound disaster.
Dalekz wrote:
These are from a paper from Joel T. Harper (WWU) Arctic and Alpine Research Vol 25-332 (Available from JSTOR) Glacier Terminus Fluctuations on Mount Baker, Washington, U.S.A., 1940-1990, and Climatic Variations
Easton
Easton
Baker glaciers 1940-1990
Baker glaciers 1940-1990

Mark Albright Research Climatologist Washington State Climatologist (1987-2003) Dept of Atmospheric Sciences University of Washington
drm

drm
PostFri Sep 25, 2015 7:54 am 
albrightmd wrote:
One things for sure, if the glaciers were to advance southward across Seattle again to a depth of 3000 ft, that would indeed constitute a real and profound disaster.
Except that ice age glacial formation takes nearly 100,000 years. Based on Cliff Mass' criteria that disaster must be sudden, I think it wouldn't qualify.

albrightmd

albrightmd
PostFri Sep 25, 2015 10:14 am 
drm wrote:
Except that ice age glacial formation takes nearly 100,000 years. Based on Cliff Mass' criteria that disaster must be sudden, I think it wouldn't qualify.
The glacial ice vacated Puget Sound just 11,000 years ago, a mere speck of time in the geological time scale: http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5087

Mark Albright Research Climatologist Washington State Climatologist (1987-2003) Dept of Atmospheric Sciences University of Washington
drm

drm
PostFri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 am 
albrightmd wrote:
drm wrote:
The glacial ice vacated Puget Sound just 11,000 years ago, a mere speck of time in the geological time scale: http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5087
Right, the glaciers melt a lot faster than they form for ice ages. Almost 10 times faster. Yet another piece of proof of positive feedback for warming, but that's another debate.

albrightmd

albrightmd
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 7:46 am 
This note on the recent history of glaciers on Mt Baker appeared earlier this week: http://iceagenow.info/2015/09/glaciers-advancing-in-washington-state/

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 10:54 am 

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
cefire

cefire
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 11:30 am 
albrightmd wrote:
This note on the recent history of glaciers on Mt Baker appeared earlier this week: http://iceagenow.info/2015/09/glaciers-advancing-in-washington-state/
FYI, the website you link to also advertises for: "Nostradamus, 2012 and the End of Times" and "Joshua Warren on Hunting Ghosts" Seems legit...

drm

drm
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 11:37 am 
And the headline of the article is "Glaciers advancing in Washington State." While Easterbrook presumably does not control the headline of the article, I have not seen any complaints here about such a misleading headline, and that clearly suggests that they are advancing now, not that they had greater extent a few decades ago, as the article's content describes.