Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Flu Shot season
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 pm 
I'm getting mine next week. Best

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lono

Lono
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 9:41 pm 
I go my shot a couple weeks ago during a routine exam, first in probably 8 years. I have been selfish and have neglected the flu vaccine for years, not because I'm impervious to the flu but have felt the odds are against my contracting it. I had flu of some sort last year, and it was bad enough. I come into contact with a lot of mixed populations including caretaking of my mom and some kid exposure, and also in shelters with random people in them. I never had any doubt that I should be vaccinated against Hep A and B so why not the flu? The reports of the supposed negative effects I've seen have been fairly insipid so I don't think there's any real risk there. If the flu came on full bore, folks wouldn't be so shy as I have been, and would be crestfallen to infect their spouses or kids or family and friends with something that could be so preventable. I had grandparents who could recall 1918 and the sheer terror that reigned back then - boys saved from the front lines of WWI, but dying behind the lines in camps and hospitals on the way home. The flu gets immeasurably worse the more people that you know that have it - and for the most part, we have all avoided epidemics for years and years so our fear about the flu isn't built up as it should be.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 9:46 pm 
In the mid 70's there was a swine flu epidemic and everyone was told to get vaccinated, so I did. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the vaccine that year and indeed, I got the swine flu. I've never been so sick in my life, down for about 2 weeks. Because of that, I swore I'd never get another flu shot ever again. And for years I've never gotten the flu or the shot. But I have come to agree with graywolf completely. I'm NOT concerned about myself, but I work with people all day that I really don't want to inadvertently infect. Plus, my Mom is very senior and a flu would be devastating for her. So please consider it for others even if you're not worried about yourself.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am 
I used to never get a flu shot, until I got the flu two years running. Since then, I've always got the flu shot - got this year's shot a month ago. This way, if I get the flu I can still tell myself that I tried my best to prevent it...

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:32 am 
the Zachster wrote:
I'm NOT concerned about myself, but I work with people all day that I really don't want to inadvertently infect. Plus, my Mom is very senior and a flu would be devastating for her. So please consider it for others even if you're not worried about yourself.
Same here, my mom is recovering from surgery, chemo and radiation. No way do I want to give the flu to her. I never got the flu (fever) but I got colds that were so terrible I was sick for 2 months at a time. I've become OC about hand washing and keyboard/phone/door handle washing at work when others are sick from their kid's school bugs. It's been working. That or I really did get the flu without a fever and the flu shots have been working.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:39 am 
BigSteve- The 4K to 8K is Canadian numbers, not US. The 36,000 number has been changed to a range of 3K to 49K, which jives with the first link you posted and is explained in this NPR article. All of these #'s are model generated, the accuracy of which is the Nursing Journal article takes issue with.
Quote:
For as long as I can remember now, we've been saying 36,000 people die each year from the flu. When we've asked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for updated figures, they told us 36K was the best they had.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2010/08/26/129456941/annual-flu-death-average-fluctuates-depending-on-how-you-slice-it

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 am 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
The 36,000 number has been changed to a range of 3K to 49K
That 36,000 number is hearsay. Changed by whom? Link? Also from the NPR article:
Quote:
Deaths peak when the H3N2 strain of influenza A dominates. When it's H1N1 or influenza B, the toll is quite a bit lower.
So, was the alleged 36,000 number issued when the H3N2 strain of influenza A dominated and a lower number issued when another strain dominated? Or did the 36,000 number "change?" So far, I see more support for the former. ETA: Been doing more research on this, still have the view that the original article you linked is sloppy journalism (and thus not a "credible source") and that your title of the hyperlink to the article is ?????

Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 11:46 am 
the Zachster wrote:
I'm NOT concerned about myself, but I work with people all day that I really don't want to inadvertently infect. Plus, my Mom is very senior and a flu would be devastating for her. So please consider it for others even if you're not worried about yourself.
up.gif

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
That 36,000 number is hearsay. Changed by whom? Link?
Not hearsay. Here's an archived page since the NPR link didn't convince you. https://web.archive.org/web/20090318235243/http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 1:02 pm 
CDC archived page wrote:
The study used statistical modeling to estimate that during 9 influenza seasons from 1990-91 through 1998-99, an annual average of 36,000 flu-related deaths occurred among people whose underlying cause of death on their death certificate was listed as a respiratory or circulatory disease.
Seems like a jump in logic to marry all of that to the flu.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 1:02 pm 
Well, the NPR article was hearsay, but thanks for posting the archived page. Note that the 36,000 number is an average of 9 years ending 1998-99, i.e., quite old data. It appears that per the CDC the trend is that when H1N1 or influenza B are dominant, the CDC fatality numbers are much (90%?) lower but when H3N2 strain of influenza A is dominant the CDC fatality numbers are up to 10 times greater. AFAICT, the CDC think this ostensibly wild disparity is based on good science. So, it's appearing to me that the problem here is that some reporters are reaching back and grabbing old numbers and/or using numbers from H3N2/influenza A dominant years and ignoring 90% lower fatality numbers in years when H1N1 or influenza B are dominant. The former makes better, albeit less accurate, news, and provides a cherry-picking opportunity for anti-innoculists. So, maybe this "order of magnitude" you claim is a matter of whether H3N2/influenza A is dominant vs. H1N1 or influenza B. The article you linked in your OP seems make things even more muddy. Again, note that the archive pages includes the disclaimer, "CDC does not know exactly how many people die from flu each year."

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 1:09 pm 
FTR, I am not suggesting that we should ignore the issue re whether flu shots are pushed too on too many people. It's a valid question, but IMV it's not advanced by sloppy journalism. Also, to those talking about herd immunity, do enough people get flu shots to result in any meaningful widespread herd immunity effect? (I acknowledge that small scale herd immunity might be at work where, say, 98% of residents in a retirement home receive flu shots.)

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 1:15 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
Seems like a jump in logic to marry all of that to the flu.
I'm not reading it that way. It says that CDC uses the R&C deaths in its modeling but I don't see where it says that all R&C deaths are deemed flu-related.
Quote:
The study used statistical modeling to estimate that during 9 influenza seasons from 1990-91 through 1998-99, an annual average of 36,000 flu-related deaths occurred among people whose underlying cause of death on their death certificate was listed as a respiratory or circulatory disease.
Note the use of the term "among," which suggests that only a portion of R&C deaths were attributed to influenza.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 4:22 pm 
Steve- good thoughts, I’ll respond later. But for those of you suggesting everyone get flu shot to protect others, I applaud your intentions but I’m afraid it’s not so simple. The CDC has only been recommending universal flu coverage since 2010. In fact, up until 2000, they only recommended it to those 65 and over. (That year the age was lowered to 50). They have continually expanded the recommended age range for flu vaccination during those “confusing” 36K death years. Sure appears to be at least some hype and marketing. The point there is no data on someone who’s received the flu shot annually (starting from in utero) for 40 consecutive years. We’re likely starting to get some good data on acute reactions, but how do we know it doesn’t make some people become unhealthier in the long run? If you think it’s completely benign, well I guess you have more faith than me. I don't believe a lot of grandparents would advocate their grandchildren getting a flu shot for 60 straight years. I have no proof for this obviously. But I would bet for the overall optimization of public health, a quite small % of the population receiving the flu shot would be ideal. We’ll probably know in 50 years.

cartman

cartman
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 7:00 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
how do we know it doesn’t make some people become unhealthier in the long run?
How would this vaccine make anyone more unhealthy, regardless of how often they received it? The only way to become sick from the vaccine made from a killed virus or a live attenuated virus is by an allergic reaction to the adjuvant--the carrier molecule for the immunological component of the vaccine (usually albumin, an egg-based substance). This is why they ask you if you are allergic to eggs on the form before inoculation. Your statement comes across as completely unsubstantiated nonsense, based on fear-based ignorance of how vaccines work. Irresponsible speculation, to say the least.