Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Linux OS, software, questions - refined.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 1:25 pm 
My 6+ year old 'puter is getting clunky - drivers getting sketchy, or maybe worse, concerns about the motherboard. I'd just go get a new machine, but am still slogging along with ancient software that powers my business, (Adobe InDesign 2.0, MS Office 2000, etc.), and my understanding is that none of it will run on a new 64-bit computer. I am very non-tech-savvy. (Desktop computer, no cell phone, still listening to CD's and watching DVD's.) I had to make Windows 7 look like '95 to be able to get any work accomplished, so I am assuming Windows 10 would not be my friend. So the question: If I do have to make a huge, money-labor-learning curve switch soon, should I get a new machine and make a leap to Linux, OpenOffice, Scribus, etc. that I've been reading about? Suggestions?

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 2:05 pm 
My computer is probably older than yours and still runs current apps just fine. Open Office at least is pretty similar to what you are used too in Office 2000. InDesign CS2 is a free download. They all run fine on a 64bit OS in my case win7x64. They just install to the x86 folder rather than the 64bit. I think it depends on your existing hardware whether or not it's worthwhile to get a new computer. Maybe a new SSD and more RAM is all you need. Even if your hdwr is 32bit you still should be fine.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 5:38 pm 
Linux is much easier to administer now than back in the days when you needed to rebuild the kernel for your machine. But is not for non-nerds. If you ate going to invest that much time and effort, why not learn HTML5+Typescript and pickup some contract work and earn some extra dough?

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 8:06 pm 
IanB wrote:
I am very non-tech-savvy.
Then the last OS you want to be trying to use/figure out is Linux. We use it at work to run applications but I don't use it on any of my own machines. Very old world dos like. If you aren't the tekkie type IMHO you won't have a lot of fun with it. I am somewhat of a tekkie and I don't particularly enjoy it... I know other anti-microsoft tekkie types that swear by it...

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSat Nov 28, 2015 11:25 pm 
Lurves me the Linux/FreeBSD-ses! BUT... sadly, you've got to make do with something like Gimp on *nix as Photoshop doesn't run on it. And I can tell you Gimp doesn't have the omph Photoshop has, and that's one major thing holding me back from ditching Windows entirely at home. And honestly: If you had trouble with the leap from XP to 7, I'm telling you now it's NOTHING compared to going from Windows to Linux. It can be done but that's a steep learning curve.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 12:32 am 
Linux is great if you are in the academic or industry mode. It is not well suited for ordinary use such as web browsing or word processing, although it can do both well. I mostly use OS 10 but that is because I am lazy now..

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 6:27 am 
My last employer switched me over from the IBM mainframe to a UNIX work station(running Solaris) 15 years before they force retired me. The transition was a little awkward at first but the more I used it the more I started saying to myself “my god, the folks who wrote this may have been smoking weed but they were all geniuses”. Linux is nothing but a PC version of UNIX.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 9:40 am 
as mentioned above linux has a rather steep learning curve. the later versions are somewhat similar to windows but there is no quick install feature you would need to build/compile most programs in order to run...not a non tekkie software...6 yr old pc is not bad,,,if your are worried and are not internet intensive why not just find a newer faster used machine running something like vista that has a faster cpu and more memory.....

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 11:02 am 
New PCs w/ Windows seem dirt cheap. Not sure a liinux machine would save you that much money. Can't you run OpenOffice, Scribus, etc. on Windows? I recall trying OpenOffice a while back on a Windows PC that didn't have MS Office and it seemed to work just fine without a hefty learning curve.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 11:08 am 
Wow - Thank you all for the helpful replies! borank.gif (Though even some of what I'm reading is above my pay grade.)
mike wrote:
They all run fine on a 64bit OS in my case win7x64. They just install to the x86 folder rather than the 64bit.
If this is true, my problem can be kicked down the road for at least a few more years. My local tech store has a refurbished Windows 7 64-bit machine right now for $500. But they had told me the 32-bit software wouldn't work on it? confused.gif (I don't even really know what the difference means, only that I was told they are incompatible.) But if that doesn't pan out, maybe you'll all indulge me in refining my question... I'm self-employed and work outdoors. All I need, or want, my computer to be is a desktop with icons. (Like Windows 95.) If my old computer is dying and I need to get a new one, what OS out there can have all the whiz-bang stripped away so that it looks the way things used to 20 years ago? Concerning the software: I think I am understanding correctly that OpenOffice will be able to read Word and Excel files. About desktop publishing, I don't have a license for InDesign 2.0, just a very old hand-me-down disc, so it seems that I can't download CS2. (But thanks for the idea.) It appears that I'll just have to re-create business cards and invoices in Scribus. (Hopefully not more than a rainy day's work there.) However, a monumental loss would be my TOPO! file. I have nearly every path I've walked in 20 years saved there, along with extensive annotation of place names etc. It is my personal, ultimate USGS 7.5' map - the only kind of map my brain knows how to read. Is there any way that this information can be saved!? Even if Mike's suggestion works, I'm still going to have to face this issue someday and want to get a handle on my options.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 11:41 am 
IanB wrote:
My local tech store has a refurbished Windows 7 64-bit machine right now for $500.
Seems overpriced.
IanB wrote:
But they had told me the 32-bit software wouldn't work on it?
They don't know what they are talking about then.
IanB wrote:
However, a monumental loss would be my TOPO! file. I have nearly every path I've walked in 20 years saved there, along with extensive annotation of place names etc. It is my personal, ultimate USGS 7.5' map - the only kind of map my brain knows how to read. Is there any way that this information can be saved!?
I'm pretty sure Topo! Has an export to GPX feature. USB keys with 8gb capacity or more are dirt cheap.

mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 11:41 am 
IanB wrote:
All I need, or want, my computer to be is a desktop with icons.
sounds like Win7 ...
Quote:
they had told me the 32-bit software wouldn't work on it?
BS
Quote:
OpenOffice will be able to read Word and Excel files.
yup
Quote:
I don't have a license for InDesign 2.0, just a very old hand-me-down disc, so it seems that I can't download CS2.
Give it a try. Serial# (1037-1412-5094-8316-6812-7982) and link is provided by Adobe. Ignore the offer to sign up.
Quote:
However, a monumental loss would be my TOPO! file.
BACK IT UP! Just get a thumb drive and copy the file/s. Or copy the whole folder.

mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 12:37 pm 
Hesman wrote:
that there is third party software out there that you can install on a 64 bit computer that allows some 32 bit software run on a 64 bit computer.
Not needed. At least for software the OP is using. Maybe a new Win OS but not for Win7x32/x64. Really old software <XP may need the emulator that comes with Win7 pro. But this is only needed if, e.g. commercial software that works and would cost a bunch to upgrade mucho terminals etc. The choke point is most likely hardware minimum requirements. If you stick with software from the same vintage as your hardware you're good.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
IanB wrote:
My local tech store has a refurbished Windows 7 64-bit machine right now for $500.
Seems overpriced.
IanB wrote:
But they had told me the 32-bit software wouldn't work on it?
They don't know what they are talking about then.
IanB wrote:
However, a monumental loss would be my TOPO! file. I have nearly every path I've walked in 20 years saved there, along with extensive annotation of place names etc. It is my personal, ultimate USGS 7.5' map - the only kind of map my brain knows how to read. Is there any way that this information can be saved!?
I'm pretty sure Topo! Has an export to GPX feature. USB keys with 8gb capacity or more are dirt cheap.
I agree with everything above. $500 for an old Win7 machine? Are they kidding? I recently dumped one and was lucky it didn't cost me to get rid of it. We just bought my wife a new laptop that has shockingly good specs, including i5 processor, 8GB memory and 1TB hard drive for about $500, to replace her 9 year old lap top that I have refurbished to the point of even replacing the keyboard, as she dreaded switching from Win7 to Win10. I am laid up at the moment and borrowed here computer a couple times, and when she told it me it was normal to wait 10 minutes for it to boot up enough to do anything, and once up it ran like a 2 legged dog, I pushed her in to getting an update that should last another 9 years or so. I haven't had any issues with running software after my upgrade to 64bit and win10. I have Topo! running just fine. There is a free update you might have to track down to get it to work though, if you haven't already done it. Might be hard to find now. You should definitely be saving your files to GPX format as an additional insurance though. Its never good to lock critical files into a proprietary format only, if you have a choice. And if you aren't backing up your computer data already, you are really courting disaster. And be sure to note that "backing up" means having 2 copies not on the same hardware. My wife just lost a bunch of movie and tv downloads on an external drive that crapped out. She gave me a bewildered look when I said to simply buy a new external drive and load them back up from the originals. She then informed me the originals were on the "back up drive". A short lecture on the meaning of "backup" ensued. rolleyes.gif She previously lost a bunch of photos because of having no backup. For some reason she had figured having them all on the external, and only there, was sufficient to prevent that previous disaster. When someone says they are not computer/tech savvy, listen to them, explain fully and keep it simple. agree.gif

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 2:00 pm 
Most 32 bit software seems to work OK on Windows 7,8,10 or whatever. There are as few things that won't. You don't really have to anything. Just install them (they install as 32 bit apps in the Program Files (x86) folder instead of the Program Files folder. In fact I notice a lot more stuff installed in the (X86) folder (32 bit apps).