Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Obesity Paradox
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:02 pm 
Quote:
Since then, dozens of studies have confirmed the existence of the paradox. Being overweight is now believed to help protect patients with an increasingly long list of medical problems, including pneumonia, burns, stroke, cancer, hypertension, and heart disease. Researchers who have tried to show that the paradox is based on faulty data or reasoning have largely come up short.
Scientists now think that being overweight can protect your health

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:17 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
Quote:
Since then, dozens of studies have confirmed the existence of the paradox. Being overweight is now believed to help protect patients with an increasingly long list of medical problems, including pneumonia, burns, stroke, cancer, hypertension, and heart disease. Researchers who have tried to show that the paradox is based on faulty data or reasoning have largely come up short.
Scientists now think that being overweight can protect your health
Was this study funded by McDonalds and Coca-Cola ?

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:26 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
ditto.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:26 pm 
Kinda makes sense. If you get sick you have a better chance of survival if you are overweight (not necessarily obese). Then again, being overweight increases your risk of getting sick. Pick your poison. Time article: http://time.com/3848497/obesity-paradox-healthy-weight/

drm

drm
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:32 pm 
I read a little more into this. The claim in more detail is that being overweight is still likely to make you sick. But once you have those conditions, having a little more weight may be beneficial. In other words, the study finds that lower weight decreases disease rates while a bit more weight decreases mortality rates for those with those diseases. The benefit from weight tends to accrue to older people more than younger. And it is only for moderate extra pounds, not for being obese. The study in question was done by CDC researchers.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 3:46 pm 
Quote from article relevant to Tom's and drm's comment:
Quote:
Flegal found the lowest mortality rates among people in the overweight to mildly obese categories. It’s true that these groups are slightly more likely to suffer from heart disease and some other life-threatening conditions in the first place. But many factors influence the likelihood of a person getting heart disease. And a strong link between weight and disease only emerges among people with severe obesity. So taken at face value, the results seemed to be showing that a little extra weight is genuinely beneficial.

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 4:37 pm 
Survival value is not necessarily what's in fashion. Skinny people are the first to die in the famines. Inuit live on saturated animal fat (at least, they did before we melted their ice). Skinnies do well in hot climes; fatties in cold. Big people can make mean, tough warriors, but small people are easier to feed. A population is thought to be more likely to adapt and survive if it has a diverse gene pool. Some big tough mean guys to fight off the invaders, some fat & small people to survive the famines, some skinnies to run down game... we probably even need some blithering idiots sometimes -- only they can survive the boredom and idiocy.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 4:39 pm 
a little extra weight is does not equal the obesity paradox. That just equals "not fashionable". My Dad was over weight to the point of obese most of my lifetime. The last 10 years of his life was miserable. His knees, feet, ankles, back, shoulders were in constant pain. He was borderline diabetic, hypertensive, high cholesterol etc. He took no less than 10 pills daily. He passed away last spring from a massive stroke at 75. You will be hard pressed to convince me that obesity has any health benefits. Now slightly overweight is no big deal as that is purely a fashion statement, who defines overweight? The clothing manufacturers, the fast food joints, GNC, big pharma? I'd hazard a guess that surviving chemo or radiation treatments is enhanced by having some extra bulk to burn while the body is at war. I like carrying a little hurricane food along with me, keeps me warm while backpacking. .

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 5:42 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
who defines overweight?
That's changing. Obesity was formerly defined by tables developed by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. The current tools are body mass index, waist circumference, and waist to hip ratio.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 9:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
Kinda makes sense. If you get sick you have a better chance of survival if you are overweight (not necessarily obese).
I was recently told exactly this by a friend, who's a doctor. Basically, he was cautioning me to maintain a tiny bit of padding in reserve, in response to my bragging about the body fat I'd cut this year (with great effort).

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 11:07 pm 
wolffie wrote:
we probably even need some blithering idiots sometimes -- only they can survive the boredom and idiocy.
Gaddam Wolffie, you slay me! ykm.gif rotf.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 11:50 pm 
It could be that anorexic and famished folks skew the statistics.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 12:57 am 
Bedivere wrote:
wolffie wrote:
we probably even need some blithering idiots sometimes -- only they can survive the boredom and idiocy.
Gaddam Wolffie, you slay me! ykm.gif rotf.gif
Indeed! up.gif lol.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 9:31 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
It could be that anorexic and famished folks skew the statistics.
Reading the article, it seems that isn't the case. The statistics aren't skewed by anything anybody has been able to find, and it's not because no one has bothered to look.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
ditto.gif
lol.gif Yes, one *does* have to wonder... My own personal study says this conclusion is indeed flawed.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology