contour5
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 pm 
The Nine Nations of North America
Borrowed from "12 Ways to map the Midwest"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cefire

cefire
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 6:12 pm 
Empty Quarter FTW!! (Ecotopia is pretty cool too)

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostTue Nov 24, 2015 10:23 pm 
Googled up plenty of other variations of the map that I'm sure I can't post - but I couldn't pass up this choice tidbit:

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 am 
Perfect. My hometown in eastern Indiana is right on the border of Dixie and Foundry. So true! So many southerners moved north to work in our factories the local Hoosier dialect is deeply "enriched" with a pronounced southern twang. (Not clean and pure twang of Deep South...sorta motley KY/WV twang) When I go home I am amazed at southerness of many speakers. When I first moved out West, people thought I was from Tennessee! Tom

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 7:18 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Perfect. My hometown in eastern Indiana is right on the border of Dixie and Foundry. So true! So many southerners moved north to work in our factories the local Hoosier dialect is deeply "enriched" with a pronounced southern twang. (Not clean and pure twang of Deep South...sorta motley KY/WV twang) When I go home I am amazed at southerness of many speakers. When I first moved out West, people thought I was from Tennessee! Tom
I went to school in Dayton Ohio and thought I was among many more Southerners than I really was. Not a true Southern accent, but some bastardized form of it that sounds...well...I should be nice. At any rate, I had no true appreciation for how close to Kentucky I really was. With that said, Mexamerica should at least extend to Quincy/Ephrata.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 8:25 am 
Old/Recurring proposal for splitting off eastern Washington from "Ecotopia" State of Lincoln Trouble with such proposals is tax revenues from "communist" "Puget Sound City (Seattle,Bellevue,Tacoma,Everett,Redmond,Renton,etc) finance government services across the rest of the state. When eastern Washington folks look at how much their taxes would increase to maintain their own roads, run their own state police and build their own state capital and legislature -- not too enough of them are enthusiastic about being independent to make it happen.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Old/Recurring proposal for splitting off eastern Washington from "Ecotopia" State of Lincoln Trouble with such proposals is tax revenues from "communist" "Puget Sound City (Seattle,Bellevue,Tacoma,Everett,Redmond,Renton,etc) finance government services across the rest of the state. When eastern Washington folks look at how much their taxes would increase to maintain their own roads, run their own state police and build their own state capital and legislature -- not too enough of them are enthusiastic about being independent to make it happen.
Where in this thread has anybody suggested secdeeing? Where has anybody mentioned communism? I'll retaliate by mentioning the reservoirs that we have in Lewis County that block salmon. Only one, which was built last, is a local project. And don't bite the hand that might be feeding you. I refer to meetings on earthquake preparedness held in those towns on the eastside, where they plan to stage operations out of, and where you'll be trying to get to after the big quake, if the bridges are still up or if you have a boat. Yakima and Ellensburg will be staging areas and expect to have to deal with earthquake refugees. I imagine that ecotopia will be a polluted disaster area. How much fruit is grown in that giant example of deforestation you live in? Wheat? Spuds? Now your answer will probably be something detrimental about farm subsidies. My reply will be that food doesn't magically appear on the shelves of stores. And so it goes. Got boards? Power? Maybe your aren't from here and haven't had the education about our state that we home growns have had. There's more to it than the Seattle area. If you don't like how things are...go away. This was just a silly, stupid map and now we have to deal with this tired old subject plus a threat of some racism--the Quincy, Ephrata mention. Bah. down.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm 
Wow, some people are really touchy. eek.gif

contour5

contour5
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm 
Quote:
Where in this thread has anybody suggested secdeeing?
Ernest Callenbach's Ecotopia was a utopian/fantasy novel published in 1975. The book is set in 1999 (25 years in the future from 1974) and consists of diary entries and reports of journalist William Weston, who is the first American mainstream media reporter to investigate Ecotopia, a small country that broke away from the USA in 1980. So, yes, just a silly map with an oblique reference to a silly book- no need for retaliatin'.
Quote:
Yakima and Ellensburg will be staging areas and expect to have to deal with earthquake refugees.
Well that is some forward thinking right there! Thanks for extending your kind offer of assistance, should we ever get slammed by that big appocalyptic earthquake that we've so obviously got coming to us as payback for our wicked, wicked ways.
Quote:
If you don't like how things are...go away.
Well, darn it, now I'm confused! Should we paddle on over, or just keep sending money?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
the reservoirs that we have in Lewis County
Lewis county is in Western Washington -- part of Ecotopia -- sorry dude you'll still be swimming in hippies. Both Eastern and Western Washington (and the urban and rural) of the state benefit from each other. Splitting them doesn't make sense -- but once in a while there are proposals from folks in the more rural areas to do so -- there is a sentiment that the urban areas (with all their people / voters) wield too much influence over the state as a whole. Agricultural products are an important part of the WA economy -- heck the Yakima valley grows some 80% of the worlds hops -- where would beer drinkers be without that -- similarly it is hard to imagine what the state economy would look like without the urban contributions of companies like Boeing, Microsoft, Adobe, Paccar, Amazon...

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 4:06 am 
AlpenDave, I grew up in Richmond, IN, on the Ohio border. My dad was a prof. at Earlham. Went to many rock concerts in Dayton's Hara(?) Arena. Saw Lynyrd Skynyrd there. 8 guitars in that hockey arena. The echo is still in my head. Tom

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 7:24 pm 
I'm a raging Liberal in a strongly conservative town (Yakima) and feel the same way about our local government as do most of the residents here feel about state government. Most times a Democrat doesn't even bother to run, and when they do they lose soundly. Still, at this remote distance it pleases me to be part of such a Liberal state - and beautiful too. smile.gif And I read Ecotopia back in '75 - the book had a few good ideas, like concentrating people in cities and reclaiming the outlying areas for nature and agriculture.

mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 8:01 pm 
two proposed flags for Cascadia

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 8:51 pm 
I've heard the lower flag referred to as the Doug flag, as in the well known tree.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 9:04 pm 
kbatku wrote:
I'm a raging Liberal in a strongly conservative town (Yakima) and feel the same way about our local government as do most of the residents here feel about state government. Most times a Democrat doesn't even bother to run, and when they do they lose soundly. Still, at this remote distance it pleases me to be part of such a Liberal state - and beautiful too. smile.gif
Living in SW Washington I feel much the same, though I think it's not quite so bad over here.
kbatku wrote:
And I read Ecotopia back in '75 - the book had a few good ideas, like concentrating people in cities and reclaiming the outlying areas for nature and agriculture.
Sounds like an interesting read, I definitely agree with the idea of stopping the development of rural areas, as well as reclaiming developed land, and concentrating the majority of the population in the cities.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/