Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Get off the damn phone rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 9:51 am 
I'm just about 100% fed up with people that can't hang up the damn phone to spend 30 minutes having lunch with me, hike in solitude without texting or just drive somewhere in car without answering the 10 texts of some friend. My plan is to bring a book when I hang out with these folks and just start reading when they have to get on the phone. Make your own rules folks. Texts DO NOT have to be answered immediately if you say they don't. Keep the phone in the pack not glued to your butt. curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif Does a ringing phone or non-stop texting of a hiking partner make you want to scream when you've driven 2 hours to get away from it all? I'm all for bringing a phone for safety, I just don't answer it if it rings or it's even turned off (but fully charged of course).

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 10:10 am 
Love the Rhett and Link video- one of my favorite bands! up.gif I have a deep loathing for phones, so many times people just use them to talk to people whom they will see in person before too long! Smartphones have made things even worse, since now people are not only distracted by calls and text, but by twitter, facebook, and the many other time wasters on the internet. I usually carry a flip phone for emergencies, but most of the time I just leave it turned off.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 10:57 am 
bumper sticker
bumper sticker
Vol. 1 of Exploring Washington's Historic Mines (Oso Publishing) has a photo of a couple miners in front of their cabin, holding a guitar and a fiddle. "In those days" the caption reads, "many people played their own instruments". Imagine. Edison thought his recording/talking machine would replace courtroom stenographers; instead, it replaced the singer, the orchestra, the piano player, and everybody else. "Without the automobile that has rendered me unable to walk, how am I going to get to the hospital?" (Phillip Slater, in either The Pursuit of Loneliness or Earthwalk, early 1970s, in a chapter on technology titled, "The Extensdions of Man, or, 'Say Hello to the Nice Fist'"). A friend of a friend was running with earbuds. Ran right in front of a van. Last I heard: hemiplegic, blind, asking my friend for help in ending her life. You can't get to the wilderness if you take the city with you. What I like about my SPOT: although it does ruin the solo wilderness experience, it's a responsible courtesy to the SAR angels who have to come searching for me if I eff-up. I can send an "OK" to my family, but it does not enable me to communicate much beyond that. I'm not really getting away from it all, but I can still pretend. And it really does ruin the wilderness experience. It is not like it used to be.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 10:57 am 
I hate the Phone Zombies. The ones who walk into you because they have their brains glued to their phone while walking down the sidewalk. Then they get all pissed that you weren't looking out for them. "can't you see I'm being an idiot - so it is on you to move out of my way". Sort of the same attitude those folks have in the woods - it is everyone else's job to be on the look out for ME. I don't need a map, don't need any extra gear, I don't even need to know where I'm going - there are plenty of other people out there who's only purpose for living is to make sure I get back safely - so I don't need to bother myself with any of that.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 12:38 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Does a ringing phone or non-stop texting of a hiking partner make you want to scream when you've driven 2 hours to get away from it all?
One reason I hike solo. Plus I am usually in areas where there is no reception in the first place.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
iron

iron
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 pm 
i need to find that bumper sticker for my bike commute. i've been thinking of something like that for awhile...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 1:42 pm 
Not much of a problem here. Once you get out of the valley, there isn't much in the way of reception. That drives some people crazy. A friend of mine and another guy were cutting up some wood next to a road. Two cars pull up and fearfully ask him where are they? He is a bearded burly guy and said he was all sweaty too. Oh, and he's a banjo player too. eek.gif Their google map showed them being somewhere that they were not. They could not believe that they were not where it said, and were upset that their phones did not work either, and looked scared. I think he convinced them of their location and then he wrote a song about it--we still play instruments around here, called, Your Cell Phone Won't Work Here.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Badger

Badger
PostFri Oct 30, 2015 2:13 pm 
I was visiting some friends one time and they (he and his wife) decided to hang out and chat with people online. After about 10 minutes I stood up and left. They were floored and wanted to know why I was leaving.... shakehead.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 9:33 am 
Just saw this today. lol.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 11:26 am 
Most of the time I really don't care about some stranger being glued to their phone. Two exceptions:
  • Probably 75% of the time I get stuck behind someone doing 40 mph in a 55 zone, it's because they are on their phone and unaware of the correct speed limit
  • People in the gym who look for some comfy place to locate themselves (mostly whatever workout station I'm wanting to use) to send text messages, update their facebook page, take selfies, .....
  • Slight variant of above: They are actually moving (sitting there moving bars or foot pedals back and forth), but with virtually no required exertion, thus enabling them to sit there for 10 - 15 minutes at a time

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 11:34 am 
Awesome video! up.gif up.gif I recently got a cell phone for the first time in my life with zero reception. This means that I can pretty much only use it at home with Wifi or at a store/friend's house. My brother told me recently that I'm "wasting my cell phone by not carrying it around town". Hmmmmmm, what should I do? clown.gif A few years back I was not among the teens who had a cell phone. I didn't send a text until I was an adult. Sure I had plenty of opportunities but wasn't it to it. - Typed from a non hand set cool.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 2:30 pm 
I have kids and it is even worse....The biggest mistake of my parenting career was giving my son his first cell phone....

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 2:52 pm 
I wonder how many of these rants were posted using a handset.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 8:46 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I wonder how many of these rants were posted using a handset.
Yea... exactly... While I think I can count on two fingers the times I have talked on a cell phone while actually hiking (one was work related), I personally don't care what other people do on a hike.. I don't see talking on a cell phone any different than people walking and blabbing to each other on the trail. In fact the walker/talkers are usually louder anyway as you get to hear both ends of the conversation. At least with a cell phone unless they have it on speaker, you only hear half of it. What do I care.... Everyone is out there for different reasons. Your reason is no more valid than someone else's.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Oct 31, 2015 8:55 pm 
Leave phone off, buried deep in the pack. Anything else that's beeps or chirps,leave it home.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost