Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cold weather solutions for hummingbird feeders?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm 
I've always put my hummingbird feeders away in the fall, but I seem to have one hummer still hanging around. I tried the Christmas light idea, but she became furious and refused to drink out of it! I am bringing the feeders in at night, but during cold spells, they will freeze up during the day as well. Any other ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 9:06 pm 
Yeah but if you miss a day and they freeze the birds that stick around your feeder for the winter instead of migrating will die...

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 9:13 pm 
That's why I have avoided it until this year. During cold snaps, I have wrapped insulating material around my horse's water buckets, so am thinking of trying something like that for the feeder. Unless it pisses the bird off..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 9:54 pm 
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Nov 19, 2015 11:53 pm 
Not so sure the hummers we see here in the winter didn't migrate. We have some year-round resident species.

Joe

Joe
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 am 
We tape hand (or feet) warmers to the bottom of the feeder. These keep the feeders from freezing for most of the day.

Joe
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 10:18 am 
We've had luck bringing them in at night, and then rubber banding hand warmers to the bottom when we put them out in the AM.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 10:36 am 
Thanks Joe and JonnyQuest, I set one up this morning with a hand warmer and the little hummer wasn't bothered by it all. I cut the toe off a black nylon stocking, cut four slits in it to go over the perches and made a little holder to slip the warmer into. A couple of pieces of duct tape snugged it up nicely. I was thinking the black color would absorb warmth from the sun. This morning it is very cold and sunny, so a perfect time to try it out! Thanks RandyHiker for the link to Chris Caviezel. Interesting story!

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 12:52 pm 
My dad put a heat lamp a few feet away from their feeder and the birds don't seem to mind it. I would also think that if you got a strand of just red Christmas lights, maybe the hummingbird wouldn't mind since they are attracted to red. Maybe a multi color strand made the bird a little nervous or confused?

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
kite

kite
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 1:05 pm 
You can try a heated hummer feeder http://www.hummersheateddelight.com/feeders.html

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 1:10 pm 
Oh, thanks for the link, kite! I'll send my kids the link so they can get me one for Christmas! up.gif biggrin.gif kawi_200, it didn't occur to me to use red lights, mainly because I didn't have any, but that is a great idea!

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 pm 
The over-wintering species we have are Anna's Hummingbirds. (They are joined by the Rufous Hummingbird through the summer months.) I have been running hummer feeders year-round for years. At the moment I have 3 feeders and about 8 to 10 birds that look to be "my" birds for the winter. I like the handwarmer idea, might give it a try. Taking the feeders in at night will only work if you can have them back out very early, every day - at least half an hour before sunrise. I personally recommend using a 3-to-1 blend, especially in winter, for two reasons: 1 - The higher sugar concentration is more resistant to freezing. If the feeders are out overnight, at first light, on the very coldest mornings, (upper teens), I wake to find the feeders looking frozen up solid - but in fact it is the water that is freezing out, and a temporarily syrupy mix is still liquid in the base of the feeder. Soon enough the sun clears the treeline, and the thaw and remixing proceeds apace. The birds don't seem to have any difficulty with this at all. 2 - The higher concentration helps let the little guys get a sugar fix faster. Anna's hummers are by nature very belligerent in "defending" a food source. An "Alpha" male will try to fend other birds off of "his" feeder - even females that might be potential mates come spring. This anti-social behavior actually escalates during cold snaps, as the strongest birds try to drive rivals to death! As evening approaches, small birds that were dodging in and out for quick sips through the day, absolutely must get a "full tank" to make it through a 15-hour frigid night. More than once I have witnessed subordinate birds at dusk, clinging to the perch for dear life sipping as fast as they can, while the Alpha male stands on the poor bird's back and plucks feathers out of the top of his head!! Again, the 3-to-1 mix lets them get what they need faster - a serious consideration. (It also helps to locate multiple feeders out of sight of one another to make it more difficult for one bird to monopolize the situation.)

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 1:43 pm 
IanB, thanks for so much helpful information. I will definitely change my sugar/water ratio. So far I only have one female overwintering, but may see more as it gets colder.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 2:04 pm 
Happy to share! Best of luck! The winter routine goes on until mid-March, when the Rufous males arrive as a wave form the south, scouting territories ahead of the females arrival. By that point I am actually delighted to see the alpha and beta Anna's males' relentless mission to monopolize utterly overwhelmed by the dozens of scrappy Rufous that swarm in. Listen for the higher-pitched buzz of the Rufous' wings when you see the first Salmonberry blooms - one of the most wonderful signs of spring!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Nov 20, 2015 4:40 pm 
a coworker and I just rescued an Anna's Hummer that got stuck in one of our buildings. A butterfly net to corner it and then bare hands to capture and release the little fellow. People with window offices and flowering plants report seeing them hovering outside their windows, one guy had one fly into his office through an open window. Several of the folks plan to put feeders out. Are they more active than usual this year?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.