Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Trail Closed by Goat Feeders
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Sep 17, 2015 8:50 pm 
Actually the goat was trying to get around my friend, who repositioned himself to try to ward it off, perhaps in a less than optimal, but ultimately effective way and I was indeed attempting to avoid it even before my friend decided to intercede given the obvious interest in my dog.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Sep 17, 2015 8:56 pm 
The goat gets the right of way whenever I encounter them. Even the female goats can be aggressive. The female mountain goats are the most aggressive females among North American undulates intraspecifically. The aggressiveness is independent of whether or not a kid is nearby. Here is another article by Dr. Cote http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steeve_Cote/publication/229196608_Dominance_hierarchies_in_female_mountain_goats_Stability_aggressiveness_and_determinants_of_rank/links/0a85e5305f3d5e60cb000000.pdf

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 17, 2015 10:18 pm 
My most recent standoff was with a big alpha billy in Headlight Basin this spring. My instinct is to stand my ground, shoo 'em away if they get too cozy and counter any aggression with a micro bluff charge or a small rock tossed at their feet, goat speak for "back off." IME, one or two cycles of the above results in a detente. I always pee on rock as a peace offering.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jul 11, 2016 5:37 pm 
Second hand, from "Goat Ambassador" volunteer at Scotchman. They had some spreading corn on top to feed goats last week. I saw six or eight Saturday. Goats that is. Actually about the same number of hikers.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 12, 2016 9:56 am 
In the ONP they advise throwing the rocks with the intention to hit the goat. My closest experience with them being aggressive was on the High Divide. They were not being aggressive towards me but towards each other and I was caught in the middle. There was a big alpha male with a collar, several paint splotches and a tag in each ear. He was harassing all the smaller males and they would run directly through our camp with no regard to anything in their way. We had to duck behind trees to get out of their fleeing path. I wasn't too keen on picking a fight with the big guy so I threw rocks at the smaller guys and they ran away - and he followed. A few females with babies stayed around for a while and they seemed peaceful as they ate all the paintbrushes in the vicinity. guns.gif There is a steep gully near the camp and I would pee off the edge, later I heard them scampering along that gully...made them have to work for it, but at least it was not the meadows that they were destroying...just a dirt gully.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
trestle

trestle
PostFri Jul 15, 2016 10:06 am 
Goats are pests and a nuisance. They have no place on instagram.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 15, 2016 10:10 am 
Real goats are a major agent of desertification. My biology prof showed us a photo of the cedars if Lebanon. All of them. Surrounded by a monastery wall that excluded the goats (and the humans, another major egant of desertification). If Tramp believed in global warming, perhaps he could build us a wall to keep out the carbon dioxide.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.