Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skamokawa
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 am 
I went to Skamokawa to camp with friends and watch the boats. There isn't much of a trail system. There is a nature trail in the park, and the beach along the Columbia. We did "hike" to the store to get ice cream bars. I did paddle my kayak a bit.
Camp was on the river. I had a chance to get a used, small fiberglass trailer this spring so I sprang for it. It is small, but quite luxurious. The county upgraded this area by adding pads for the new leviathan sized motorhomes, and power and water. We wanted the riverside spots so took them, and it was a bit of overkill for our tiny trailers, and cot tent. This is The Used Dog inside our plastic airstream.
I launched off the Columbia beach. There is a boat launch on the creek near the highway, but I like beaches. It was windy so a bit of water got in the boat before I got the skirt on. Once in the river, I paddled a short ways to where the creek or is it a river? enters and went up it and into a slough. There are a couple other choices to be made, or one can brave the ship traffic and go on the big river. Had we been here a month or so ago, we could have watched yarding operations on this hill. That would have been entertaining since all of us had worked or were related to folks who had worked in the woods. Three of our group hiked up the clearcut and came back with great photos of the view. I did not go, the feets would have protested too much. One can see clear to Astoria from up there.
The big day for the big boats was on Sunday. They come in close to shore here. Some create mini tsunamis. They suck the water out, and then it rushes back in.
At least two of us had read a book about the Columbia River Pilots, which made watching boats more enjoyable. I had The Used Dog and the Slightly Used Dog along. SUD is young and needs to be run a lot. The beach was deserted enough to let her go. And yes, it is a leash area, but common sense prevails. The SUD is a mutt that thinks she is a Lab, and needed swimming. She's turning into quite a mini-retriever. The Used Dog is a good teacher.
Campfires were going, hotdogs roasted, tales told. The weather was windy and foggy in the mornings, and perfect later in the day. We watched the eclipse from here. I did not want to leave.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 8:40 am 
I remember we went down to see the Manhattan going up river in the sixties. She was so big the river surged up higher maybe two feet in front off her passage, then dropped after she was by. This was before and in addition to any bow or stern waves. The waves were of course substantial. She only made the one trip. The Manhattan was at the time an unusually large commercial ship; the transition from the largest ships being U.S. aircraft carriers to tankers was just occurring. She was by far the largest ship engaged in the India wheat trade. She had to time the tides just right, and only took on half a load. She topped off at Seattle. Later famous for crossing the Northwest passage.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostFri Oct 09, 2015 8:42 pm 
nice leave on top of that hill.... think it will all stay standing in the November winds? wink.gif didn't think I'd ever see a TR for Skamokawa - something new every day! up.gif (note to admin: please fix spell-checker so it knows how to spell "Skamokawa")

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 2:08 am 
Ooohh, I want a little trailer like that. How much does it weigh and what's that you're pulling it with?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 8:26 am 
The area between Longview and the Megler bridge (and indeed the whole of the Willapa Hills) is sadly lacking in parks and trails - Julia Butler Hansen NWR is about the only place with trails of any length. There are several nice waterfalls, some spectacular cliffs and rock formations, surprisingly decent shorelines along the Columbia, remote river valleys, and even a bit of nice second growth forest (though what is left is dwindling rapidly). It's unfortunate the proposed Lower Columbia National Scenic Area didn't go through, it would have been a good step in the right direction. The area sees a lot of tourists on their way to Long Beach, but there isn't much to encourage people to stop for any length of time along the way. A few more small parks would make a big difference.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 9:27 am 
Bedivere wrote:
Ooohh, I want a little trailer like that. How much does it weigh and what's that you're pulling it with?
I lucked out. Friends, who ended up getting another and were parked next to me, decided they were done trailer camping. They gave me first chance to buy. I did. It is a 2012 Casita Spirit Deluxe. We figure it weighs around 3000 pounds loaded and I pull it with a 6 cylinder Ford Ranger. They pulled it with a 6 cylinder Tacoma. I went down to N. CA to pick it up. When I got home there was an E-mail saying they saw it drive away, looked at each other, and knew they had messed up. They ordered another and picked it up in Texas in April. You have to either have them delivered or pick them up in Texas when buying new. There are no dealers. Used ones come up but usually are bought up right away and they hold their price. Casita makes a 13 foot, a 16 foot and a 17 foot models. They can come with or without bathrooms--deluxe means they have a bathroom. Mine is a 17 footer and it's hard to believe what is fit into it. The only thing I would like would be a built in heater, but that would mess with the extra foam topper on the bed, so I guess I'll have to use the Mr Buddy heater that was included in the deal, when not plugged in. I've hauled it over the pass, dry camped at pickerfests, and I love it. The bad thing is, people ask about it at gas stations--on the Skamokawa trip one guy actually followed me to the gas pump and pulled out a notepad to take notes. On my way home from buying it, a couple of folks wanted to buy it. They are cute trailers. http://casitatraveltrailers.com/ Ski, that "island" of trees is deceptive, according to the hikers of the hill. What you see is the ridgetop. They said it is a narrow ridge and drops off vertically on the other side. I expect trees will blow over, unless they are not done logging.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 11:40 am 
Thanks for the info. 17' @ 3000 lb is really light. I've looked at others that are around 12-14' at that weight. I have an old 4-cyl Toyota truck that probably wouldn't pull it right now but I've been researching a V6 conversion for it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 10, 2015 3:16 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Thanks for the info. 17' @ 3000 lb is really light. I've looked at others that are around 12-14' at that weight. I have an old 4-cyl Toyota truck that probably wouldn't pull it right now but I've been researching a V6 conversion for it.
It's short, I think 6 feet at the max height inside, and 6.5 feet wide. That shaves off a bit of weight. Scamp makes a lighter trailer yet. Yu go tu Minnysoda to ged dat one, hey.