Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Nine Nations of North America- A Map
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 9:13 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
and concentrating the majority of the population in the cities.
...with a big fence, kinda like Israel does wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 9:37 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I definitely agree with the idea of stopping the development of rural areas, as well as reclaiming developed land, and concentrating the majority of the population in the cities.
In fact Washington's Growth Management Act Does in fact encourage growth in urban areas and limit development in rural areas. Sometimes to the consternation of rural residents that had been hoping to sub-divided their property. Cedar County

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 10:13 pm 
The NW already has a historical nation which was an actual dream that folks died for in their covered wagons to get to. Oregon Country. The dream came true - how soon we forget... Draw these map lines into your collective brains. It's real with real grave markers upon the trails.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 am 
I don’t understand the desire to concentrate population to the cities and really limit rural development. People often complain about corporate farming and want greater access to local foods- well, I don’t think the overly restrictive regs are helping matters. Washington’s population density is still only about 105/sq mile. Compare to European countries- Germany for example is about 600.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 am 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
I don’t understand the desire to concentrate population to the cities and really limit rural development. People often complain about corporate farming and want greater access to local foods- well, I don’t think the overly restrictive regs are helping matters. Washington’s population density is still only about 105/sq mile. Compare to European countries- Germany for example is about 600.
The Growth Management Act is a response to the rapid development and sprawl that happened in Southern California in the '50s and '60s and was starting to develop in the PNW in the '60s and '70s. For example the Green River Valley between Tukwila and Auburn was once fertile farmland that produced a wealth of crops -- but property tax las at the time required assessing land at "highest and best use" instead of current use -- so in a very short time many square miles of farmland were sold to developers and covered with gravel, asphalt, shopping malls, factories, shipping centers, etc. Public opinion at the time was loath to follow in the footsteps of SOCAL and "Concrete to the Cascades" was a concern seeing what has happened around LA. So the GMA requires each county to come up with a development plan that concentrates development in urban centers and limits development in rural areas -- and also allows land in rural areas to be taxed as rates that allow farming to be possible economically. Urban centered development when done effectively means neighborhoods with decent "walk scores" so that one doesn't need to climb into the car to grab some milk and a loaf of bread. -- the opposite of sub-urban sprawl.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 1:37 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
For example the Green River Valley between Tukwila and Auburn was once fertile farmland that produced a wealth of crops -- but property tax las at the time required assessing land at "highest and best use" instead of current use -- so in a very short time many square miles of farmland were sold to developers and covered with gravel, asphalt, shopping malls, factories, shipping centers, etc. Urban centered development when done effectively means neighborhoods with decent "walk scores" so that one doesn't need to climb into the car to grab some milk and a loaf of bread. -- the opposite of sub-urban sprawl.
Yes, and yes. About Ecotopia, the problem is a perennial one that like-minded populations just can't draw lines around themselves and ignore what everyone else does. Ecotopia is no better a solution to land management issues than the State of Lincoln. The reason I posted that humorous photo about secdeeing [sic] was in this vein, but I think the joke may have been too subtle. Whether it is Ecotopia vs. the Rural West, or the Northeast & Left Coast vs. Everybody In Between, the tax revenue flows from have-more to have-less, but it comes with the burden of some degree of ecological oversight. Urbania is "buying" the right to protect elsewhere what has already been lost closer to home. It may be dysfunctional, but it's the system we've got, and it sort-of works.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 2:15 pm 
From a purely practical perspective, concentrating populations into cities and depopulating rural areas makes some sense. As the population continues to grow, more and more demands are placed on natural resources and more and more food and other resources are required. Building on farmland makes no sense in this scenario. Instead, warehouse all the people in big clusters and use the surrounding land to grow food and manufacture other resources for them. More land available for farming would reduce the need for GMOs and harmful pesticides as well. Now- that's just the ultimately practical perspective, obviously not rooted in reality. Plus, it sounds like hell to me and I live in a city. I'm sure someone who lives in a rural area would like it even less. So the only other solution that offers any chance of preserving rural landscapes and farms is to stop the growth of the population. But that too is problematic on many levels. So, since there are no easy answers going forward I'll look back a little and relate that I can remember when much of Southcenter and Kent in the Green River valley was farmland. Paving over river valley bottoms for warehouses and roads and parking lots and retail outlets really makes very little sense to me, especially if we don't all want to be eating GMO high yield crops grown in a bath of Glyphosate. Shopping malls and warehouses and apartment and office buildings and factories, and every other kind of human structure should be built on marginal lands with low value for food production and fertile lands with good soil and convenient water supplies should be used to grow food or other plants and animals we need. Too bad we as a species are seemingly too shortsighted for such things.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 3:25 pm 
It was interesting to see how cities, towns and farmland were structured when I was bike touring in northern Spain. Even fairly small towns had multi-story apartment buildings and the countryside was very rural. Not a lot of "sub-urban" development -- 1/4-1/2 acre lots with a single house. I think one could live in a small town in Spain without owning a car, that would be much more challenging in a small town in Washington.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 4:21 pm 
Did you get a feel for how large the farms were in Spain? Family farms or large conglomerates? I'm cool with keeping urban urban and rural rural. I guess I would just like to see a greater % of the population involved in agriculture than what we have in the US today.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 4:35 pm 
Quote:
I don’t understand the desire to concentrate population to the cities and really limit rural development. People often complain about corporate farming and want greater access to local foods- well, I don’t think the overly restrictive regs are helping matters.
I sort of agree with these sentiments, in that I'd like to see incentives toward making small-scale sustainable agriculture more feasible. However, what I'm seeing is a trend toward gentrification on the margins of our wild places and preserved areas. Case in point- the massive Trailside development above South Cle Elum. Currently metastasizing in the form of 1200 monster/trophy homes tucked in below Cle Elum ridge. If they are actually lived in, rather than being bought for speculative purposes by foreign investors, they will double or triple the population of Mule Elc nearly overnight. Best case scenario is that they will provide cushy third home getaways for our tech overlords and result in some really nice restaurants east of the crest. But it gives me pause. I still cringe every time I take the turnoff into the Teanaway...

