Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Larches, what's the big attraction?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 11:01 am 
I get where you're coming from, Chief. It's like- mountains- What's the big deal there? They're just, like, big zits on the regular flat terrain where normal people live. Why interrupt our important, productive workaday lives with a bunch of stoopid bumps on the map? They're a pointless and irritating waste of time. You could watch a dozen hilarious reality TV shows in the time it takes you to drive out there. Better we stay in our chairs with our eyes glued to glowing screens than overexcite ourselves with weird, ephemeral outbursts of natural phenomena. But forget about the purple thunder cabbage- that stuff is passé. The real hipsters are dabbing thick clouds of pure viscous amber colored butane hash oil {processed through turbo-molecular vacuum pumps) vaporized off red hot titanium spikes. Be careful not to blow your house off of its foundation though, or you'll have to watch TV down at the shelter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:07 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I don't chase larches, but I have to say that one of my favorite Washington hiking photos ever was one I saw on this site from a fall Enchantments hike. And the yellow needles weren't even on the trees.
Larch Needle Blanket, by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/tgcallahan/]tomgcallahan[/url]
Larch Needle Blanket, by tomgcallahan
reminds me of my first fall of larches. nailed the weekend in october in the 'chants with my dad. i had no clue about anything at the time. the next weekend, decided to come back up with a roommate. it was windy that night and the larch needles peppered our tent like rain or a graupel. our "footprint" was slightly noticeable.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 2:22 pm 
Also the needles are soft like a kitten's fur.

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 3:09 pm 
I'm with ya Chief - it's like gold, just another rock that became a standard that everyone upholds without a second thought... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ignore the fools.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 5:46 pm 
We may have some Larch madness in the PNW -- but on the right coast Leaf Peeping is a major tourist industry.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 7:43 pm 
Stefan-K wrote:
I'm with ya Chief - it's like gold, just another rock that became a standard that everyone upholds without a second thought... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ignore the fools.
Finally, someone who "Gets It"! Seriously though, I enjoy reading the reasons behind the attraction, it is helping me to understand why....somewhat.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 11:44 pm 
I made the mistake of reading a recent trip report and nearly went blind from all the frickin' yellow! I mean really, there are other colors too!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 6:48 am 
Had a lot of western larch at our place in Deer Park. There is no adequate word to describe when they were lit up with the setting sun against a background of dark purple clouds and interspersed with green bull pines. Can't adequately explain it, but there is something about the striking contrast larch makes with its surroundings.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 6:59 am 
This is Tamarack ski area, Idaho and it's namesake tree patch. Foreground is Lake Cascade (drained for winter). My seasonal leased cabin was at the lower left edge of the tree patch and at this time of year I would become completely bored with the trees. Too much of a good thing. I think that's the definition of, jaded.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
gb

gb
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 7:56 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
This is Tamarack ski area, Idaho and it's namesake tree patch. Foreground is Lake Cascade (drained for winter). My seasonal leased cabin was at the lower left edge of the tree patch and at this time of year I would become completely bored with the trees. Too much of a good thing. I think that's the definition of, jaded.
Those look to me to be the woefully inadequate Western larch..... You need to read page 14 and 15 of this reference: http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/for274new/Labs/2013/Field%20Guide%20to%20Forest%20Plants%20of%20Northern%20Idaho.pdf And shame on you for trying to pass off Western larch as Lyall's larch. wave.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 7:58 am 
Western Larch makes excellent firewood. up.gif I find it to be pretty, but it is annoying to work in this time of year because those needles work their way down your neck--kind of like hemlocks do all year.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 9:55 am 
CJ..so just what do you enjoy about the mountains? Anything special out there for you? We get it that you don't hold larches in high regard. You seem to agree that Gold is just another rock (despite all of its useful qualities). Is there anything in the mountains or woods that isn't "common" to you?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I made the mistake of reading a recent trip report and nearly went blind from all the frickin' yellow! I mean really, there are other colors too!
That's basically how I feel about green when I see a billion trip reports from the MFK/MLH. Here's some moss. Here's a fern. Here's a tree. Etc.

mike

mike
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 2:23 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Western Larch makes excellent firewood. up.gif
...and flooring.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Oct 12, 2015 6:03 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I don't chase larches, but I have to say that one of my favorite Washington hiking photos ever was one I saw on this site from a fall Enchantments hike. And the yellow needles weren't even on the trees.
Larch Needle Blanket, by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/tgcallahan/]tomgcallahan[/url]
Larch Needle Blanket, by tomgcallahan
That's a cool photo. I'm with the "gold is just another color" crew, but it's a fine color. Nothing wrong with it, and it provides some nice variety in a place where it's usually either green or the needles are down and it's mostly just the grey of the wood (I do like the forms of the bare larch trees that I see in the alpine, though! - visual appeal is of course about more than just color!!). Perhaps I just need to invest more time seeking out the larch at peak color in their most impressive spots. But when the weather is nice, I don't find myself sufficiently motivated to make the longer drive to their territory - there is plenty of nice stuff to see closer-to-home. OTOH, I tended to try to make a visit to NH in early October most years, sometimes nailing the peak color and sometimes slightly missing it. Best was when we would hit peak AND get a dusting of fresh snow - quite a pretty combo. Here's an example I found on the web (though it is even prettier with some snow on the colored foliage):
Hiking inside the forest, under the backlit foliage was even better than looking at the hillsides from a distance:
It was a multi-sensory experience, including the smell of the fallen leaves that were already starting to decay, the sound of leaves falling an crunching underfoot, and of course the sights, both large (flaming hillsides) and small (individual leaves with spectra of colors from green through orange veined through them). That experience drew me back again and again. And a few weeks after enjoying it in NH, the peak color would work its way down to my home in MA and we'd get to enjoy it again. I will admit that I've seen a few really pretty photos of yellow larch, and I've not spent much time seeing this phenomenon in person. Perhaps I'd be more "hooked" if I had. But as it now stands, sure, I'll go check it out if the stars align, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, just as I enjoy many other sights in the mountains. But I'll also admit to being a jaded "foliage snob." I have yet to suffer from larch madness. One less car at those jammed trailheads to make room for some of you!