Forum Index > Partners > Car swap for through hike in Enchantments Sat. Oct. 17?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nlasbo

nlasbo
PostTue Oct 13, 2015 11:18 am 
I'm hoping to do a through hike in the Enchantments on Saturday, starting at either Stuart Lake TH or Snow Lake TH. We could set up to do a car swap if anyone else is doing it in the same time frame, i.e. leave our cars at our respective trailheads, either with keys hidden or we arrange a rendezvous along the trail, then I would drive your car to the trailhead you would end up at and grab my car. Message me!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jointhedance

jointhedance
PostFri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 pm 
If the car to car doesn't shape up, there is a taxi service in town, and the intra trailhead shuttle is routine, but I recall it cost fifty bucks. When partner and I made the through-hike, she had scheduled the taxi to take us from the END of hike, at Snow Lake trailhead, to the car at Stuart Lake Trailhead. The taxi did not show up at all, and I recruited a couple of tourists from Albany, Oregon to give us rides up to our car. They loved having us ride with them! I think it is not difficult or sketchy, and rather routine, for hikers to hitch rides

neek

neek
PostFri Oct 16, 2015 10:11 pm 
jointhedance wrote:
I think it is not difficult or sketchy, and rather routine, for hikers to hitch rides
Indeed...but once I wasn't offered a ride until having walked 7 of the 9 miles to the upper trail, and at that point decided to be a purist and walk the remainder. Another option, if you haven't found anyone yet, is to put one vehicle inside another. It helps if one of them is relatively small--say, with two wheels, a triangular frame, and no motor. But it's downhill almost all the way, so there's little difference. Key swaps make me nervous unless it's with someone you know well--there's so much that can go wrong.

christensent

christensent
PostSat Oct 17, 2015 8:22 am 
neek wrote:
Indeed...but once I wasn't offered a ride until having walked 7 of the 9 miles to the upper trail, and at that point decided to be a purist and walk the remainder. Another option, if you haven't found anyone yet, is to put one vehicle inside another. It helps if one of them is relatively small--say, with two wheels, a triangular frame, and no motor. But it's downhill almost all the way, so there's little difference. Key swaps make me nervous unless it's with someone you know well--there's so much that can go wrong.
The way to do it and how I always have is to hike together as a single group, then everyone gets to drive only their own car. Plus you might make a potential friend.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
jointhedance

jointhedance
PostSat Oct 17, 2015 6:07 pm 
yeh, we had to hang out in the parking lot for an hour and wait for a likely looking tourist to stop. and I made a friendly greeting. bit of luck ..

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Oct 19, 2015 6:02 pm 
Exited via Snow and after waiting on the hot road for almost an hour, I waved a $20 and got a ride back to the other trailhead pretty quick hockeygrin.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Nov 23, 2015 8:11 am 
jointhedance wrote:
yeh, we had to hang out in the parking lot for an hour and wait for a likely looking tourist to stop. and I made a friendly greeting. bit of luck ..
I still remember the time 10-12 years ago when I was asked for a ride (from somewhere on the road to Paradise back to Longmire) by a haggard looking guy with a pack, and I refused. True, the car was completely full with grandkids, wife, etc, but I've felt bad about that ever since.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Bary

Bary
PostWed Dec 16, 2015 7:26 pm 
This topic reminds me of my hitchhiking adventure after hiking a considerable portion of the Wonderland Trail. I came out at White River and caught a ride to the hwy. Sitting at a convenient pulloff, I presented my thumb to steady, heavy traffic. I might have be there 2 hours watching hundreds or cars blow by. Finally, a long, fancy car pulls over, and the elderly, well dressed couple offer me a ride. To my surprise, it was the Park Superintendent, giving a tour to Jennifer Dunn, our US Representative. There was a media car following, and several times we stopped and they posed for a photo. They were very gracious, dropping me at my car in Longmire. Thanks Super!

jointhedance

jointhedance
PostThu Dec 17, 2015 5:08 pm 
what a great story!