Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Got Cassettes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 9:56 pm 
Quote:
But it’s not just record stores. Many indie artists have taken to recording their music on cassettes, partly because the means of production can be cheaper and quicker than producing CDs or vinyl records; many vinyl manufacturers, for instance, are notoriously backlogged. Some artist-run record labels, meanwhile, have elected to provide their music solely in cassette form.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 10:24 pm 
Remember that Maxell poster?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 27, 2015 11:40 pm 
I threw away boxes full of cassettes a few years back. Remember "bleed through"? Sound ghosting through due to the layers of tape bleeding through residual magnetism in storage?

friluftsliv
contour5

contour5
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 12:10 am 
I have several cartons of old mix tapes. I spent about ten years reducing more than 4000 blues albums down to about 200 tapes. Then another ten years mixing 3000 reggae albums down to a couple hundred more tapes. Then the punk and the rockabilly and the lounge jazz and the weird stuff. Finally sold off the last of the vinyl about 15 years ago, except for a couple boxes of jazz 78s. The tapes still play fine, and rotate in and out of my car, which also features a broken CD player. Lost about 200,000 mp3s in a disastrous multiple drive failure a few years ago. After a brief period of anguish, I just switched over to listening to music on YouTube. Some of my tapes are 30 years old and still work perfectly. As long as you avoid dust, direct sunlight, prolonged exposure to high heat and moisture, they hold up fine. Avoid 120 minute blanks...60s and 90s are far more durable.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 1:05 am 
Hard to believe that tapes are actually cheaper to produce in quantity than CDs nowadays given that CDs get cranked out by the millions still but tape production is a niche thing.

whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 11:26 am 
Cassettes are trendy again? I guess the next fad will be Edison-style wax cylinders! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph_cylinder

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 12:07 pm 
whitebark wrote:
Cassettes are trendy again? I guess the next fad will be Edison-style wax cylinders! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph_cylinder
Naw, we haven't gone through the Reel to Reel audiophile tape thing yet. Who had one or more of those? wave.gif Took me a long time to justify the hit in quality dropping to the skinny cassette tapes. agree.gif

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 8:03 pm 
Heck now everything is digital. I still usually buy the CD but also download or rip the MP3 and just use that in my iPhone... Amazon gives you both. I can't imagine anything going back to cassettes. It would have to be transferred to something usable anyway. I'm surely not going to put a cassette player in my car.. lol...

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 10:35 pm 
I still have my Sony Professional Recording Walkman. Works great and made many audition tapes for myself and students. Now I have to use Garage Band which works much better for sound and editing but isn't nearly as portable.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
contour5

contour5
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 12:00 am 
I actually prefer analogue audio in terms of sound quality. Analogue just sounds warmer and fuller; with more "live" presence, when compared to the cold lifeless vacuum of digital sound. Vinyl had a wider bandwidth than most of the current digital formats, which use all sorts of compression that tend to deaden the sound. Digital has sharp, tinny highs and a FLAT bass response that hits a brick wall around 20khz. Analogue recordings sound more real, with a huge, punchy bottom end that MP3s will never have, and most CDs are incapable of reproducing. Ripping vinyl to tape (when done properly) produces sound quality which far exceeds that found in any bitrate mp3s and nearly all CDs. A good metal or chrome tape on a medium to high end tape deck with proper calibration and bias mode will wipe the floor compared to anything digital has to offer. Of course cassettes can't compare to an overclocked reel-to-reel running 1 inch tape at 45 inches per second through a good pair of studio-grade monitors. Besides, in the end, it's all just noise that we use to distract ourselves from our own thoughts. Give me the whispering breeze, birdsong or the sound of a rushing creek any day.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 1:54 pm 
Not a lot of debate that analog sounds better, but it sure isn't as convenient. Now all I have to have is my phone and I can have 10,000+ songs locally on my phone at my fingertips, even more if you account for streaming services.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 3:28 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Not a lot of debate that analog sounds better, but it sure isn't as convenient. Now all I have to have is my phone and I can have 10,000+ songs locally on my phone at my fingertips, even more if you account for streaming services.
My 10 feet or so of vintage Jazz/classical/rock vinyl albums probably have about that many songs. Plus the player....plus the amp.... OK, not quite as convenient as an MP3 player. At least my hearing is getting so bad so that the lifeless compression of digital format doesn't grate on my nerves as much as it used to. agree.gif

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 6:15 pm 
A friend of mine finally has enough $$$ to afford those $20k speakers + kit. Problem is he only has 5k ears anymore. smile.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
You skate or ski, if so you might want these for your Sony Sports Walkman: DRI (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) 20 bucks for 4.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 14, 2017 2:41 pm 
I'm still making and using mix tapes. They can be abused a little more knocking around in the rig and no one wants to steal them or the tape deck. Pioneer still makes pretty decent auto reverse car decks, available at Crutchfields for $100. I find that the compressed dynamic range compared to digital is an advantage on the road. With CD's in, if it's loud enough to hear the faint bits over road noise, the loud bits are too loud, and vice versa. This problem is much less evident with cassettes. Plus, there's an entire universe of songs out there on youtube, in stereo. They didn't plan on some knuckledragger feeding audio out... into a nice Nakamichi cassette deck.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers