Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > You should exercise more.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 am 
For the paper, researchers reviewed 12 studies involving 370,460 men and women with varying levels of physical activity. Over a mean follow-up time of 15 years, this group experienced 20,203 heart failure events. Each of the participants self-reported their daily activities, allowing the team to estimate the amount of exercise they were doing. They found that those following the 30-minutes-a-day guidelines issued by the American Heart Association had “modest reductions” in heart failure risk compared to those who did not work out at all. But those who exercised twice and four times as much had “a substantial risk reduction" of 20 percent and 35 percent, respectively. The findings challenge the notion of a 30-minutes-a-day magic number for exercise. Instead, research found that physical activity and heart failure may be what they called "dose dependent," meaning that higher levels of physical activity appeared to be linked to a lower risk of heart failure. That association appeared to hold across age groups, gender and race. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/10/06/new-study-for-optimal-heart-health-americans-should-double-or-even-quadruple-the-amount-of-exercising-theyre-doing/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 8:20 am 
They've been telling us this for decades or at least is is common sense. I remember the 30 minutes a day thing. While for sure 30 minutes is better than nothing, I never thought in my own mind it was the end all. The most simple/basic way to lose weight. Exercise more/eat less (I should write a book)... No need for $$$$$$ a month 30/10 programs and such...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 8:33 am 
Well, actually, my doc told me to exercise less for awhile. I tend to overdo it. biggrin.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 9:32 am 
60 minutes 6 days a week is better than 360 minutes once a week.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 am 
Half an hour a day adds up to 3.5 hours per week. We had a summer fitness challenge at work, the goal was to do 3.5 hours per week of exercise, people were paid for it. (Lowers our insurance premiums.) Half the company refused to participate. It's amazing how little most people exercise.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 am 
But wait, you're a runner. You needn't worry about the harms of sedentary living because you're active, right? Well, not so fast. A growing body of research shows that people who spend many hours of the day glued to a seat die at an earlier age than those who sit less—even if those sitters exercise. "Up until very recently, if you exercised for 60 minutes or more a day, you were considered physically active, case closed," says Travis Saunders, a Ph.D. student and certified exercise physiologist at the Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research Group at Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario. "Now a consistent body of emerging research suggests it is entirely possible to meet current physical activity guidelines while still being incredibly sedentary, and that sitting increases your risk of death and disease, even if you are getting plenty of physical activity. It's a bit like smoking. Smoking is bad for you even if you get lots of exercise. So is sitting too much." ... "Your body is designed to move," Hamilton says. "Sitting for an extended period of time causes your body to shut down at the metabolic level." When your muscles, especially certain leg muscles, are immobile, your circulation slows. So you use less of your blood sugar and you burn less fat, which increases your risk of heart disease and diabetes. http://www.runnersworld.com/health/sitting-is-the-new-smoking-even-for-runners I used to think it was a bug when my Garmin would yell at me to get up and move while I drove home from a hike or 50 mile bike ride.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 10:41 am 
It doesn't take a study to figure out that sitting too much is bad for you. I do about half of my (now part time) work in a standing position.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 10:45 am 
Making public health recommendations from a single study is such a bad idea. It wasn't more than two months ago that the NY Times reported on research that came out showing that running too much wasn't good for you and that walking produced similar benefits. I like to run, but one study isn't going to change what I do.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 11:30 am 
In fairness to Cyclopath it was a review of 12 studies, but you make a good point JVesquire. +1 to BigSteve's comment, I assembled one of these a couple years back and still use it: http://iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 12:46 pm 
I thought this would be obvious enough to go without saying but maybe it needs to be pointed out. This thread isn't Forrest calling any of you lazy. It's me calling your attention to some interesting and important research. It describes our population (of 300+ million) as a whole but may or may not apply to anyone as an individual.
BigSteve wrote:
It doesn't take a study to figure out that sitting too much is bad for you.
Good because that's not what any of these studies say. One of them cautions against the idea that "I exercise a lot so I can ignore all of this." I fall into the trap of thinking that way sometimes and I bet I'm not alone. This was a useful reminder to me and I hope it's helpful to others too, especially as we head into the rainy season.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 12:58 pm 
Okay, I could have said "It doesn't take a study to figure out that sitting too much isn't good for you even if you exercise an average of 1 to 2 hours a day."

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 1:18 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Is it? Why? I'm asking because this is the way that I exercise--one day a week I exercise all day long (hiking.) The rest of the week I get very little exercise.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 1:32 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Okay, I could have said "It doesn't take a study to figure out that sitting too much isn't good for you even if you exercise an average of 1 to 2 hours a day."
I'd encourage you to read the articles when you have time instead of just assuming what must be in them. Especially if you're going to take part in a discussion about them.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 1:33 pm 
GrnXnham wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Is it? Why? I'm asking because this is the way that I exercise--one day a week I exercise all day long (hiking.) The rest of the week I get very little exercise.
Because you get about the same benefit but you spread the stress out evenly across the week ... which gives your body plenty of time to repair itself before you stress it more. You don't actually get stronger and healthier while you exercise, it happens when you rest after exercising.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 1:55 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'd encourage you to read the articles when you have time instead of just assuming what must be in them.
I did. I read the WP article before posting and the RW article a couple years ago.