Forum Index > Photography Talk > aluminum/metal prints
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
capbiker

capbiker
PostSun Dec 13, 2015 7:31 pm 
Anyone have experience with this technique? Recommendations for labs who do it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lanzscape

lanzscape
PostWed Dec 16, 2015 4:18 pm 
Like prints on canvas wrapped around an internal frame, metal prints can be hung without framing. Typically, they have a hanging plate or block on the back which moves the print an inch or so off the wall. They tend to run a bit more $ than canvas. Canvas is more "painterly" because the print has a texture. Metal prints are sharper and more vibrant. Metal looks more contemporary than canvas and especially more than traditional framing. Metal is also fine for places like bathrooms than may have high humidity. If dropped, they won't break, but they are subject to be dented or scratched if dropped. I have ordered quite a few metal prints from Aspen Creek Photo, and I am pleased with the results. I typically wait for when they have a special, which they run several times a year for metal prints. Hope this helps.

capbiker

capbiker
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 am 
Thanks for the feedback! I've got some images that I'd like to try for that high contrast look of metal.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 am 
I have three metal prints from a local mtn photographer. They tend to be "soft" when viewed up close, i.e. not crisp. Also metal prints are very reflective. However, the colors do really pop out. I also have a couple of professionally done mtn prints on high quality paper and I prefer those.

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 8:48 am 
I've been pleased with the metal prints I've had printed by Aspencreek photo from California. Very cool to have the scenes float on the wall with their hidden mount on the backside and rounded off corners. I do add extra sharpening to the scene, more than I normally would. http://order.aspencreekphoto.com/metal

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 6:01 pm 
If you're looking for a local option, I've been very pleased with the prints I've gotten from Northwest Fine Art Printing. https://www.nwfineartprinting.com/ It's nice to actually be able to go into a place and talk to the people about what you want.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Aug 06, 2016 12:01 pm 
Another vote for Aspen Creek Photo. I haven't done metal prints from them yet, but a buddy of mine has and they look absolutely incredible. Only downside is they seem to be a little slow on the turnaround time - I assume because they're a smaller shop than the likes of Bay Photo or MPix.