Forum Index > Photography Talk > Why 4K?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Mar 13, 2016 12:27 am 
The elephant in the room is compression. Just like a huge megapixel jpeg looks crappy when saved at a high compression factor, how video looks depends as much on the compression as on how many theoretical pixels there are. You'll probably never actually see 4k uncompressed commercial video.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Mar 13, 2016 8:04 am 
I'd love to have a 4K TV right now, but will be getting one in the next few years when prices come down. My main reason will be to watch my own slide shows. I've got my computer hooked up to my TV and it looks great now in 1080p, but will be incredible in 4K. Only problem is that I've cropped the pictures I save for slide shows to the size of my 30" computer screen to save space (I can still do some Ken Burns effect in 1080). I'm just now realizing I should start saving them much bigger. Native res. will be 3840 X 2160, so to do KB you'll need some headroom over that ~ 7000 x 4000 - glad I have a high res. camera!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Mar 13, 2016 12:55 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Sore Feet wrote:
4K won't be worth the investment until there's a viable, affordable 4k media to supplant Bluray with
I think Blu-Ray is the end point for "disc" type formats. Streaming has already supplanted physical "disc" formats. Amazon is already streaming 4K. http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/09/amazon-prime-instant-video-4k/ The Superbowl in 4K will be an important marker.
I would agree with you in theory except for two things: 1) The Motion Picture Association of America (essentially Hollywood's lobbying arm) has continually fought against new technology because they love the predictability and control of physical media sales and the DRM measures that comes with them. Switching to an entirely streaming distribution method will necessitate a change of business model for an entire industry, it's not something that will be taken lightly. 2) The largest ISPs in the US (Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon, Charter, etc) are actively making pushes to acquire Media outlets like TV stations or websites or movie studios, if they don't already own it. Comcast owns NBC/Universal and all its subsidiaries, Verizon owns AOL and has expressed interest in buying Yahoo and Dish Network, etc. Then they toss up an absurdly small data cap on your wired internet connection and tell you that watching 4K will count against your data cap (and one movie would burn through a 4gb cap in two hours, such as Comcast currently implements in places, in entirety) unless you watch it through *their* streaming app or set top box or something like that - which will of course feed you ads, and gather metrics, and ensure you stay subscribed to their ridiculously overpriced service. Not to hijack the discussion, but this is why Net Neutrality is so important, because this sort of behavior WILL become prevalent in the future if it isn't squashed now.