Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Linux OS, software, questions - refined.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 2:47 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 5:55 pm 
boot up wrote:
$500 for an old Win7 machine? Are they kidding?
Maybe, maybe not. OS doesn't really determine anything. At $500 it could be a screamin' machine. It's in the details.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 6:29 pm 
mike wrote:
boot up wrote:
$500 for an old Win7 machine? Are they kidding?
Maybe, maybe not. OS doesn't really determine anything. At $500 it could be a screamin' machine. It's in the details.
An old used computer for $500 with Windows 7??!? It'd better be like something special. Would have to see the spec for sure. I'd be real cautious. Now for $100 or something I could maybe see a used one. Still though you can get new laptops for $200 or so that will do what most people need. Disposable for sure but alas.. I have all kinds of used computers that are basically boat anchors/have no real value. At the time they were state of the art... Just the way it is.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 6:35 pm 
mike wrote:
Possible, but unlikely-- the OP post was:
Quote:
My local tech store has a refurbished Windows 7 64-bit machine right now for $500
I agree that Win7/8/10 will have little bearing on the value of a machine, at a $500 price point I would expect a refurbished machine to have a Quad-core-I7 processor, 16GB of memory, etc. Nothing in the OP post makes me think that the OP is planning on doing anything that would benefit from that level of processing power. To me it smells of either a very overpriced machine or to use a used-car analogy of a guy going into a dealership looking for a "Civic or Corolla" and driving off in a 4WD, Quad-Cab, Diesel powered 3/4 ton pickup truck. He might even be getting a great price for that truck -- but it's a lot more than he needed to spend for his needs.

mike

mike
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 7:56 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
-- but it's a lot more than he needed to spend for his needs.
agree

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 10:50 am 
Wow, again! You've all been so helpful! I had a chance to talk to my personal geek friend yesterday and I think his advice for first steps was most similar to this from Hesman:
Quote:
For what its worth: what about backing up all your software and files and then doing a clean install of a newer operating system and upgrading some hardware, like RAM, before investing $ on a new computer? A newer OS would probably have updated drivers and the like. Just my 2 cents.
The software is all on the original CD's and I do make periodic backups of the files on to thumb drives - though probably not as often as I should, and will be doing so today. Then he said to go ahead and do the free Windows 10 installation. He felt confident that 10 would include the compatibility to run the old software, and would quite possibly solve the funky driver issues as well. (And that it is just going to be a fact of life that I'll have to get used to the new look of the desktop environment.) But he also felt that old 'puter may just be reaching the end of it's lifespan, and in concurrence with many of your responses, also agreed that just buying a new computer would not, most likely, cause any difficulty in continuing to run the old programs. And that this whole thing that has freaked me out, might have simply been a red herring caused by bad advice from the tech store. If that's the case, I'm really sorry for having taken up so much of all your' time - but thank you, thank you, anyway!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:15 am 
IanB wrote:
If that's the case, I'm really sorry for having taken up so much of all your' time - but thank you, thank you, anyway!
are you kidding? people live for this kind of thread. agree.gif

friluftsliv