Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lambeau field Experience.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Sep 22, 2015 1:54 pm 
Well we (me, my wife, my daughter and one of my sisters) made the trip to Green Bay for the Seahawks game this past Sunday. Other than the undesirable result it was a ton of fun. Toured the stadium and visited their museum on Saturday. The experience is highly recommended for football fans. It was actually our 2nd trip to Lambeau field as we went 3 years ago for the Packers home opener against the 49ers in 2012 (my daughter is a big Packers fan and it was a high school graduation present). Very cool and the fans were very cool and very nice. All in fun. Never really even received any negative comments and never felt threatened and we were walking all over Wisconsin in our Seahawk attire pretty much all the time. We ran into a lot of Seahawks fans as well. Dunno if I could say the same if in Seattle or in some other stadiums. I'd like to think so but... The Lambeau crowd is so different than the crowd at Century Link. Much mellower and not near as loud. I mean I could sort of talk to the person next to me when the crowd was yelling. Not happening in Seattle. Hints if you do go 1) We flew into Milwaukee. Several options (Chicago and of course Green Bay). It was a nice compromise. Got a non stop on the way, but had to change on the way back (or leave real early). From the airport in Milwaukee it was about 111 miles to our hotel in Appleton and another 32 miles to Lambeau field. All freeway of some sort, most with 70MPH speed limits. 2) Don't stay in or right near Green Bay unless money is no object. Hotels on a home game weekend are $300-$400 a night and there is a 3-4 night minimum. We did that the first trip. This time we stayed in Appleton (about 32 miles south) and paid $400 something for 3 nights in a hotel. 3) Don't pre pay for parking. There is plenty of cheap $10, $20 or even free on street if early enough and don't mind walking a little. Our first trip we just walked the 2 miles from our hotel. This time we paid to park. 4) Allow time for the stadium tour. Make sure you do the "Champions Tour", not just the standard one. It is well worth the extra few bucks. Three years ago all they had was the standard tour as the new areas weren't open yet, so we have done both versions. Champions much cooler as you get to go up high into outside/open areas and view the stadium and surrounding countryside. We did a 9:15AM tour, had lunch there (pretty good food at the restaurant there), then did the museum and later dinner at the Old Chicago Pizza place down the road. A nice full day. 5) Food is definitely cheaper (except in the stadium, same rip off as here). I guess you can always get the "horse collar" sausage which for $20 is a nearly 2ft-long sausage bent into a Lambeau original roll and doused in healthy servings of beer cheese and sauerkraut ($20). We had lunch before the game at a sit down restaurant and for like $12 got a half rack of ribs and 2 side items. Sales tax is very low as well (although not so on hotels). 6) Go early in the season if you want to avoid the cold weather. It was 65 degrees at kickoff and probably 10 degrees cooler at the end of the game. Very pleasant. 7) All except the new seats added a few years ago are pretty much benches (with no backs). Reminds me of a high school stadium. Actually I think it was patterned after the University of Michigan's college stadium. They do rent padded seat backs if you don't want to sit on metal. We just sat on metal. If it was 0 degrees this might have been more of an issue.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Sep 22, 2015 6:06 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Actually I think it was patterned after the University of Michigan's college stadium.
Grew up in Ann Arbor and have sat through games on the benches of agony quite a few times. Actually, when the team is good (and often when they are not) you spend most of the time standing anyway. My standing theory is that they leave the bench seating so they can repaint the numbers (closer together) as needed to retain the status of The Big House as college football's biggest venue. At one point the capacity was several thousand more than it is now- they made a big deal about making the "seats" bigger a couple years ago. Regardless of the seats, places like Lambeau and Michigan Stadium are classic houses of sport; always fun to see games there.

If not now, when?
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Regardless of the seats, places like Lambeau and Michigan Stadium are classic houses of sport; always fun to see games there.
True, but I don't think I would want my home stadium that way every week having to sit on benches. Fun to visit/experience but as they say I wouldn't want to live in that stadium (at least on the benches). I was surprised there wasn't more standing up actually.... and the noise doesn't hold a candle to the Seahawks home venue... They may have offset the widening of the benches by adding the new section above (that by the way has real seats). That would keep their capacity over 80k. While the benches aren't "wide", we didn't feel too cramped in even though on one side we had some rather large ladies.

iron

iron
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 am 
wasn't qwest field designed with acoustics in mind so that noises are amplified? lambeau was designed before things were designed. i toured the packers HOF when i was 8 as part of a school field trip. always nice to go up north!

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 12:55 pm 
iron wrote:
wasn't qwest field designed with acoustics in mind so that noises are amplified?
Yes, but I've always heard how loud Lambeau is. In the two times I've been it's been quite the contrary. It's a very mellow crowd. Sure they cheer for their team, but it never seemed that loud. I mean if I can talk to the person next to me and even half hear what they are saying during the so called "loud" time it ain't that loud. It is definitely not made to hold sound in since it has no covering so that doesn't help. I just find it funny people claim it is loud in there. If this wasn't a claim I've heard over the years it wouldn't even be noteworthy. Now maybe they figured out a way to funnel all the sound down on the field.. LOL! The interesting thing about the Seahawks venue is that as loud as it is in the stands, it is even louder on the field (I've been on the field at the start of a game).

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 12:59 pm 
Maybe people from the Midwest are more pleasant and polite than those of us in the West, and that results in less stadium noise? Apparently Minnesota nice extends into Wisconsin.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Sep 23, 2015 2:19 pm 
That is really cool Tigerman. My only Seahawks experiences have been at the Kingdome and the Clink. Nice to see how the other half lives. I am a Seattle native, but spent 8 years in the midwest and really appreciated how great the people in general were in that region of the country. Big generalization I know, but by and large I think it is true. Too bad it is flat as a pancake there (I guess there are a few hills here and there). Something tells me this might not be the last time Green Bay and Seattle meet this year. Odds are it will be in Lambeau too. If so, I hope it isn`t 90 below zero....

pk1

pk1
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 9:18 am 
I'm from WI and have sat in a snowbank for a game there. To my people, this is a shrine. to any tourist or football fan; there is a lot of history and cool football memorabilia. I had seasons tickets for the hawks for a couple years but it does not compare to the Lambeau experience.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 9:45 am 
Cool story. up.gif After my last Seahawk game, I came home with a headache, throatache, and a general malaise. Not sure I could do that ten times a year.