Forum Index > Food & Grub > Age of Pop Tarts?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 8:48 pm 
I have eaten year old pop tarts that I found in the dog pack whilst wandering around in the woods. Do Pop Tarts last forever?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 pm 
not in my house -- those that weren't instantly eaten by the kids, get thrown out by my wife.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 10:56 pm 
I love pop tarts, but only the un-frosted type. Freddy's has the un-frosted strawberry, I really like blueberry too but haven't found those in a while.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Sep 16, 2015 11:45 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I really like blueberry too
Amazon sells them in bulk, but 96 pop-tarts are a bit much even for me.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 17, 2015 10:32 am 
Cool, I could be a Pop Tart salesmen on the side, but I would likely eat up all the profits. I ate a really healthy breakfast growing up, usually Pop Tarts and Chocolate Milk...out of Pop Tarts? Cinnamon Toast then.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Sep 17, 2015 10:56 am 
I threw a box into my "If We Get Cut Off" disaster supplies. The package had a June 2016 date on it, if I remember correctly. I gather supplies every fall in case we have winter floods.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
touron

touron
PostThu Sep 17, 2015 9:21 pm 
One of the nice things about poptarts is that if there is a national emergency, they make a great part of an emergeny diet (assuming one doesn't eat them all before the emergency has a chance to happen) and then when you are done, you can tape the foil wrappers together to create...a space blanket...which can also be used as a relector (for signaling or a solar stove). In fact they probably make up 9 of the 10 essentials, if not more.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Sep 18, 2015 7:33 pm 
Funny this should come up. I sweeping the floor the other day, my broom swept out a brown sugar - cinnamon pop tart. I recall several weeks ago thinking, "I know darn well I brought a pop tart out here to eat," but couldn't find it. Gave up thinking about it & got another one. So after I swept it from under the bed, I plunked it on top of a book on a table, where I promptly forgot about it. That was 2 weeks ago. I just saw this thread and it reminded me of that pop tart sitting on the table right behind me. So I grabbed it and just polished it off. It tasted a little like old ice cubes, but overall it went well. So far I'm still aliv

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
touron

touron
PostFri Sep 18, 2015 8:31 pm 
uhh.gif It sounds like the 5 second rule has been violated here. Either way, this may be a good time to revisit the science behind it:
Quote:
When you drop a piece of food on the floor, is it really okay to eat if you pick up within five seconds? This urban food myth contends that if food spends just a few seconds on the floor, dirt and germs won’t have much of a chance to contaminate it. Research in my lab has focused on how food and food contact surfaces become contaminated, and we’ve done some work on this particular piece of wisdom. http://www.popsci.com/does-5-second-rule-stand-up-to-science
Of course the scientist does not explore the extension to the 5 second rule, i.e. "God kissed it, Devil missed it." Saying this and blowing the dust off whatever you are about to eat extends the 5 seconds indefinitely.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.