Forum Index > Trail Talk > Way trail from Captain Point to Johnson Ridge, Scorpion Mt.?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 6:38 pm 
Yesterday our little Motley Crew made it up to Captain Point from the abandoned Kelley Creek trail via the new awesome trail the Volunteers of America are building. (Thanks VOW!) We did not see a clear path heading towards Johnson Ridge like I had heard about. Of course, why would it be clear when no one uses it, but has anyone done this little stretch of trail? Also, I was looking at an old Pargeter Map which shows a trail going along Valhalla Mt. from the PCT and over to Captain Point. Anyone ever done this? It looked intriguing! Thanks in advance for any helpful information. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:08 pm 
I explored that area one day, but it was 20+ years ago and probably won't add much to what you already saw. I hiked the usual trail to Scorpion Mtn, then found the unmapped trail (advertised in the 100 Hikes book at that time) heading S toward Captain Point. It petered out quickly, but cross-country travel S on the ridge to the pretty basin just NE of Captain Point wasn't hard. From there I found more trail heading E along the ridge, but it was already sluffing badly in ~1992 in the soft steep meadow on the S side of the ridge. I followed it to a helipad on the high point ~1/2 mile E of Captain Point, where it seemed to disappear. There is a stretch of logging road along the saddle (between Captain Point and Valhalla Mtn) a bit E of where I stopped.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:31 pm 
Once upon a time, 'lo those many years ago, there was a trail all along that ridge line. The east end was on the crest trail. Here is a TR from some years back plus a map I made. Carefully note the place where the trail drops off the east side of the ridge before climbing back to the ridge. Disclaimer: I have not been on this trail for quite a few years. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10989 http://www.mappingsupport.com/hiking/US2/Kelley_Creek.png This trail appears on an out-of-print USFS map I have.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:36 pm 
Thanks, Conrad, that is interesting. I thought I saw the way trail heading east up the ridge at Captain Point. I wonder if the helipad was for logging? I also saw the logging road in the saddle between Valhalla and Captain Point. We'll probably have better luck finding the way trail from the Scorpion Mt. end of it. It takes a while to get through the 1,000 blowdowns coming up from Kelley Creek. eek.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:45 pm 
Thanks Joey, those are great directions! I wish we had them yesterday. But then we would have had gone farther and had three hours of headlamp hiking out instead of two.lol.gif Having map and compass is very important in this area and yes, we were taking careful notes where we came out on the ridge for our trip back!

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 7:50 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
We'll probably have better luck finding the way trail from the Scorpion Mt. end of it.
Maybe not. Coming from Scorpion I never saw any visible sign where the trail dropped off the ridge to the east. Just off the ridge crest the first ~50 feet of trail is overgrown with brush. If you are standing just below that patch of brush after snowmelt and before green up then you can just barely maybe see the faintest impression of the trail under the brush. I seem to recall seeing a switchback.

cartman

cartman
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 8:17 pm 
I traveled this route from Scorpion to Captain Pt. about nine yrs. ago. The trail was very obvious coming off Scorpion and thru the meadows below to the south. Then it entered a S-trending forested ridge, where it was still obvious for a ways but with numerous blowdowns. The farther toward Captain Pt we went, the more obscure the trail became, then we lost it. To summit Captain was all off-trail. Apparently the trail went all the way from Johnson Ridge to Scenic, but is going back to nature past Scorpion.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 8:48 pm 
This is even more interesting, Cartman. We came through the blowdowns from Kelley Creek yesterday, and there is flagging to help stay on course. We popped out onto the ridgetop into the lovely basin just below Captain Point that Conrad was talking about and you can see a faint way trail that goes on up the east ridge of Captain Point. When you approached the blowdown (actually it looked more like a massive avalanche) area, there was no doubt not any flagging to show where the old trail was before it became obliterated, so maybe you missed where it went into the basin.
Scorpion Mt. From the abandoned trail
Scorpion Mt. From the abandoned trail
It's my understanding from reading Joey's old TR, that the trail which follows blazes runs along the right (east side) of this ridge north to Scorpion. Correct me if I'm wrong, Joey! smile.gif

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
It's my understanding from reading Joey's old TR, that the trail which follows blazes runs along the right (east side) of this ridge north to Scorpion.
The map I posted showed where there is an old USFS sign on the ridge north of Captain Point. Here is a pic.
Sign_north_of_Captain_Point
Sign_north_of_Captain_Point
From that sign going north toward Scorpion, first the trail is just a bit on the *west* side of the ridge crest. It then crosses the ridge and drops down the east side a ways. Eventually it climbs back to the ridge top prior to the first big grassy meadow.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 18, 2015 10:18 pm 
Ok! Thanks for clarifying for us. smile.gif Joey wrote: "there was a trail all along that ridge line. The east end was the crest trail" Cartman wrote:"Apparently the trail went all the way from Johnson Ridge to Scenic" Oh, to have those days back again. That must have been a very nice ridge ramble once upon a time.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostMon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 am 
I have done the old trail going east of Captain Point toward the crest trail. It was easy to find once out of the clearcut where the road comes out at the pass east of Captain Point. Found this trail marker along the way (dark picture)
30 Captain point east July 1993 --022d
30 Captain point east July 1993 --022d
Here is the map of where I went
000b Captain point east
000b Captain point east
Also did the Scorpian to Captain Point (1984). Was an easy Crosscountry, don't remember a trail or such. Was really a bummer to get to the top of Captain Point only to see a road 100 yds down hill!! Drove up that road another year to see the meteor showers (now gated)

RichP

RichP
PostMon Oct 19, 2015 12:08 pm 
Some more info and a map. I'm considering a hike in the area tomorrow. If time permits, I might check it out. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2985&highlight=captain+pt+point

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Oct 19, 2015 12:10 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
1,000 blowdowns coming up from Kelley Creek.
Between the saddle and the avalanche area are about 60 blowdown (counting everything, even the trivial ones) with about 18 "significant" ones. Then I lost count -- I panicked, darkness coming on, looking for my corgi who disobeyed and made it through much of the avy debris on his own -- I estimate 100-120 total blowdown with maybe 25 of them "significant" and only a couple RABs (Right Awkward Buggers). It is not too hard, especially since we took out the low-hanging fruit and swamped-out the remaining RABs, and a corgi can do most of it. One or two you have to slither under. Somebody has sawn-out some of the big logs in the avvy chute, but clearing that will be a major job. We followed the new VOW(?) trail from the west end of Iron Goat (the horseshoe tunnel). This joins an older trail that crosses Kelley Creek, a good tread, but a very short section at the junction has diverted and looks quite obscure from the east side (the old Kelley Creek Trail). Returning, I would've walked right past it in the dark, except the dog was leading -- the nose beats a headlamp any night. Not much water in Kelley Creek; a dry-foot rockhop ford. Wow, it would be interesting to try to follow that "North Crest Cutoff" from Captain Point all the way to the PCT. Al sniffs a project coming on... Ooh. I remember now. We turned back at the clearing N of Captain Point, at about 5000'. Looking SSE, there looked like a clear trail coming off Captain Point down its east ridge, in open meadow just below the crest on the N side; maybe that's the cutoff.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 pm 
We'd still be up there if it wasn't for Al.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Oct 20, 2015 9:21 pm 
I walked the trail from Scorpion to Captain Point today. It's in surprisingly good shape and easy to follow.