Forum Index > Trip Reports > Three Fingers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 9:04 am 
This was our first time going to the iconic lookout that towers over central Puget Sound. Well, not for Steve... but for Galadriel, RichP, and myself. Impossibly perched on top of a gigantic rock on top of a cliff mountain that is draped with a glacier, this historic lookout was built in 1932-33. It is accessed by a trail that starts in a jungle, winds up through an alpine area and into cliffy, snowy terrain, which finally culminates into a ledge walk and three 15 -20' ladders. Wow! The scenery is stunning, especially the last mile or so, as the trail weaves towards the first "finger" of Three Fingers - rocky pinnacles that form the huge mountain. A couple miles below the summit is Goat Flats - a wonderful park-like alpine setting with tarns and a jaw-dropping panorama of Puget Sound and the Olympics. I just can't believe I waited so long to do this popular hike. I like that now the road is washed out 10 miles from the trailhead, making Three Fingers Lookout more isolated. (It won't get trashed and vandalized like its neighbor, Mt. Pilchuck Lookout.) This wash out necessitates doing the closed road, or a steeper 6 mile hike. We chose to bike the closed road 10 miles to the trailhead.
Rich on the old bridge
Rich on the old bridge
Deb is overloaded
Deb is overloaded
We set out early Wed. 6:30 am and were on our bikes about 8:30 or so. I had huge paniers and my backpack, but I miraculously got myself and my heavy bike up to the trailhead (3,060’) in about 2 1/2 hours. (I didn't realize the grade of it until the way back - where you pretty much sail all the way down.) We stashed our bikes at the trailhead. The trailhead sign looks like its falling over, and Steve put a sign up on it about the upcoming closing of the lookout. The trail is pretty rocky and rooted at the beginning, for the first 2 miles. It was slow going. We made a quick stop to check out Saddle Lake (3,771’) and the pretty meadow behind it.
Three Fingers from the trail
Three Fingers from the trail
Saddle Lake
Saddle Lake
meadow at Saddle Lake
meadow at Saddle Lake
Rich and Sandra walking the meadow
Rich and Sandra walking the meadow
Mt. Bullon
Mt. Bullon
After Saddle Lake, the trail eases up on its jungle-like appearance and gradually transitions to subalpine terrain (4,100’). After Saddle Lake, you will find some water at Columbine and Noble Lakes, but they look more like tarns. Flowing water was barely trickling. We got to Goat Flats (4,900’) a bit bedraggled. That bike ride was a haul - and it was quite hot. But arriving at Goat Flat made us all happy and relieved. It was this alpine plateau with gorgeous views of central Puget Sound gleaming in the distance. Through a slot in the fingers of Three Fingers, sat the tiny, tiny lookout on top of this narrow, rocky cliff. Off to the north are fantastic views of Mt. Bullon and White Horse Mtn. It was more than I expected, after hearing so much about this hike. We set up camp and enjoyed views. Water up there was not great – small tarns that are quickly drying up. (We hauled water from below the flats.) Interestingly, no cell service on the flats, but if you go near the toilet, you'll find your 4G. smile.gif
resting at Goat Flats
resting at Goat Flats
happy campers
happy campers
Mt. Bullon, White Horse
Mt. Bullon, White Horse
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
Golden meadows
Golden meadows
telephoto of Three Fingers Lookout
telephoto of Three Fingers Lookout
sunset from Goat Flats
sunset from Goat Flats
orange sunset
orange sunset
