Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Referring to ships as "she"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Thinktraub

Thinktraub
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 am 
I know it's a custom, but I cringe whenever someone refers to a ship as "she." I've gone out with a few ships and boats in the past, and much to my disappointment, I didn't find any female genitals after some necking progressed to its otherwise natural conclusion.

Traub Name Meaning: German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): metonymic occupational name for a wine-grower, from Middle High German trube ‘bunch of grapes’, German Traube.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:32 am 
Lissen matey, thar be kings who try to command the tides, and landsmen (sic) who question sailors' traditions. If ye call a ship a "he", they'll know you's a lubber who don't know whether "starboard" means the front or the back. Let's start with something easier, and declare that the sun rises in the west...

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:41 am 
My grandmother’s favorite joke, (before hurricanes included male names): Why are hurricanes named after women? I don’t know, why are hurricanes named after women. Ever hear of a “his-icane?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 am 
wolffie wrote:
If ye call a ship a "he", they'll know you's a lubber who don't know whether "starboard" means the front or the back.
Starboard is right, port is left. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 pm 
Quark wrote:
wolffie wrote:
If ye call a ship a "he", they'll know you's a lubber who don't know whether "starboard" means the front or the back.
Starboard is right, port is left. up.gif
Beat me to it! Though I'm most definitely a land lubber. tongue.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:01 pm 
Quark wrote:
Why are hurricanes named after women? I don’t know, why are hurricanes named after women.
I think hurricane names alternate between men and women. smile.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:02 pm 
Quark wrote:
Starboard is right, port is left.
Damn and blast, ye grass-combin' bugger, even a wee snotty midshipman who cain't tell a prowlburke from a glooming-pot bowse* kens that "right" and "left" be terms relative to the frame of reference of the speaker, whilst the reliable operation of the vessel requires absolute referencing. Unbeknownst to him, a pirate crew knew their captain frequently and furtively studied a small paper kept in a the cabin safe. Suspecting a secret treasure map, they stole it, but found to their disappointment, "Port, left. Starboard, right". *Readers of Patrick O'Brian's The Golden Ocean will be rewarded with the charming etymology of these nautical terms.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:08 pm 
Could it be because sailing ships' figureheads were female?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:13 pm 
The Latin word for ship, navis, is feminine gender

mike

mike
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 pm 
I've generally referred to my boats as (@#%$ deleted).

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:59 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Quark wrote:
Why are hurricanes named after women? I don’t know, why are hurricanes named after women.
They are now, but that's relatively recent - I think since the 1980s or so....? But yeah, it's a female name, then the next up is a male name, is that right?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 12:59 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
The Latin word for ship, navis, is feminine gender
THat must be the answer!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 1:06 pm 
Quark wrote:
GaliWalker wrote:
Quark wrote:
They are now, but that's relatively recent. But yeah, it's a female name, then the next up is a male name, is that right?
Yup. And you are correct, initially only female names were used; men's names were interspersed by 1978-9, according to this source.
Quote:
In the early days of meteorology in the United States storms were named with a latitude / longitude designation representing the location where the storm originated. These names were difficult to remember, difficult to communicate and subject to errors. During the Second World War military meteorologists working in the Pacific began to use women's names for storms. That naming method made communication so easy that in 1953 it was adopted by the National Hurricane Center for use on storms originating in the Atlantic Ocean. Once this practice started, hurricane names quickly became part of common language and public awareness of hurricanes increased dramatically. In 1978, meteorologists watching storms in the eastern North Pacific began using men's names for half of the storms. Meteorologists for the Atlantic ocean began using men's names in 1979.

Thinktraub

Thinktraub
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 2:22 pm 
A girl in college expressed it well, and it's stuck with me. She said: It find it strange that people refer to a vessel loaded with seamen a "she."

Traub Name Meaning: German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): metonymic occupational name for a wine-grower, from Middle High German trube ‘bunch of grapes’, German Traube.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 pm 
Navin R. Johnson: These hoodlums are dangerous. I think we oughta get out of here before she sees us. Marie: She? Navin R. Johnson: What? Marie: You said she. Navin R. Johnson: No! No! I always call a gang "she". It's like when you call a boat "she", or a hurricane "she". Marie: Or a girl? Navin R. Johnson: A girl, you can call a girl she, that's just one of the many things you can call she.