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 5:38 pm 
Ya, I hear what you’re saying. I don’t have a good solution to offer up on this topic- offhand I don’t like the idea of the govt interfering too much and generally think people should be able to live where they want to (Excluding preserves of course). But at the same time some of the suburban sprawl in a place like Colorado is a serious eyesore IMO.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:15 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
offhand I don’t like the idea of the govt interfering too much and generally think people should be able to live where they want to (Excluding preserves of course)
The problem with the idea of being able to do whatever you want on your private property is that much of what you do on your property can have affects on places that aren't your property. I don't think it can be repeated too often that no one and no place exists in a bubble of isolation, where nothing that occurs within the affects that without and vice-versa. Government regulation of private is vital to keeping a balance between the needs and wants of private property owners and other owners of private property, environmental concerns, and the good of society as a whole. When it comes to people being able to live where they want to, that's a nice dream, but the reality is that with an exponentially increasing population we can't all live where we want without destroying aspects of the places we want to live that made us want to live there in the first place!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Dec 01, 2015 10:05 am 
contour5 wrote:
Case in point- the massive Trailside development above South Cle Elum. Currently metastasizing in the form of 1200 monster/trophy homes tucked in below Cle Elum ridge.
The part that fries me is that these homes will be very hard to defend when the fires finally land there. The ridge is long overdue for a conflagration, there is NO appreciable water up there, and all access routes- including to these McMansions- are on extremely steep roads/driveways. It will take a multi agency team to try to get ahead of it and save what they can, it will be extremely dangerous, and the cost to taxpayers will be huge. Meanwhile I predict the overlords of KittCo will have pocketed the developer money and ran oft on any responsibility. Example: Sunlight Waters. "How were we supposed to know there wasn't gonna be enough water for all those houses?" Uh.... well tests then basic math?!? You do have a WHOLE DEPARTMENT called "PLANNING", right? curse.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Lono

Lono
PostTue Dec 01, 2015 12:20 pm 
I can speak only to the Basque Country in Northern Spain - I was surprised to find almost no hilltop development (private estates) allowed in hilly country. The origins of the policy go back most to limitations on water rights and use, and then a basic sense of fairness and equity - no one wants an estate or estates looking down and lording it over the rest of a community, much less surrendering water and water pressure to the overlords. All told the Basques would rather live in towns equitably and grow grapes for their Rioja. The most you might find anywhere near a hilltop is a communally accepted cider house. I think their effort works because they focus on maintaining a sustainable, high quality family-farm dominated agriculture with interspersed development. More than half the countryside is officially forested, and stays that way despite harvests. Devil must be in the details and beyond my view or understanding, but it is sure pleasant enough to visit and to live in. It works for now in this generation, as long as the next generation of farmers doesn't gallivant off to the EU for higher pay or rewards.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Dec 01, 2015 1:07 pm 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
generally think people should be able to live where they want to (Excluding preserves of course).
As long as there is no possible route to bring legal action when it goes wrong. Freedom County Sometimes they are not just trying to steal your land. Tin foil hat political climate contributed mightily to the human suffering of that disaster.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.