Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Maude - HighTraverse - Mt Carne
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MomvsWild

MomvsWild
PostMon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 pm 
Larch are at their peak, so we had a wonderful trip up Mt Carne, across the high traverse and camping at upper ice lake. The next day we summited Mt Maude via S Slope and hiked out from Leroy Basin to Phelps Creek trail. Note: Road is very bumpy to Trail head. Bring high clearance vehicles. NO RUNNING WATER AT LEROY BASIN. If you are going up Maude this way, make sure you pump on the way in Leroy Creek trail. By the campsites/toilet the creek is dry!

renachinn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 am 
Last week, I found the creek by the Leroy campsite dry as well, however if you follow it downstream for 100 yards, there is a good amount of flowing water. In fact, I even found a trail from that spot back up to the camps.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 9:05 am 
How about water sources in Carne Basin and along the high route (Box Creek and Chipmunk Creek)?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 10:06 am 
Water can likely be found in Chipmunk creek if you drop a couple hundred feet below the trail, and it can definitely be found in the Box Creek meadows that the trail remnant passes through.

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 am 
Here is the water in Carne Basin from this last Saturday (10/3). It is there, but just super shallow and you gotta find the best spots to filter. There's water though.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Odysseus
Hammer

Odysseus
Hammer
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 11:46 am 
I you camped out at Upper Ice Lakes you violated a Forest Service Closure Order. You camped inside a closed area. Fine max $5000.00 or imprisonment for not more then six months. Did you call the Forest Service to confirm conditions first?

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 1:15 pm 
Odysseus wrote:
You camped inside a closed area. Fine max $5000.00 or imprisonment for not more then six months. Did you call the Forest Service to confirm conditions first?
The following was copied from my own comment on my own trip report... We saw the closure order from September 17, however the Ranger on the phone told us that "not everything on the website has been updated yet" and then later we saw the September 28 Wolverine Fire update posted which says, "Chiwawa Road and areas previously closed on Wenatchee River Ranger District are now open". That's kind of vague, but we saw nothing at the trailhead which indicated any closures.
screen capture
screen capture

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 1:28 pm 
I didn't want to nitpick in the other post, so I didn't comment on it further, but since it is being discussed again here: the statement "Chiwawa Road and areas previously closed on Wenatchee River Ranger District are now open" is in principle consistent with the closure order published. The boundary of the Wenatchee River Ranger District and the Entiat District runs across the ridge. The *Wenatchee* areas are open, the Entiat area is not. I really wish though that the FS websites would publish a clear map with their verbal description, which can be very hard to sort out. I did find this, which appears to show the closure area in purple. I'm not sure if this is kept up to date when the closure area changes. http://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=bd6c1ad8feb541e7952fc097273f926f If I understood all the info correct (didn't call any ranger stations to confirm), then technically you can go to Maude, but you would be exactly on the boundary of the area, so perhaps better to stay out of there. (edit: you need to zoom in and do some other random things to see the purple closure area)

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 1:55 pm 
Odysseus wrote:
I you camped out at Upper Ice Lakes you violated a Forest Service Closure Order. You camped inside a closed area. Fine max $5000.00 or imprisonment for not more then six months. Did you call the Forest Service to confirm conditions first?
So I was another backpacker that went into the Spider Meadow area this weekend. I called the Wenatchee Ranger Station and everything was cleared. Even driving up I stopped at any signage just to make sure and on the way up Chiwawa Road read the sign posting looking for any closures up on Leroy Creek to the Ice Lakes area and there was nothing. Nothing that said anything about those areas being closed even looking at the map that was posted. Now I didn't go up there and I know there were lots of backpackers along the ridge just by seeing their occasional headlamp across from the Spider Knob area and there is no way every single person missed the signs for closures. So the problem isn't the backpackers, it is the FOREST SERVICE by NOT MAKING it clear that the AREA is still CLOSED Even if it is not in the Wenatchee Forest Service jurisdiction, they know very well that is a popular route up to Ice Lakes and they should be just as responsible for posting closure signs for areas accessible from their area. I swear what is going on here on NWHikers with the self-righteous, elitist attitude?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 2:48 pm 
Obi Tony Kenobi wrote:
Now I didn't go up there and I know there were lots of backpackers along the ridge just by seeing their occasional headlamp across from the Spider Knob area and there is no way every single person missed the signs for closures. So the problem isn't the backpackers, it is the FOREST SERVICE by NOT MAKING it clear that the AREA is still CLOSED
I did the high-route that same weekend and also camped at Ice Lakes. I checked the website first and didn't see a single sign at the trailhead or anywhere along the route indicating the lakes were still off limits. Afterwards I was informed they were closed by a ranger who had camped out in Leroy Basin and was doing the high route. Perhaps adding signage? I don't think anyone there intentionally violated the order, it was just very unclear which areas were still off limits.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 4:17 pm 
There is nothing elitist about looking at a map of a closure area (if one exists, of course) before one's trip, then looking at a map of where you plan to go to determine if your route enters through a closed area. This is called trip planning. It is also known as plain old common sense. The Forest Service is not your mommy-daddy.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 4:20 pm 
Most of the posts here violate the no spray in trip reports policy. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
littlebit

littlebit
PostTue Oct 06, 2015 11:24 pm 
Ice lakes is one of my favorite areas as is (was?) the Entiat river valley. According to the fire maps, the Wolverine fire burned a good chunk of the Entiat. How bad does it look?

wanderwild

wanderwild
PostWed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 pm 
I took these photos from the ridge between Carne Mountain and Mt. Maude this last Saturday. It looks pretty bad (St. Helens-esque...). I know there was already some burn in that area though, based on Google Earth imagery. Haven't personally been that far up the Entiat though, so I don't know how much worse this is now than whatever was there previously. In the last photo you can see the fire still burning below Ice Lakes, but looks like it was pretty close to going out.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Oct 08, 2015 4:47 pm 
The FS has posted a more clear map now: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/okawen/alerts-notices/?aid=29690 http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3848859.pdf (This is not to complain about an obviously honest confusion, but to inform people who want to head out to this area, who will likely read these reports)