Forum Index > Trail Talk > Heart lake (South of Twin Sisters)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slave524

slave524
PostMon Sep 14, 2015 8:34 pm 
I want to visit this lake and explore the area but I can't find any info about a trail. On a map it looks like I could get there from NF-1260 a ways past the road to Blue Lake. Any info/directions to the lake would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slave524

slave524
PostTue Sep 15, 2015 7:39 am 
Nevermind. Found a post from last year. Don't know how I missed it on my search...

Dringo

Dringo
PostWed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 pm 
OK, what IS the scoop on a trail to Heart Lake (Twin Sisters Range)? I can't find the post either.

Dringo

Dringo
PostFri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 pm 
You're right about NF-1260. There's a parking area just before the old bridge, now closed. Two miles of old road and easy hiking (except one washout) follow. At the end of the old road is what looks like a small quarry. A few yards before that, a stone arrow on the road marks the entrance to a scramble trail hidden in the brush. You can follow that about a tenth of a mile, then leave it to the right and bushwhack along the base of the slope until you see a way up. (Slabbyd said to follow the crest of the gentle ridge on the south side of the valley to the level of the tarns, then cut to the right to reach them) You'll come out by some shallow lakes south of Hearty Creek, at the base of the south ridge of the Hearty Creek valley. There's no trail, but fairly easy walking through the meadows at the base of the south ridge. The final cliff can be hiked over via a rockfall about 500 feet to the right of the falls coming out of the lake. Another, longer way in is to stay on the scramble trail to Three Lakes, then hike up the right side of the talus slope on the southernmost ridge of Twin Sisters. From there it's a fairly easy stroll west on the ridgetop to where you can see a way down to Heart Lake.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostSat Aug 27, 2016 5:55 pm 
There are a crapload of pictures from our trip earlier this year in this album. You'll have to wade through a bunch of other awesome pictures to get to them. No real trail and the lower section before the meadows is super brushy. We got attacked by mosquitos all day. Heart Lake and Other Things

Dringo

Dringo
PostSun Aug 28, 2016 5:42 pm 
Thanks for the photos of Hearty Creek. I missed a lot of the falls by following the easier terrain.

slave524

slave524
PostWed May 16, 2018 1:12 pm 
I can't believe I forgot to thank you all for the info! Thanks! biggrin.gif I never made to the lake. The smoke from the fires especially last year wrecked my poor asthmatic lungs. Hopefully I will be able to make it up there this year. Looking forward to seeing some of those great waterfalls in person!