Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hiking with dog query
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostTue Dec 15, 2015 7:31 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
How do you keep a young dog from jumping when that's what they do?
Stick to softer bootpaths and avoid terrain where the pup might jump onto hard surfaces. The concern is more about the landing surface than the actual jumping action.
treeswarper wrote:
Or tearing at high speed through the woods?
As long as the pup comes back, great wink.gif I had to leash up my little guy on the way down because he knew only 1 speed--hyperdrive! He's getting better now at 10 months, but his recall is, unfortunately, getting worse. If she is already 1 and doing well, I don't think there are too many issues to worry about.

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Dec 15, 2015 10:23 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I got a little mutt, to try to avoid all that. How do you keep a young dog from jumping when that's what they do? Or tearing at high speed through the woods? That's what they do. The Slightly Used Dog is a high energy pup and needs to blow it off. She bounds like a deer and launches over blowdowns with no hesitation. It's part of being a dog. I guess we'll see how long she lasts.
Some people actually train the dog. That's what you can do. Obviously a foreign concept for you. Act like pack master instead of not giving the dog any direction. That would be the responsible thing to do. But what the heck, as you say, its only a mutt, so who cares how long it lives. Not sure it applies in your case, but I have learned to not take dog advice from people that have had "lots of dogs" in their lives...... Which implies their care of the dog does not result in a long life for their dogs. But its only a mutt....

friluftsliv
LizzyRN

LizzyRN
PostWed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 am 
Along with monitoring exercise, soft surfaces, minimizing jolts and limiting distance, it is also important to NOT put a loaded backpack on the pups. I have German Shepherds; our breeder was adamant about short distances of the first 18 months. Pups will willingly follow, but it's up to us to be a leader. Our dogs take fish oil and glucosamine as preventative medicine. My almost 14 yo Lab has had hip issues most of her life. Fetch, Frisbee and jumping certainly contributed to that. She is content to sleep and eat nowadays. Studies also show that testosterone is very important during growth. Although it is strongly encouraged to prevent unwanted pregnancies, Neutering too early can result in rapid growth of the long bones, increasing the risk of joint issues. Part of our contract is waiting until 2-2.5 years before neutering. Our vet agreed. My GSD Ruger is almost 2.5. He is getting a bit feisty, perhaps his time is coming for a little snip snip.

LizzyRN Where's my inhaler?!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 16, 2015 6:55 am 
So, you don't let your dog run until 2 years old? How much stuff gets chewed up? Exercise is important. My mutt has a lot of bird dog in her and must be exercised in order to be "trained". No, I'm not a dog trainer. I grew up with dogs, and have had them all my life. Our dog we had when we were kids ran around E. Wenatchee. Dogs could do that then, because there weren't so many people and the people weren't afraid of dog poop and drove slower. When we moved out to the sticks, our beagle was out all day chasing rabbits. That's what he was made to do. How happy is a dog that can't do what they were bred to do? How the heck could I stop my little fru fru from running? That's what she was made to do, or part of her. Oh, and she comes back when called so that's not a problem. My idea was to get a smaller dog this time. I'm hoping she won't get arthritis at age 7 and will be sound longer than the retrievers I've had. This little beast may be the smartest dog I've had. I'll see if she can hand me rolls of electrical tape and tools like my Golden did. Nope, I'm not a dog trainer. I mind meld with them, keep them with me when possible and we both learn how to read each other that way. A dog's got to be a dog.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities