Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 11:46 pm 
Quote:
Was there an incident that occurred?
is there a day that goes by when some idiot talking on his phone (or texting) doesn't try to kill me on a public right-of-way?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Nov 04, 2015 11:56 pm 
Not a day goes by? You must have some bad karma. wink.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 12:41 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I'm assuming you have some statistics to so matter-of-factly be stating your opinion.
I assume you are referring to the assertion that both coldrain and I made that talking with someone who is in the car with you tends to be less of a distraction from driving than talking to someone hands-free on the phone. Check the link I shared above for some experimental stats that support the contention:
Quote:
Some of the research evidence seems to bear this out
Quote:
Our fourth study contrasted two modes of conversation commonlyengagedinwhiledriving: Conversationwithafriendviaa hands-free cell phone versus conversation with a friend seated inthepassengerseatlocatednexttothedriverinthevehicle.We hypothesized that these two conversations would differ because passengers tend to adjust their conversation based on driving difficulty; often helping the driver to navigate and identify hazards on the roadway and pausing the conversations during difficult sections of the drive. By contrast, this real-time adjustment basedupon traffic demands isnot possible withcellphone conversations. Participantswereinstructedtodriveonamultilanefreewayand exit at a rest stop approximately 8 miles down the road. We found that the majority of drivers (88%) who were conversing with a passengersuccessfullycompletedthetaskofnavigatingtotherest area, whereas 50% of the drivers talking on a cell phone failed to navigate to the rest area. Analysis of the video recordings indicated that a primary difference between these two modes of communication was that the passenger helped the driver in the navigation task by reminding them to exit at the rest stop. Moreover,ouranalysisofthecontentoftheconversationindicatedthat references to traffic conditions were more likely with passenger conversations than they were with cell-phone conversations.
Searching on Google Scholar will turn up more relevant studies. I'll leave the non-stewardship related policy/politics discussion for another forum. Awareness of reality seems like enough for a rant thread in any case.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 4:11 am 
joker wrote:
Have fun in your new home Randy. That is quite a change for you! Oh well,I wish I'd managed to get out skiing with you more while you were still here
Thanks , at the moment this is more of a sojourn, than a permanent move. Three kids in diapers and both my son and daughter-in-law work. He's a public defender and she's a teacher. They will benefit from some help.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 8:57 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I'm assuming you have some statistics to so matter-of-factly be stating your opinion.
There have been dozens of studies on this! It's like you asked if it ever rains in the PNW.
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Less distracting or not, I'd rather not have some gov't entity (who can seldom get ANYTHING right) tell me I can't use a hands-free device in my car. YMMV. Good luck enforcing a ban on hands-free devices.
Ok the goofy paranoia about government boogymen came out. Good job. rolleyes.gif

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 9:04 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I moved to NYC recently for family recently (newborn twin grand daughters and a 20 mo grandson
up.gif Hats off to you Randy. That is serious commitment and sacrifice as a grandparent.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 9:19 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Thanks , at the moment this is more of a sojourn, than a permanent move.
Well, let's ski whenever you come back! In the meantime, I'm sure you're already figuring out how to enjoy The City. I suggest a quest for the best pizza. And see if you can figure out if there really is an "original" Ray's Pizza (my wife and in-laws have claimed "yes," but that it is not called "famous" or "original" - just "Ray's" smile.gif ). Have you been to Katz's yet?

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I think grand theft auto is really just a simulation of driving in Manhattan.
I really liked driving in Italy - the traffic light system was very different. The yellow light was not a warning that the signal was about to turn red but a warning that the signal was about to turn green, so rev the engine and get ready to hit it! Like the start of road race. In NYC I noticed that just BEFORE the light turns green all the cabs start honking, no reason to even wait to see if the person at the front is being a distracted moron - just assume it as the truth. I used to drive in NYC quite a bit, I lived in CT right on the boarder with NY, so we would go to The City all the time. John's Pizzeria in the Village is the best. Mamouns is great 24 hour grub!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 am 
Tom wrote:
Not a day goes by? You must have some bad karma. wink.gif
could be. or maybe it's just that I drive on North Pearl street daily - lot of kids.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 2:38 pm 
Ski wrote:
are there any examples anyone can cite where someone has been incarcerated for causing an accident while talking on their cell phone and/or texting while driving?
Some kid out east got a year for killing a pedestrian. He may even have served a month or three, too. Next time you DUI of a phone, ask yourself how you'd feel about someone who crippled your kid while they were texting/phoning while driving. The social acceptability of this behavior astounds me -- it's as if it'd suddenly become OK to have 3 beers and drive. There was a gal on I-90 or I-80 in... Idaho? who got the death penalty for driving her car under the rear end of a semi on dry open road, no traffic -- not from our legal system, it was the laws of physics. Instant, no plea bargains, no appeals. Think about that: did the consequence fit the crime?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 3:36 pm 
I can't help but think about several recent car commercials I've seen recently that brag about the connectivity of the car. It might all be voice activated, but maybe not a great idea to be talking to your car while driving, having it make phone calls for you or google stuff or bring up a map on a heads up display or something, right?

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 4:56 pm 
You'd think companies would insist their employees NOT talk and drive.... Safety first or is it self first? Sorry my bad. I saw some dude yesterday that was tailgating, driving erratically and what do you know, he was on the phone. up.gif A contractor of some sort.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 5:01 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I moved to NYC recently for family recently (newborn twin grand daughters and a 20 mo grandson
up.gif Hats off to you Randy. That is serious commitment and sacrifice as a grandparent.
Well I consider myself fortunate on two accounts: 1) I was able to live across the street from my own parents and my kids had the benefit of grandma and grandpa across the street. 2) I'm able to move to NYC and continue working remotely (helping make more content available to "Cord Cutters") BTW -- I bought a Honda Fit in 2010 -- when it had just 700 miles on it I got rear-ended on I-405 by a van loaded with painting equipment. The driver got out of the van -- and before I could say a word he exclaimed "I wasn't texting!".

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
There have been dozens of studies on this! It's like you asked if it ever rains in the PNW.
Cyclopath wrote:
Ok the goofy paranoia about government boogymen came out. Good job. rolleyes.gif
It's not paranoia. I'm not paranoid, what I am is logical and pragmatic. Put some thought into it, I dare you. Or you can attempt to make fun of me - it doesn't hurt my feelings, especially considering the source.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Nov 05, 2015 7:34 pm 
Hey RandyHiker, there is some great hiking in the NYC area. Check out Minnewaska State Park about 90 miles north of the city and the whole Shawangunk Ridge for some ideas. Enjoy the hardwood forest!