You need one of these.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 26, 2015 7:44 pm 
iron wrote:
4 years! eek. supposed to be every year....
Supposed to, but apparently not needed for me. He did fix a little hairline crack in the caulking that had just started leaking when it rained. I burn a lot of well seasoned alder and maple along with lesser quantities of Doug-fir or whatever I can find. The stove sales guy said "This stove burns so clean your chimney won't need to be cleaned." Then followed up with, "I shouldn't have said that." Apparently it does burn clean though.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Oct 27, 2015 9:11 am 
My wood heater is in the kitchen so I can easily have the dutch oven simmering or the tea kettle on. Boots, mitts and coats all dry and ready to put on in the morning... smile.gif I would never trade that for a fireplace- that being said- I would love a cute little Scandinavian wood stove in the living room, just not enough to put in that third chimney and have to cart in wood all the way through the house. In theory the heat from upstairs could be distributed into the basement by using the fan only setting on the electric funace but in reality it is faster to just turn on the electric furnace for 20 min. on a really cold morning. I rarely use the wood furnace in the basement as it doesn't burn as cleanly as the Fisher in the kitchen. I think that furnace fan uses a fair chunk of electricity when it is on so the less it is used the better. I am on one of those Powersmart reduction challenges this year and so far have my hydro bill down by 40%!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
melc

melc
PostTue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 pm 
I'm confused. You say not an insert but these look like fireplace inserts. According to the EPA fireplaces are not for primary home heating. But fireplace inserts are more appropriate for heating. http://www2.epa.gov/burnwise/choosing-right-fireplace-or-fireplace-retrofit-device Wood smoke is bad for you lungs. You use your lungs for hiking fast and far! http://www.pscleanair.org/airquality/airqualitybasics/health/Pages/default.aspx If you choose to burn wood please follow best practices.

iron

iron
PostTue Nov 03, 2015 11:39 pm 
the fireplaces referenced in that article are old school ones --- far different than http://www.heatnglo.com/products/north-star-wood-fireplace.aspx which i am certain will heat the entirety of our house on 6 pieces of wood.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 1:57 pm 
melc wrote:
If you choose to burn wood please follow best practices.
Speaking of best practices for burning wood, I sure wish our next door neighbor would keep their wood under better cover. Their wood clearly has a much higher moisture content than the wood we burn, and they use their wood stove a LOT more often. A touch of wood smoke smell from well-seasoned wood that's burning efficiently can be kind of nice, but smoke from wet wood is a whole other deal. One simple tip (as noted in the linked page) is to see if, once your fire is past the starting stage, you have a visible smoke plume coming out of your chimney, or if you only have heat waves (the latter being the right answer!).

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 3:40 pm 
I have a Kuma Classic and I love it. I bought it to heat one room, and it heats the entire home. I currently have 15 cords stored at the house. I LOVE this stove and the heat it produces. https://www.kumastoves.com/Store/ProductDetails/wood-classic

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
iron

iron
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 3:41 pm 
PBJ: cool stove. only 2.3 cu ft, and it does the trick for the whole place. awesome. where do you get your wood supply?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:12 pm 
EyeRun, I love the stove. Its made really well. My home is 1400 sqft and its set up for a 2500 sqft home.. The room its in hits 90 degrees while the house sits at 74 degrees. Its really wonderful. Here are some pics. I get my wood locally. I always look for wood for sale. I just bought two more cords from a local guy. I guess that means Ive got 17 cords at the ready. The pic with the old (still there) wood shed has THREE cords of Tamarac on the ground in front of it. Ya gotta love burning Tamarac. I wont cut any on my land, but this stuff was in one of the fires and the bark burned off but the wood is fine. The new shed is now full. I have wood under cover near the room with the stove in it as well.
One wood shed and new wood
One wood shed and new wood
New wood shed
New wood shed
Kuma stove
Kuma stove
Wood outside the stove room
Wood outside the stove room

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
iron

iron
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:16 pm 
looks pretty nice. i suppose where you live, you can stack wood that closely and it'll dry out. i suspect if you did that on the best side, i mean west side, you'd get some funky wood.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:24 pm 
iron wrote:
looks pretty nice. i suppose where you live, you can stack wood that closely and it'll dry out. i suspect if you did that on the best side, i mean west side, you'd get some funky wood.
E-hem. There is NOTHING funky about living on the East side Our wood works when you need it! hockeygrin.gif Being DRY rules, except when youre on fire of course. doh.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:30 pm 
Of course while we have better dryer summers than you, we also have better winters than you. E-hem. hockeygrin.gif Last year notwithstanding, I usually have to plow my driveway 2-3 times a day in the winter.... And, I love it. moon.gif

iron

iron
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:32 pm 
i think you should shovel that thing. and then host a nwhikers winter retreat party.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:54 pm 
iron wrote:
i think you should shovel that thing. and then host a nwhikers winter retreat party.
Ya know, that's not a bad idea. Let me see how the snow works this winter. It would be nice to get people together. Heck, my nephew comes over and skis on my property.
Hunter skiing.
Hunter skiing.

iron

iron
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 4:57 pm 
sign me up smile.gif