Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > $240 traffic camera ticket for driving 27 mph.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 09, 2015 10:32 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
How long does it take for the ticket to arrive? I'll post here again if I get one. I had just entered the intersection, my rear bumper might even have still been in the crosswalk when it turned yellow and I saw the flash just as the front of my car reached the crosswalk across the street I was turning onto.
You won't get a ticket. The camera has to show you ran the red light (meaning no part of your vehicle was in the intersection when it turned red and then you continued thru). This is why some red light cameras have a short yellow to generate more revenue improve safety. wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 12:39 pm 
Bellingham does not halve red light cameras. Citizens fought and won to keep them out. People run red lights here constantly. Some intersections you can count on 3 to 4 cars after the lights change. It's definitely dangerous. Just saying..

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 12:56 pm 
3-4 cars? I can see that perhaps during congested traffic where cars are in the intersection when the light turns red. That is not necessarily as dangerous and it is not considered running a red light. If there are 3-4 cars actually running the red during normal traffic then it's pretty clear that the yellow is too short.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm 
No, it's intersections with heavy traffic and long lights and people making to decision to run it rather than wait out another cycle. There is also an off ramp intersection where cars on the main road frequently do what bedivere did and enter the intersection when they cannot completely clear it, and the lights change and then the off ramp traffic is blocked causing the off ramp to back up onto I 5.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 1:15 pm 
Go west on 50th from Wallingford until you get to the freeway just before entering the U district. Get in the left turn lane to enter the freeway northbound. Wait for the light to turn "green arrow", then wait for the three or four cars that continue across your path, from those exiting the freeway to get to Wallingford. None of them were simply stuck in the intersection. The yellow light for them is quite long, I know from experience. They just run the light because they are impatient and uncaring about laws or other people. Being "stuck" in an intersection is a ticket-able offense anyway, you are prohibited from entering an intersection until you can clear the other side, no exceptions. "No driver shall enter an intersection or a marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk, or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle he or she is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians, or railroad trains notwithstanding any traffic control signal indications to proceed." So easy to know the actual laws.... http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61&full=true

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 1:34 pm 
Yep. I already posted the law.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 1:50 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Being "stuck" in an intersection is a ticket-able offense anyway, you are prohibited from entering an intersection until you can clear the other side, no exceptions.
"No exceptions" isn't accurate. Lots of exceptions is closer to the truth. I see at least half a dozen drivers do this every day in the course of my commute. In all the years this has been going on I've never seen anyone ticketed for it. I'm sure it's happened. But people do this because they know they'll get away with it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 2:08 pm 
I am equally annoyed by cutters. In the context of causing accidents it's not the same. I'll take a cutter any day vs. someone running a red in normal traffic. My point was that if vehicles are consistently running a red in normal traffic the yellow is probably too short. As far as the law, I don't believe running a red is considered the same as entering when green or yellow and not clearing the intersection, but it wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostThu Dec 10, 2015 2:38 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Slugman wrote:
Being "stuck" in an intersection is a ticket-able offense anyway, you are prohibited from entering an intersection until you can clear the other side, no exceptions.
"No exceptions" isn't accurate. Lots of exceptions is closer to the truth. I see at least half a dozen drivers do this every day in the course of my commute. In all the years this has been going on I've never seen anyone ticketed for it. I'm sure it's happened. But people do this because they know they'll get away with it.
Just because people are not routinely ticketed doesn't make it not a law or an excuse for being in the intersection when the light is red

touron

touron
PostSat Dec 19, 2015 10:12 am 
touron wrote:
uhh.gif Why can't they have green light cameras and then give out rewards to those who successfully navigate a green light. I've seen cars go through Bellevue intersections with it looking like the paparazzi was chasing them. lol.gif
Hmmm....$100 given out to motorists biggrin.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
contour5

contour5
PostSat Dec 19, 2015 1:05 pm 
"Blocking the box" is a fairly routine phenomena in downtown Seattle:
The city periodically threatens to crack down and start issuing piles of $136 tickets A little while back I was waiting at a red light and a car passed me on the right, driving on the sidewalk. Whipped a tire-squealing right turn and disappeared.

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Dec 22, 2015 3:41 pm 
Hey, at least the violator isn't making a bunch of excuses...

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 pm 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
You aren't suppose to enter the intersection unless there is space to clear it. People who stop in intersections and block traffic suck.
Yes, they do. But in places like the galactically screwed up Mercer corridor, if you don't roll into the intersection, people coming from side streets will right-on-red into it and you never move. Ever. The bottom line is that the King Country Growth Management Act has failed. There is too much development being allowed and not enough traffic mitigation. Big surprise, as the developers practically wrote the thing for the county. The same thing is happening in Issaquah, where the idiots running the city stood up in a meeting and literally thanked the developers for "educating" them on how to write the "Central Issaquah Plan" which, among other idiocy, calls for 0.9 parking spots per residential unit while including zero plans for additional roads/car capacity and zero plans to increase school capacity and zero plans for green space/parks. The first development in this new 'plan' is being build now: 400+ units on Gilman where Lombardi's used to be. It was given a rating of "non-impact" on traffic, so they are doing zero, nada to the roads to handle the additional cars. Just complete effing lunacy.

If not now, when?
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Dec 22, 2015 8:51 pm 
People have to live somewhere...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 22, 2015 9:36 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
idiots running the city
Unfortunately just re-elected. frown.gif
Quote:
People have to live somewhere...
Which is why it's important to reflect the mitigation costs in the development costs.