Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic Mtns photo question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crock

crock
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 2:57 am 
Anyone know where this 41 year old photo is taken? I suspect it's either near Kimta Pk, or Anderson Pass in the southern part of Olympic National Park.
img305
1 label
img305

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 7:37 am 
The photo was most likely taken looking west from a point on the Skyline ridge in Olympic National Park in the general vicinity of Kimta Peak. The profile of the northern (right) half of the background ridge in the photograph corresponds to a section of the ridgeline that is west of the Queets River and south of the Valhallas and that includes Pelton Peak. Compare the ridge profile to the right of the setting sun in your photo to the ridgeline visible in the first 30 seconds of this 07-13-2015 Paradise Fire helicopter recon video, which was taken looking west toward Pelton Peak from a point perhaps 4000 feet above and to the east of the Queets River, more or less on a line between Kimta Peak and Pelton Peak.

Distel32

Distel32
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 8:25 am 
Nice one, AA. I would gander it is a bit southwest of Kimta on Skyline. Below is a picture from the west summit of Kimta I took in June. Seems a bit higher (no trees in foreground like OP's photo) and from a bit more easterly aspect. Pelton and area peaks match up very well, though.

crock

crock
PostSun Nov 29, 2015 11:55 am 
Thank you Ancient Ambler and Distel32 - that seems to be correct. Between the video, zooming in on Distel32 picture, and using Google Earth, it looks like my picture was taken looking NW from about 2 miles SSW of Kimta Pk on the ridge between South Fork Kimta Creek and Alta Creek. I'm always amazed at how quickly this forum can zero in on a picture location! Thanks again.

RangerSciacca

RangerSciacca
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:41 pm 
Seems like you already solved this one, but I saw it and realized I have a photo from almost the exact spot, so thought I'd pass it on. Maybe this will help pinpoint it! We hiked the skyline trail exactly 15 minutes south of here:
View larger size in new window and then took this shot, where the ridgeline looks almost identical!