Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Nine Nations of North America- A Map
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 3:24 am 
The GMA doesn't just protect farmland and reduce sprawl. One of the law's main intents is to concentrate fabulously expensive infrastructure in hi density/hi intensity areas called Urban Growth Areas. Expanding water, power, roads, police, schools, gas lines, cable, and especially sewer into the rural countryside is inefficient and costs tons of $$$$ someone has to pay. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 7:06 am 
If you want to encourage ghettos in the city, you'd better start lowering housing prices. Not many can or want to afford living in a box amongst other boxes for most of their paycheck a month. Believe me, you don't want a lot of us moving there. We're used to wandering out and running the chainsaw at mid day--I usually wait until 8AM. If a packrat is encountered, we shoot it, our dogs bark, the hood on my pickup might wake you up as it slams shut around 5AM cuz I'm leaving on a trip and am a morning person. Do you really want us there? Plus, when I bring my dogs, trailer, pickups, and other necessities, I'm going to need a big place. Please find me that for $350 a month--not including insurance or property taxes. Where in Seattle can I find a place for that? Be careful when you wish for those ghettos. Didn't Stalin herd people out of the rural areas and into cities by starving them? We did the same to the native peoples in the early days but we called it reservations. Yeah, that really turned out well.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 7:45 am 
New York is far more livable than Los Angeles. The GMAs purpose is to require planned development rather than chaos and "concrete to the cascades" When one compares the Snoqualmie river valley to the Green River valley, The GMA looks like success. There are still farms in the Snoqualmie vs all malls, warehouses and industrial parks in the Green.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostWed Dec 09, 2015 1:50 pm 
So other than a few exceptions, in Oregon you evidently need 80 acres of farmland or 160 acres of "rangeland" to establish a personal residence. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. What it does do is substantially raise the price of pre-existing smaller acreages. I'm familar with a spot near Hermiston with a whole bunch homesites on 2 to 5 acre parcels. It seems that everyone and their dog wants to buy one of these when one comes up for sale. http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/215.780