Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Larches, what's the big attraction?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 4:31 pm 
I find the bright (almost lime) green color of larches in early summer to be equally as beautiful and vibrant as the colors of fall.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 5:28 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
I find the bright (almost lime) green color of larches in early summer to be equally as beautiful and vibrant as the colors of fall.
ditto.gif Golden larches are pretty trees year-round. Not only is their foliage beautiful, they also grow in really interesting contorted shapes. As for their fall foliage, the way it lights up the landscape is just extraordinary!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 5:29 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
I do enjoy this phase of the larch's cycle. One of my favorite tree foliage experiences here in the PNW is when the bigleaf maples are just starting to bud out - going through a forest of big fluorescent maples at that point, especially if they're backlit, is awesome to me. It's one of the things that helps cheer me up as "powder season" is coming to an end. Are there good larch color years and so-so larch color years (which is separate from the question of whether the needles fall off faster or slower due to weather, which is about duration not color quality)? Or is the yellow pretty much the same each year, assuming you hit it at the yearly high point? The New England foliage varies quite a bit from year-to-year, and in some years it's nice but not wildly amazing; whereas in others there were times when we'd just about screech the car to a halt around every third corner due to the sheer stunningness of the display. It's of course those peak years that I'm nostalgic for. I've noticed somewhat the same effect with the low huckleberry and vine maples here, though IMO they never quite reach the same peaks as the mixed-species hillsides back east.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 5:31 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
You didn't see Eastern Tamarack in NE?
I don't recall these - probably saw them, but not often enough to register a significant memory.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 pm 
They were there

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 6:53 pm 
Well, yeah, of course they were. But it's the edge of their range - are they very common there? Now that you've gotten me thinking about it, I have vague memories of seeing them maybe in boggy areas up north on the coast of Maine, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 7:45 pm 
I've seen some eastern tamaracks here in Pennsylvania, but I think those were planted and not natural. In any case, these didn't look anywhere near as impressive as the ones in Washington, because they were in the middle of a forest of hardwoods. As I said in my earlier post, location is key.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 8:00 pm 
joker wrote:
are they very common there? Now that you've gotten me thinking about it, I have vague memories of seeing them maybe in boggy areas up north on the coast of Maine
As I recall from my visits it's pretty common, often in mixed forests and, yup, there are some big stands in boggy areas. I once saw a big stand of Eastern Tamarack in Maine: That's when I first heard the term "deciduous conifer."

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 pm 
I don't chase larches, but I have to say that one of my favorite Washington hiking photos ever was one I saw on this site from a fall Enchantments hike. And the yellow needles weren't even on the trees.
Larch Needle Blanket, by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/tgcallahan/]tomgcallahan[/url]
Larch Needle Blanket, by tomgcallahan

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 10:05 pm 
I'm a local, used to the berry bushes, ashes, and maples turning color. Saw it every year. Then *it* happened. I was caught in a spell, basking in the golden enchantment... the light was alive, and glowing, and shining on me. Reminded me somewhat of the lyric, somewhat modified, of " to see the face of God." (I'm not religious, btw, but it seemed a perfect description.) Seriously...the trees were above me, the sun warm and diffuse, scattering its glowing beams about me: I was awash in in the brilliance of liquid gold... well, ahem, it was magical and I'd earned it. Dancing on sunbeams...yeah...waxing lyrical here, I know.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:56 am 
Larches in fall are a short-lived phenomena, a visual treat that heralds the changing of the seasons. The golden yellow needles capture the light in extroardinary ways.
Even when it's cloudy they light up the terrain
Transforming the merely interesting into the uniquely beautiful
And when the skies are blue they impart a dose of color that's rare and fleeting
lighting up the landscape like hundreds of yellow candles (Do you recognize yourself in this one CJ?)
Even after the golden needles are gone their stark and interesting forms are an expression of nature's artistry
Patterning the landscape with stark beauty
Until summer returns and a new crop of silky soft green needles bursts forth to soak up the light of the long days
Or collect drops of foggy dew
DSC_6731
DSC_6731
But perhaps best of all, they give us extra motivation to get out and enjoy the beauty of the mountains in a season when the crowds are less, the days shorter, and the temperatures colder
All hail Larix Lyalli! One of the most unique and beautiful of nature's creations.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 7:01 am 
Some of the recent trip reports are spectacular with the contrast of yellow, red, and blue. I expressed tad overrated, but I think the posters were correct that lighting/time of day makes a big difference.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 am 
Very poetic, Bedivere.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 9:42 am 
BigSteve wrote:
You didn't see Eastern Tamarack in NE? That species is very similar to Western Larch, so similar that I can't tell them apart. Lyall's Larch is quite different. +1 to your comment that some Lyall's look like they came out of a Dr. Seuss book.
Never heard of 'em. I asked my mom if maybe we went to see them as kids and I don't remember, she said "what's that?" Looks like they cover about half of Connecticut, not the part where I lived, but we spent a lot of time in VT, NH, MA, and ME which all look pretty well covered.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 10:06 am 
You may not have noticed Eastern Tamaracks because they are often mixed with other trees, both coniferous (e.g., Black Spruce) and deciduous (aspen), but there are also plenty of pure stands of them in NE. Here is a NYT article from 1989 re fall tamarack viewing in New England: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/20/travel/after-the-maples-the-golden-tamarack.html?pagewanted=all