Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 2:25 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 7:22 am 
Thank you Eric. That was a fun story by Helen Rudy, from 1943. I hiked to Surprise Lake once in April with my scout troop. I didn't know about a lookout above. I was just concerned about staying warm and dry in the Spring snow. Helen Rudy wrote, "I hope the Forest Service will call on us. My sincere hope, however, is that such substitutions will not long be necessary and that the men who love the mountains and belong in them will soon be back. Until then, this is - Surprise clearing." During WWII the lookouts were used as enemy aircraft warning posts. The Japanese were also floating balloons across the ocean to burn down our woods. The men were fighting overseas.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 8:47 am 
A neighboring mountain, Evergreen, was manned even in the winter. The volunteer later wrote that he was mostly only listening for enemy aircraft because the lookout was fogged in for many months. He was living in a cloud and couldn't see anything. http://www.recreation.gov/camping/evergreen-mountain-lookout/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75017

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 pm 
A delightful writeup! She has a great sense of humor and fun writing style! The mention of large cans of food was also in Doug Neumann's lookout logbook from Green Mtn in 1969 - he was very tired of canned peaches, and because it was so incredibly hot that summer, they weren't very appetizing by Day 3. And her feeling of loneliness was also described by Martha Hardy in her book about the Tatoosh lookout. This is a wonderful read - can't wait for more!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Dec 18, 2015 10:14 pm 
Outstanding rediscovery and write up, Eric! up.gif up.gif