Forum Index > Photography Talk > Why 4K?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wawhiker

Wawhiker
PostSun Dec 06, 2015 9:26 pm 
No endorsement (on my part) - just some incredible 4K video...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 pm 
Someday.... That 4K is 4096×2160 pixels, my computer screen is 1440x900...

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 8:57 am 
That is some beautiful footage. I love the drone viewpoint. Thanks for sharing.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am 
to mean anything, don't you need to compare the same scenes taken in "standard" HD? How much is 4k versus how much is the setting and optics?

friluftsliv
mike

mike
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 11:03 am 
Are 4K TV's worth it yet? Only used for watching movies so thought that the upscale algorithm might be worth it.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 11:21 am 
I'd love both shoot and watch 4k, it really is noticeably better than 1080p. Unfortunately not only are the cameras and screens still really pricey, but editing video at that resolution is a pain in the neck. Also, my impression is that unless you're shooting it yourself it's not that easy to find 4k media. All things considered, I think 4k is on the cusp of becoming the mainstream standard, but that it has a few years to go before it becomes truly affordable and practical. One thing I have noticed is that 4k video looks better than 1080p even when viewed at lower resolutions than 4k. Is this just because the down-scaling results in better image quality than native 1080p video? Perhaps because some of the greater detail of 4k is preserved in the down-scaling process?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 12:15 pm 
Things are changing quickly now. I bought an 8 megapixel Canon s95 back in 2011 and still use it regularly. I never really made any large prints from the camera and always felt 8 megapixel was plenty. Now I have a computer with a 4k screen and if I do any sort of cropping on the photos in Lightroom I don't have enough pixels to fill the screen!

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 3:17 pm 
Editing 4K in 1080 leaves lots of options for positioning or zooming, plus stabilization. I've shot a lot if it this year with nice results.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Dec 12, 2015 10:21 pm 
mike wrote:
Are 4K TV's worth it yet? Only used for watching movies so thought that the upscale algorithm might be worth it.
I think so, although most 4K is "4K demo" type video. More action and or mainstream video will come. 4K TVs have come down in price greatly from last Christmas season. Don't bother with the curved sets though, a large flat screen is quite viewable in tv room, so not with the extra $ in my opinion.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
touron

touron
PostSun Dec 13, 2015 6:25 pm 
2k 4k 8k a dollar all for 16k stand up and holler!

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 7:45 pm 
mike wrote:
4K TV's are a worthless upgrade for 95% of people. Why? You need to be sitting about 3 or 4 feet from your 40"-60" TV to see the difference. TV's have changed over the years. How people view TV has stayed the same. Most people place the TV on one side of the room while they sit on the other--usually 12-20 feet away. At this distance, the human eye can not detect the difference between 1080P and 4K TV's. Sure, 4K TV's look better in the store because you are standing right in front of them. Are you really going to watch your TV that way at home? Just to clarify, I said 4K TV's are a worthless upgrade--not 4K projectors. If you have a 100 inch projector TV, you could see the difference. However, 95% of people have 40-60 inch TV's--not projectors. In that size range, the difference between 1080P and 4K is not noticeable from across the room. 4K TV's are just a gimmick developed by TV manufacturers to get you to replace your perfectly good TV that you purchased only three or four years ago. Save your money for some new hiking boots smile.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 8:44 pm 
4K won't be worth the investment until there's a viable, affordable 4k media to supplant Bluray with. Also, the way ISPs are treating video streaming (Netflix) and punishing their users with unwieldy and unnecessary data caps is going to limit high res video to disc rather than streaming - I'm not even sure there's a viable compression algorithm that can handle that amount of data in a feasible way yet. Even then, I doubt it'll be nearly as impactful of a difference as DVD to Bluray was. I certainly don't feel any pressured need to upgrade or convert. VR is going to make a much bigger difference in the living room entertainment spectrum than 4k will. And 4k VR headsets are a looooong way off.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 pm 
I do those 100-200" theaters, and yes, the more you spread out pixels, the more apparent the gaps in between become. Resolution is resolution, and more is always better. 4K adds more depth of field than 1080P, even on smaller sets. Is it the best value right now, no, not by a long shot. The price can still drop by at least 50%, and native content is extremely limited. New technology should be a couple of years away, when that happens 4K will be commonplace, every panel maker will be in the program, and sets will become affordable..

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 12, 2016 6:55 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
4K won't be worth the investment until there's a viable, affordable 4k media to supplant Bluray with
I think Blu-Ray is the end point for "disc" type formats. Streaming has already supplanted physical "disc" formats. Amazon is already streaming 4K. http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/09/amazon-prime-instant-video-4k/ The Superbowl in 4K will be an important marker.

mike

mike
PostSat Mar 12, 2016 8:25 pm 
I'd have trouble with streaming 1080 frown.gif We're pretty much stuck with NF disks. We don't have a dish or watch TV. We have an old CRT HD TV which has a perfectly good 1080i picture and a better viewing angle than some flat screen TV's at friend's houses. So what I was really wondering is if and when we do get a new TV does it make sense to get the 4k? My thought is that the up-rez algorithm would improve the picture of normal DVD or BD disks. Screen size is 42" viewed at ~8-10'. And sometime in the future I might even be able to get native 4k content so want to future-proof.