The next morning we got on the trail around 8. The trail wound up a ridge to a saddle (Tin Can Gap, 5,730’), where it then began to weave around the rocky pinnacles. We ran into some guys who were camped at Tin Can Gap who gave us some info about snow conditions further up. After weaving through and around cliffs and rock out croppings, we crossed a nice stream and ended up at the base of the snowfield (6,570’) Steve, Sandra, and I put on crampons and easily went up it, while Rich stayed more towards the rocky rib on the left. It was just a short scramble up to where the 3 ladders stood - stacked precariously in crooked positions - up a series of gigantic boulders. It was fun to finally see them for myself. They were awkwardly placed, but did not feel shaky. After the last ladder, we were on top of a downsloping rock just below the lookout. There was a hand line placed which I used, even though the rock felt fairly grippy. With that cliff below, why take chances? The lookout was charming. It housed a nice chair and bed, some books, info about the lookout, maps, and a register. We crawled around it as much we could. On the north side there is a small area to lounge around, then a cliff that went down lower than I could see. Clouds had been chasing us high since we arose, and finally the marine layer was thickening up, not burning off as I'd expected. It made for some interesting atmospheric effects while up there, but too soon, it was time to start the tedious descent to our car.
Mt. Bullon and White Horse
Mt. Bullon and White Horse
misty tarn
misty tarn
jesus rays
jesus rays
moat section is dry
moat section is dry
Queest Alb Glacier
Queest Alb Glacier
fog and glacier
fog and glacier
cloud wave
cloud wave
ladder and lookout
ladder and lookout
group shot 1
group shot 1
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
cliff into clouds
cliff into clouds
Sandra
Sandra
Rich reads the register
Rich reads the register
Steve
Steve
coming down
coming down
Queest Alb Glacier
Queest Alb Glacier
clouds on Three Fingers
clouds on Three Fingers
We headed back to Goat Flats in the mist and fog, which started to drip after we continued lower into the clouds. Luckily, the trailhead remained below the clouds and was dry for our bike ride out. While the bike ride was a PITA on the way in, it was exhilarating on the way down. That was a fantastic way to end a hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 12:05 pm 
Super fun trip with great folks. I don't know how I let this one wait for so long, but I'm glad I finally got to it. I really enjoyed whizzing down those miles on a bike. I can't imagine doing this trip without one.
Getting ready for the bike ride to Tupso Pass.
Getting ready for the bike ride to Tupso Pass.
First views of Three Fingers while hiking.
First views of Three Fingers while hiking.
Saddle Lake
Saddle Lake
Shelter at Saddle Lake.
Shelter at Saddle Lake.
A glider above Goat Flats.
A glider above Goat Flats.
Three Fingers Lookout zoom from Goat Flats.
Three Fingers Lookout zoom from Goat Flats.
Goat Flats
Goat Flats
Sunset over Puget Sound from ridge above Goat Flats.
Sunset over Puget Sound from ridge above Goat Flats.
Clouds rising from the lowlands.
Clouds rising from the lowlands.
Lots of blasting to make this trail.
Lots of blasting to make this trail.
Hiking up.
Hiking up.
The top of the glacier while heading up.
The top of the glacier while heading up.
Preparing to ascend snowfield below summit.
Preparing to ascend snowfield below summit.
Above the ladders.
Above the ladders.
View from the door.
View from the door.
The other fingers.
The other fingers.
Looking down from the top ladder.
Looking down from the top ladder.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 1:37 pm 
I keep seeing nice TRs for this hike. I've been up there, but it's been a LONG time. I'm not very much into bike approaches or extra road walking to start a hike, but this is starting to become an itch I might have to scratch...

