Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fall pilgrimage to Alta Mountain (via Rachel Lake) 9/27/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Oct 01, 2015 9:15 pm 
Somehow I never get tired of this one, especially in the fall. Even though the leaves are already falling, past peak is still awfully pretty! The trailhead was filling up by the time we arrived around 9AM.
The first few miles fly by pretty quickly (at least on the way in!).
We used to have to climb over this monster...
Here's the normally gorgeous waterfall (can't even see the trickle running down the rock frown.gif )
Here's what it's supposed to look like...
After the annoying rocky rooty section we arrived at Rachel Lake, looking lovely as ever.
It was such a beautiful day, I could totally have just lounged around the lakeshore all day. But we had higher goals and continued up the ridge above the lake.
Once at the ridge, you can go left if you want to visit Rampart Lakes, or go right toward Lila Lake if you want to ascend Alta. There is no sign at this intersection but there is a marker of sorts. Better than nothing but you definitely need to look for it.
Before you hit the intersection for Alta (which is fairly obscure...a faint path off to the left) the views start to open up.
And then the ridge walk really begins.
It's a good thing it's so beautiful because every time you think you're approaching the summit...you're not! There are so many false summits on this ridge...actually I don't really know exactly how many. Will have to count next time... There's one...
and another...
And another...
And another...
And another...
You get the point. Anyhow, this one WAS the final bump...
We managed a summit portrait before Cedar decided to crash for awhile.
The views from here are fantastic in all directions. Even saw several paragliders enjoying the day (barely a breeze, though).
After a very leisurely lunch on the summit, we headed back down around 3:00. For some reason over the years ( I think it was a Mountaineers thing) we had gotten into the habit of sticking to a 2:00 turn around time. But for the last couple years we have decided to simply enjoy the later afternoon hours in the mountains. It's a sweet time.
This was a fabulous fall weekend for the 3 of us. cool.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am 
WOW! I must get over across the pond when the weather calls for a bluebird day or days! What are your stats? Cedar is so cool...I'm not even a dog lover but he looks and acts like he's king of the mountains! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 7:20 am 
The route from Lila Lake up and over the summit of Alta shows evidence of blasting, suggesting a CCC route. If memory serves, the route disappears at a saddle north of Alta and then reappears on the slope north of there, eventually connecting to the PCT. Anyone know the history of this route? I would imagine there is steep snow blocking the route north of Alta well into August in a normal year, so I can see why it was abandoned.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 8:43 am 
Looks like a great day up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:06 am 
One of my favorites in the area. up.gif I think I've done it in all seasons, but fall is the prettiest.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:08 am 
Great pics! up.gif We are very fortunate to have quick access to such a cool place. Did you see any swifts (Vaux's or Black)?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:50 am 
Nice! I like the leaves pics. This report flashes me back to meeting Zach, ... Oh and you guys too 😊, back when Zach was old and Sampson was young. It's well past time to get back up there. Maybe with some ashes to spread bawl.gif

ClimbtheMountains

ClimbtheMountains
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 am 
Nice. I would imagine fall would be a great time to be up there. I did Lila a couple summers ago and really regret doing it because the mosquitoes were absolutely terrible. Nice pics. You may have inspired me to give it another go this fall.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 4:39 pm 
Thanks for posting these pics as all Cassie and I saw up there was white.....nice to see what we missed.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Distel32

Distel32
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 5:51 pm 
Nice pix up.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Oct 02, 2015 6:43 pm 
ClimbtheMountains wrote:
did Lila a couple summers ago and really regret doing it because the mosquitoes were absolutely terrible.
One of the really good reasons that Fall is THE season! Exquisite pictures. Thanks!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 8:16 am 
Sculpin wrote:
The route from Lila Lake up and over the summit of Alta shows evidence of blasting, suggesting a CCC route. If memory serves, the route disappears at a saddle north of Alta and then reappears on the slope north of there, eventually connecting to the PCT. Anyone know the history of this route? I would imagine there is steep snow blocking the route north of Alta well into August in a normal year, so I can see why it was abandoned.
The old trail went over East Alta. See my post and map in this thread: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8012082