Forum Index > Trip Reports > Valhalla Peak (the peak above 5050 Pass) - Olympics 10/4/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostSun Oct 04, 2015 5:39 pm 
From the Tunnel Creek Trailhead. This is the peak above 5050 Pass - which we have been told is called Valhalla Peak (correct us if we are wrong). Love the "in your face" views of Mount Constance. Trail in great shape. Approx 9 miles roundtrip Gain: 3000 feet Top elevation: 5350

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Oct 04, 2015 7:26 pm 
yep love that 'in your face' view of mt. constance! i love tunnel creek for this reason mostly! i actually had a close encounter with it yesterday via constance pass. may post a TR on my home lake trip! here's a story about Valhalla Peak as told to a friend: A man had a yacht named Valhalla and when he sold his beloved boat he kept the wooden nameplate that had graced the stern of his boat. He put the nameplate on top of the unnamed peak, because he loved that peak almost as much as he had loved his yacht. Over the years either sign hating hikers or the Forest Service removed the sign, but the name Valhalla stuck.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostSun Oct 04, 2015 7:56 pm 
Great story Bobbi - thanks for sharing with us! Would love to see your trip report for Constance Pass/Home Lake!! up.gif

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am 
bobbi wrote:
A man had a yacht named Valhalla and when he sold his beloved boat he kept the wooden nameplate that had graced the stern of his boat. He put the nameplate on top of the unnamed peak, because he loved that peak almost as much as he had loved his yacht. Over the years either sign hating hikers or the Forest Service removed the sign, but the name Valhalla stuck.
I remember seeing that sign one time, I'm guessing sometime around 1995? It was big, about 4 feet across, grey enamel paint, and inch-thick block letters painted burgundy. Someone had sawed a level surface into a silverwood snag and bolted it on pretty high up. It was in March when I saw it, standing above cornices and meringues, so it was kind of surreal. I must say that I'm glad it was removed. I've also found a bench up there once built out of dimensional lumber. The access from the Tunnel Creek side is so easy it seems to tempt people to add their "personal touches" to what is already a very nice viewpoint.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 9:39 am 
Sorry, didn't mean to be grumpy... bobbi - Thank you for the story, it's interesting to have an explanation of an old mystery. (I may not have thought that the sign was appropriate in the location, but since the name got some traction I suppose the old vessel achieved a measure of immortality.) seekapeak - I've said it before, I appreciate all of your trip reports. Until I can get back out there, your photos let me revisit some of my favorite places, and daydream about some new ones. Thank you!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning