Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Pass State Park 12/7/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostMon Dec 07, 2015 10:33 pm 
Today’s mountain forecast called for pouring rain and just-above-freezing temps. In addition, NWAC was showing considerable to high avalanche danger, which gave me a great excuse to stick to sea level and head to Deception Pass State Park. I did the route shown here. Even on an overcast day, the park is super scenic. The trails itself are in good shape. Not too muddy, although heavy rain over the next couple days will likely fix that. I ran into approximately half-dozen blow-downs; none were impassable. I've included a pic below of the worst one we encountered (we managed to get by just fine, even with the leash) That said, it was a very busy day at NAS Whidbey Island, and fighter jets were flying over every 10-30 minutes (not an exaggeration). I don’t think this is the norm, though, because I’ve been to Deception Pass State Park many times before and have never heard/seen so much air traffic. Last but not least, I somehow managed to escape the rain. I’m not really sure how that happened, as I hear it was pouring rain in Seattle all morning. But up at Deception Pass, it stayed dry until noon. Hooray! A few more details and pics here: http://evergreenendurance.com/2015/12/07/deception-pass-25k-course/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 12:03 pm 
"I somehow managed to escape the rain. I’m not really sure how that happened, as I hear it was pouring rain in Seattle all morning. But up at Deception Pass, it stayed dry until noon. Hooray!" Jessica, on an annual basis the north end of Whidbey/Fidalgo is dryer than north or south of there due to the Olympic rainshadow. The south end of Whidbey around Clinton and Greenbank and surroundings is statistically wetter than the north end due to the Puget Sound Convergent Zone. So you were experiencing just what the stats would suggest. "Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get." Nice that the weather you had that day coincided with climate. smile.gif As all of us know, it doesn't always work out that way!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
jdk610

jdk610
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm 
Cool, I knew about the rain shadow but didn't realize it extended quite that far northeast!