Geno the Viking

Geno the Viking
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 2:46 pm 
Thanks for the wonderful report. I never made it all the way to the top of Three Fingers and I'm sure I won't get there now. This had got to be the least snow on The mountain in our life times.

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 3:08 pm 
I didn't think I would ever do this trip either, but with a little help from my friends on the bike part, I succeeded. They carried most of my gear on the way up, but still I struggled and ended up pushing my bike more than I rode. Riding down was much easier! Another SUPER trip with Deb and Steve, and really great to meet Rich P.
Trailhead sign
Trailhead sign
Arriving at Goat Flats
Arriving at Goat Flats
Welcome sign
Welcome sign
morning magic
morning magic
Rich and Deb on the trail
Rich and Deb on the trail
Best Western Accomodations
Best Western Accomodations
3 fingers backyard seating for Deb
3 fingers backyard seating for Deb

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 4:27 pm 
Geno the Viking wrote:
This had got to be the least snow on The mountain in our life times.
I think that can accurately be said about quite a few locations in Washington State currently. Such a crazy year.

justpeachy

justpeachy
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 6:08 pm 
How long ago did the road wash out?

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 6:15 pm 
Nice TR! Maybe, one day I'll make it to Three Fingers Lookout. Love the atmospheric pictures! up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 6:23 pm 
An article on Harold Engles from The Seattle Times in 1992 describing an upcoming climb of Three Fingers when he was 90. He and Harry Bedal were key figures in building the lookout.
Quote:
Sunday, August 30, 1992 - Page updated at 12:00 AM 90 Years Young: Engles Just Keeps On Climbing By Ron Judd Harold Engles' friends really ought to tell him to slow down. After all, Engles, one of Darrington's best-known citizens, turns 90 this weekend, making him older than most trees being logged in the area. But friends of Engles know you can't take the mountain out of a mountain man. And Engles, who served as a U.S. Forest Service District Ranger for 34 years (25 of them as head of the Darrington ranger district), is about as much of a true mountain man as you'll find these days. So instead of discouraging him, Engles' pals next weekend will join him in what he does best: Climbing. He and his pals aim to scale Three Fingers Mountain. That's no cakewalk. It's a 6,800-foot peak, and Engles didn't pick it by accident. He and a partner, the late Harry Bedal, were first to scale the mountain - 63 years ago. Engles has no qualms about climbing at his age, despite recent surgery that had him under the weather for a few weeks. His doctor didn't really approve the climb, but didn't really know about it, either. "We didn't discuss it too close," Engles said. "He told me I could eventually go back (to climbing) if things went right." Engles, who stays in shape by taking a hike of several miles every morning, says it's a lot tougher to reach the summit of Three Fingers than it was on his first ascent in 1929. "It depends on the conditions - and your age," he said. "Yeah, you're slower. The years are going to take a little out of you. You can try, but you can't really get away from that." But Engles figures he makes up much of that with experience. He's been up the mountain so many times he's lost count. Enough times to learn that it's no fun in bad weather. "We won't try it if it's raining," he said. "If it isn't too good, we'll probably just go up there and camp." Engles, a legend among local Forest Service officials, was a contemporary of the agency's founding fathers, including Gifford Pinchot, the first Forest Service chief, and Aldo Leopold, an early advocate of scientific forestry. His work in the Darrington area lives on, as evidenced by an announcement this weekend that a 40-acre forest Engles set aside 50 years ago has been tabbed as the future Harold Engles Forest Reserve. Fred Harnisch, the Darrington district's current ranger, said he's proposed that the trees Engles long sought to preserve be saved as a permanent educational exhibit, particularly for local school children. If the project receives Forest Service approval, a network of trails will be built on the property with help from Darrington schools, Harnisch said. The 40-acre stand includes trees harvested at various times, as well as some nearly 200 years old that Engles protected from logging decades ago, he said. Harnisch also plans to ask school children help compile an information booklet about the forest. But he believes most questions about the woods might best be addressed to Engles himself, who Harnisch fully expects to spend mornings hiking the reserve bearing his name.

ree

ree
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 7:55 pm 
RichP- Thanks for the historical interview. Very interesting. Glad the old timer got to his lookout at the end of his life. I did some research at the NW collections room at the Everett Library for the Everett Mountaineers and came up with these vintage photos relevant to Three Fingers.
Vintage photo of Three Fingers work crew  (Harry Bedal)
Vintage photo of Three Fingers work crew (Harry Bedal)
Vintage photo showing supplies being hauled up to Three Fingers.
Vintage photo showing supplies being hauled up to Three Fingers.
Just Peachy... I'm not sure when the road was closed. Maybe someone else here can answer that. To me, it is a blessing. It's a front range hike, so it would be easy to get overrun. Now, if you want it, you have to work a bit harder for it. biggrin.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 8:46 pm 
I was told the bridge across S Fork Canyon Cr, where the road is closed, is separating from the road bed, and won't be fixed.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostSat Aug 22, 2015 11:40 pm 
Cool TR! Really like the pictures of Bullon and Whitehorse, Fog and Glacier.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Aug 23, 2015 1:51 pm 
Jeff wrote:
I think I drove it in fall 2010 and it washed out soon after. Maybe in 2011 at the latest. I forgot what the story was, but they tried to open it up but a bunch of bad luck got in the way. I do believe they cleaned up most of the damage. The road is in great shape, but I think one short area where it is sort of sliding out so that is probably why it is closed.
It's actually not the washout that has the road closed, but rather the fact that the bridge over Canyon Creek is off it's footings. Until (if ever) the bridge can be fixed/replaced, the road will remain closed.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Aug 25, 2015 11:38 pm 
Love the glacier pictures. Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Aug 26, 2015 9:17 am 
Steve thank you for going in ahead and posting the signs. It's no fun playing bad cop and kicking people out, people heeded the warning and stayed out of the work zone. What absolutely shocked me was how far the glacier receded. For example the photos are shot at the same location. Just above Tin Can Gap where there should be a moat to scramble behind to cross the glacier. There is no Moat because the glacier receded at least 100 feet vertical!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential