Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Affordable car keys?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 4:54 pm 
150 for key. 150 to program key. Make an appointment. Drop the car off to have it programmed. ((Just for a car key)) I looked on eBay but I've bought car stuff there that didn't work. Saving some money to later have to walk out from some remote trailhead because the key failed to work would probably send me over the edge. Any thoughts? These keys, do you need to protect them in a zip lock in your pack to protect them from moisture? I have been doing that just in case.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 5:44 pm 
It's ridiculous. With Honda's at least there is a "per session" programming fee and *ALL* keys need to be reprogrammed as a group. e.g. If you walk in with a key and ask for an extra key -- any other spare keys you have stored at home will no longer work. So if you are going to do it -- get several spares at once. For hiking, I don't worry about wet too much -- but my pack has an inner "key pocket" with a keeper as well as a water resistant zipper... Ziplock bags are cheap -- but then you loose the security of connecting the keys to a key keeper, which makes it harder for the keys to fall out when rooting around in the pack. For kayaking , the keys always go in a small rollup dry bag with my wallet and phone. (and then inside a larger rollup dry bag) For a spare key hidden on the vehicle somewhere -- a Ziplock bag with some Dri-Z Air pellets and then encased in duct tape...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 6:05 pm 
Ah, the joys and expenses of 'Technology'. I think my next vehicle will be another 70's Ford or Chevy pickup, something a regular person can actually still work on, and won't break the bank.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 6:24 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
With Honda's at least there is a "per session" programming fee and *ALL* keys need to be reprogrammed as a group. e.g. If you walk in with a key and ask for an extra key -- any other spare keys you have stored at home will no longer work. So if you are going to do it -- get several spares at once.
This is also what Nissan told me with my Maxima... One fee to program up to 4 fobs and they all had to be "reprogrammed" together. I was going to buy a couple of spares online and then take to a dealer for programming. Ended up getting rid of the car though so can't say if the "on line" fobs were decent or not.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Oct 14, 2015 6:26 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
For hiking, I don't worry about wet too much -- but my pack has an inner "key pocket" with a keeper as well as a water resistant zipper... Ziplock bags are cheap -- but then you loose the security of connecting the keys to a key keeper, which makes it harder for the keys to fall out when rooting around in the pack.
I've read on the Subaru Outback forum that the fobs are pretty water resistant/sealed pretty well. People have claimed dunking them underwater for at least short periods of time with no damage. I dunno that I would try it at home, but it would seem that at least surface/rain type of moisture probably won't kill em.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 am 
tigermn wrote:
I dunno that I would try it at home, but it would seem that at least surface/rain type of moisture probably won't kill em.
The embarassing truth is that my 2010 honda keys have been through the wash a couple times and still work OK, but I don't reccommend that.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 9:15 am 
Yea on the Subaru forum I've heard people report they have washed and dried their key fobs and they still work. Don't try this at home, but at least it provides some comfort they can take a little rain.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 9:49 am 
Doe they use RFID technology? $150 to reprogram RFID is indeed ridiculous...bordering on "Gouging", if not crossing the border.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 am 
For my Honda replacement blanks from Amazon are only $12 vs $80 at the dealer. http://amzn.com/B00KTHUV9Y and it looks like reprogramming for Hondas is actually pretty simple:
You'll still need someone to cut the blank -- but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 10:59 am 
tigermn wrote:
Yea on the Subaru forum I've heard people report they have washed and dried their key fobs and they still work. Don't try this at home, but at least it provides some comfort they can take a little rain.
I have a '15 Forester. I've screwed up and run the key/fob through the wash twice. Still works.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 12:27 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
tigermn wrote:
I have a '15 Forester. I've screwed up and run the key/fob through the wash twice. Still works.
There's really no reason why a little water should mess it up permanently. Solid state electronics and very low voltage/amperage battery. I suppose if the water caused an internal short it's possible something could get cooked, but not likely.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Oct 15, 2015 5:52 pm 
What year and brand of car?

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Oct 16, 2015 4:07 pm 
The dealer needed the car for a few hours..... Free shuttle. (5 mile radius) The bill- $324.00 (2012 Scion) And a free car wash coupon! I stopped by a reputable locksmith company on the way home for some schooling on the whole program key thing. He said the dealer wasn't far off with the price because my key has the lock/unlock buttons on the key. My make, model and year he couldn't do at all. I asked about durability of these keys and he warned me about throwing these particular keys on the counter because the chip's glass and might break causing internal problems. And although chips are sealed, he suggested they be stowed in a zip lock, just in case. Why chance it when the replacement keys are so expensive? Glad that's over.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Oct 16, 2015 11:56 pm 
2006 Mazda 3. One if the key fobs died. I'm dragging replacing them if the other dies. I know I can just use the key to get in but I love using the fob to lock it from the outside.