Jake Neiffer
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 5:53 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 8:54 am 
The first link cites secondary sources (Wikipedia, NBC) for the numbers, but CDC's presentation is more nuanced:
Quote:
CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year.
I don't have the time nor the inclination to form an informed opinion re whether the article is a cheap shot, but my guard is up whenever I read anything that looks anti-vaxxer. No doubt that last season's flu shot did not cover most of the flu virus strains to which Americans were exposed. It's always an educated guess. Some years the virus is very effective, other years not so much. I'll likely get a flu shot. I did not get one last year because the CDC advised early that its vaccine missed the mark. (IME, the CDC is a straight shooting organization.) But, IME, when I get a flu shot I have never gotten the flu, and when I don't get one I seem to get the flu. My choice has nothing to do with flu death statistics. YMMV

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 9:12 am 
BigSteve wrote:
But, IME, when I get a flu shot I have never gotten the flu, and when I don't get one I seem to get the flu. YMMV
The only time I have gotten the flu in the last 20 years was from a guy who just got off the airplane from South East Africa, last July. And it was a doozy of a flu - 103.5 temp. Not to mention the Ebola panic we were in the middle of at the time. The doctor took several steps back away from me and casually grabbed a face mask when I told her about my exposure. The guy infected the whole band. That's what I get for having a music studio and inviting travelling musicians in for a jam...there is now a mandatory 3 week quarantine before you can jam at my place. Both my wife and I work in education and are surrounded by disease vectors daily - must build the immunity up as neither of us get sick very often - I've got 2.5 months of sick time stored up. We have never had a flu shot. When I was in my 20's and 30's I would get the flu at least once a season. Now that I am more vintage I don't get it anymore - well except when someone brings a fresh one in on a plane and out of season.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 am 
Interesting. Maybe someone can chime in about whether exposure to flu strains A, B and C provides immunity to new flu strains X, Y and Z. I now get a flu shot because my wife is a HC professional who is frequently exposed to sick people. If I lived in a rural setting alone I would not get a shot. When I worked in downtown Seattle -- exposed to others in elevators and door knobs -- I got a nasty cold every year. I haven't caught a cold since I moved my practice to a home office.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostTue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 am 
The reason I think the first article is interesting is because it's provided on the American Society of Registered Nurses website- an organization where you would not expect to see info contrary to CDC data. True that is CDC data is (now) more nuanced, but it still appears to be a gross overestimation. I’m guessing the 36K nubmer came from back in 2005 when the original BMJ article was published. Certainly there are reasons to get the flu shot other than death stats- but it seems public policies are being implemented based on those very stats.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 12:06 pm 
I think last year was one of the worst ever for them missing the mark. I am hoping this year they do a bit better. If you "don't ever get the flu", don't get a shot. That is really pretty simple. For people like me that gets everything that circulates around, I usually get one. Remember, people are different. Your solution may not apply to everyone.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 12:41 pm 
In my experience most people that think they get the flu don't really have the flu. People think anything with a few days of congestion and such is the flu. That ain't the flu. If you really have the flu you are going to miss more than a day or two of work. I think the only time I really had the flu was in high school. I actually missed an entire week of school due to it. I've had nagging coughs and other such things, but nothing that put me down for an entire week like that. Of course they didn't have flu shots back in the mid 70's. I've gotten flu shots about 75% of the time. I got one last year, didn't get one the year before etc. It hasn't caused me to get any sicker for sure so probably worth it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 1:26 pm 
I get the shot every year. They have a nurse come to my workplace and stick everyone in the arm. I think last year they gave everyone a shiny new $10 to encourage us. In the past I'd hand over my copay at the pharmacy in the grocery store. The last time I had the flu, years ago, I felt like death.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 2:02 pm 
This is a pretty good link for distinguishing between colds and the flu: Link

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 3:33 pm 
I'm a pharmacist who works in a clinic and what I tell patients who say they never get the flu, and therefore don't need a flu shot is this: You're being selfish by thinking only of yourself. If you get the flu and are shedding virus, even if your symptoms aren't too bad, you could potentially give it to someone, young or old, who has an immune system that isn't working well. This could be your sister's newborn child, your grandmother, your uncle with cancer, etc. And yes, it could potentially kill them. Quit thinking only of yourself - you don't live in isolation.

The only easy day was yesterday...
pipedream

pipedream
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 3:45 pm 
graywolf wrote:
you don't live in isolation
Unless you're TAH lol.gif

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 5:19 pm 
graywolf- You're projecting motivations and sidestepping the issue. The issue is a credible source is reporting the CDC is providing misleading data by many orders of magnitude. The efficacy of the vaccine in the vunerable populations you mention is disputed. And while rare, the vaccine has been associated with serious harms such as narcolepsy and febrile convulsions. I don't believe questioning (potentially) false data is selfish.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 6:06 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
graywolf- You're projecting motivations and sidestepping the issue. The issue is a credible source is reporting the CDC is providing misleading data by many orders of magnitude. The efficacy of the vaccine in the vunerable populations you mention is disputed. And while rare, the vaccine has been associated with serious harms such as narcolepsy and febrile convulsions. I don't believe questioning (potentially) false data is selfish.
You misread my post. I said you should get the shot to protect those with less of an immune response. It is well known that the very young and the elderly do not have a good response - thus the high dose vaccine for the elderly. Serious harms come with all medications, but most of the time the benefit outweighs the risk. Read my post again and try to not project your motivations into it.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 6:09 pm 
I'm 57 and have gotten mine every year since I was 18. I can only recall getting sick and being told by the doc that I had the flu one time. I've read that they got the correct strain this year.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 6:40 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
CDC's flu numbers completely inaccurate? [title of OP's hyperlink]
The more I look into this, the more I'm confused by your posts. The article you cited states:
Quote:
According to the National Vital Statistics System in the U.S., for example, annual flu deaths in 2010 amounted to just 500 per year
That appears in the article as some sort of rebuttal to the CDC numbers, but a simple Google search reveals that the National Vital Statistics System is part of the CDC, thus the CDC reported 500 flu-related deaths in 2010. Then you subsequently post this:
Jake Neiffer wrote:
The issue is a credible source is [sic] reporting the CDC is providing misleading data by many orders of magnitude.
The 500 flu-related deaths reported by the CDC/NVSS for 2010 is an order of magnitude higher than what? The alleged 4,000-8,000 number in the article is attributed to NBC. In my business, that's called double hearsay. IMV, the cited journal had an obligation to research the source of the alleged numbers, not merely rely on an NBC news report. ETA: I did some additional research: AFAICT, for 2013, CDC estimated 3,697 influenza-related deaths. See http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm. The actual data is contained in rather large zip file that can be accessed via that link. I do not have the proper program to open it. If we accept the CDC "fast fact" number of 3,697, the article cited by OP assigns a number (via NBC) that is up to 2X+ the actual CDC number. Also note that the article opens with a huge worldwide number, citing Wikipedia as its source. It also cites a number from a Canadian governmental agency. Based on my research so far, I'm inclined to conclude that the article cited by OP is an example of sloppy journalism and the title of OP's hyperlink is dubious, at best. Can you see why I'm confused? Help us out here.