Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winter climbs...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:15 pm 
What are some of everyone's favorite peaks during the winter? Me and a buddy were thinking a overnight of colchuck around Christmas but I heard they close the road. So I'm just trying to figure something else out. Something on the larger scale but not to technical. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:20 pm 
The I-90 peaks are accessible and a lot more fun in winter. Humpback, Silver, Snoqualmie, Granite (winter route).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:25 pm 
I don't think they gate the eight mile road, but neither does the county plow it.

Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:28 pm 
Yeah we do all the I-90 peaks which are great but looking for something bigger more of a two dayer!

iron

iron
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:31 pm 
-stetattle ridge -you could probably safely get up by colonial basin right now (check NWAC, other sites, your experience, etc) -stuff on the north side of hwy 542 (excelsior ridge, larabee, etc)

OwenT

OwenT
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 1:58 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I don't think they gate the eight mile road
I think they do.

MattP.

MattP.
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 2:27 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
I don't think they gate the eight mile road, but neither does the county plow it.
Per a forest service sign at the beginning of the road, it's gated (just before the first bridge) effective yesterday until Spring.

jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 2:59 pm 
North Face of Shuksan is doable as a 2-day trip for a fit party. It ups the ante in terms of technical, as the typical way it's done (up, around the summit pyramid, then back down the White Salmon) involves moving over glaciated terrain where a party not on skis may want to be roped up. The face itself is big and 45 - 50 degrees in some places. The usual strategy is to go in the day before, camp on the arm below the face (beautiful locale), then fire the next morning. You gotta carry over also. The approach / exit is nontrivial.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 4:38 pm 
Icicle Ridge is almost always accessible from the trailhead near town. Once on top you can snowshoe or ski for miles. Great views from there too.

christensent

christensent
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 7:11 pm 
Bdzzle wrote:
What are some of everyone's favorite peaks during the winter? Me and a buddy were thinking a overnight of colchuck around Christmas but I heard they close the road. So I'm just trying to figure something else out. Something on the larger scale but not to technical. Thanks
Yes it's gated in the winter, but that doesn't mean you can't go. It only adds 8 miles RT and 1400ft of elevation. I've been in there in the winter and it's a beautiful place. Don't think you'll have it alone though, dozens of other people hiked the road the weekend I went in.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 8:02 pm 
MattP. wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Per a forest service sign at the beginning of the road, it's gated (just before the first bridge) effective yesterday until Spring.
Website out of sync (as is often the case) http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5308542
Quote:
Eightmile Rd 7601 Open
Here is some useful info on Colchuck itself (at least as far as Colchuck Col) http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/16415

Bdzzle

Bdzzle
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 5:59 am 
Thanks guys I'm thinking colchuck still if it only adds 4 miles each way then that's really not that big of a deal.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 7:15 am 
Bdzzle wrote:
What are some of everyone's favorite peaks during the winter?
A friend and I enjoyed our day-climb of Garfield during early January. Our approach after fording the Taylor River was to head up the Treen Creek drainage to access the North Pass. We went in the previous week to recon the route and thereby support our eventual success. You will start and finish with headlamps. An easier adventure without a summit is to hike up Denny Creek and go through Melakwa Pass before dropping down to Snow Lake and out to the Alpental ski area. Using two cars will get you back to Denny Creek without delay.

spamfoote

spamfoote
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 2:47 pm 
Bdzzle wrote:
I personally have given up giving recommendations for winter climbs as I have no knowledge of your avalanche awareness skills or winter acumen. For some people, going up Sefrit or Shucksan is a wonderful experience. For others, mailbox peak in winter is "technical". Yes, you can get avalanched on Mailbox peak... All obvious peaks are by any winter roads. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at a map. Nice thing is that all routes are equal down low as the brush is buried under snow making access very easy. Especially in late winter. Obvious late fall early winter might not be much snow cover. Bigger peaks that are more challenging due to limited hours of daylight would be on Hwy 20 or Mt. Baker Hwy. Colonial/Pyramid/Thornton/Paul Bunyans stump/Newhalem/Backbone ridge/Pickets etc are all doable in winter and in fact, many are easier in winter than in summer, but have immense elevation. Same goes for Graybeard, Indpendence, all of Ragged Ridge etc. Some would consider Sauk "technical" in winter. Great view by the way, but beware the cliffs and avy slopes. Go up Sloan if you have the experience. 45 degree plus ice climbing for quit a bit. View can't be beat... Definitely "technical". That all being said, summer routes are not winter routes. They can be, but generally are not. Honestly, start small, take your time. Learn to read avalanche reports and watch the weather a week out and remember the wind directions a week prior so you can view the snow loadings in your snow pits based on your weather remembered knowledge. Enjoy. PS. I have taken a propane radiant heater up in the mountains in winter.... Best 3lbs ever! Don't be bashful with taking crap to keep you warm. BIG tent and BIG tarp are recommended. Especially when learning.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 3:04 pm 
The last few years, I predominantly climb with my splitboard during the winter months. Sure beats snowshoeing! Some of my favorite peaks I have climbed in winter (or early spring) conditions. 1. Saint Helens 2. Shuksan (via White Salmon-Upper Curtis-Hells Highway) 3. Baker (via Coleman-Deming) 4. Silver Star (via Silver Star Creek) A few snowshoe trips I enjoyed in years past. 1. Preacher 2. Lennox 3. Moolock/South Bessemer