Forum Index > Partners > Let's talk: Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sweep

Sweep
PostWed Dec 23, 2015 7:44 pm 
Hello Hikers. I have been hiking for a year. I joined a group in Southwest Washington where I was bitten by the hiking bug. I've met many other hikers and hiked many trails in the past year. Now.... I am thinking ahead to the summer of 2016. Even semi planning to do the Wonderland trail around Mount Rainier this coming summer's end. Is there anyone here who has done the complete trail or hiked it in sections? I would be very interested in hearing of your experience and any other advice you have. I am considering doing the 93 miles in 14-16 days. I do not desire to attack the trail but enjoy it. Kind Regards Sweep

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Dec 23, 2015 8:31 pm 
You will learn much by browsing the resident expert williswall's posts. Check the link to the blog too. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4141

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Dec 23, 2015 9:36 pm 
What RichP said. You can also search "wonderland" in Trail Talk And Trip Report. There's a lot of info already on this site. Then you can start a new thread about any specific questions you can't find with the search function or on williswall's site.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 10:07 am 
Lots of people here have done it. Does your 14-16 day plan include some rest days? Green Trails has a nice waterproof map.

Sweep

Sweep
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 7:13 pm 
Thank you for the information. What I want to do is hike this trail and I know from listening to people talk that I need to make reservations for camp sites. Problem is, I have no idea where to start the hike and what camp sites to reserve. I do not yet know how it all comes together or how to even start to plan. All I do know is that I want to do about 10 miles a day. Since I am not from the Rainier area, I am seeking the advice of people who have gone through the permit process, who know what camp sites are good ones, The distances between them, Where to start.... Just consider if you were new to hiking and you've never planned an over night hike or a section hike or through hike before. Also, if you were me, you would be female , age 58. I want to do it right and do it safe. Sweep

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 8:26 pm 
Get a map. Pick your starting point, probably Longmire or Sunrise (Mowich works also). Decide what direction you want to go, CW or CCW. Then look at the campsites along the way and choose ones that are 7 to 10 miles apart. Build in a few days for rest along the way, if wanted (IOW, plan on two nights at a particular site). Submit your itinerary (or multiple ones) to the park in March when the permit process opens. If you don't get a permit, go to the park anyway and do it via walk up, where you will most likely get all or most of the sites you were denied in the pre permit process. There are websites and books that you can peruse or purchase that will tell you the same thing and give descriptions and pretty pictures. There's an elevation profile you can download from the Park website so you can see how much climb/descent is between camps. Part of the process of hiking the trail is to do your research and planning, no one can dictate or hand hold you through the entire process. You have already stated that you don't want to do more than 10 miles a day, so you can come up with multiple itineraries based on this alone. As stated prior, there is so much information out there on this trail that you should have no problems answering any of your questions just by doing a little browsing. Good luck. Here's a few shots from the trail:
22. "it's gonna be a bright, bright....."
22. "it's gonna be a bright, bright....."
25. not artificially saturated!
25. not artificially saturated!
30. snowless year for Panhandle Gap
30. snowless year for Panhandle Gap
36. Reflection Lake
36. Reflection Lake
7. foreground trumps the rock
7. foreground trumps the rock
9. St Andrews Lake
9. St Andrews Lake
7. fall colors on tarn below Indian Henrys
7. fall colors on tarn below Indian Henrys
25. dripping moss wall
25. dripping moss wall
23. setting sun over Mystic Lake
23. setting sun over Mystic Lake
24. creek below Mystic
24. creek below Mystic

I desire medium danger williswall.com
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 8:59 pm 
I did the WT solo in 11 days - 10 nights. I went clockwise starting at Mowich Lake and picked up food at White River Campground and food and fuel at Longmire, both of which I'd cached the week before. My "campsite" on night 7 was the Longmire Inn. Cleaning up, sleeping in a bed, and scarfing down the restaurant's dinner and breakfast was pure heaven. Plus I just really like the Longmire Inn. These are the tools I used to plan my trip (besides nwhikers of course): The Green Trails Wonderland Trail Map. This waterproof map shows all the campsites and the distances between them. Get this before you do anything else. The MRNP Wonderland Trail website. Examine every detail. Reservation form available there. Bette Filley's very detailed Wonderland Trail guide. It contains ideas for itineraries you can use as a starting point for planning yours. The book is cheap enough and useful enough I didn't hesitate to tear out the trail guide portion and bring it with me on my trip. This Wonderland Trail website also provides itineraries and is useful and fun to look at. If you really want to do a specific itinerary, you will need to be successful in getting a permit through the lottery. WT applications are accepted from March 15 - April 1st (check the MRNP website to verify). It doesn't matter when during that time your reservation request is received. The selection process begins on the whole bunch after April 1st. Being as flexible as you can with dates and campsites on your permit request will improve your chances. In my case, I was flexible with dates but not campsites. I wanted the campsites I wanted. The most difficult campsites to get are Summerland, Indian Bar, Klapatche Park and Golden Lakes. The earlier your reservation request is selected in the lottery, the better chance you have of getting a permit. If your request is selected very late, you will not get a permit no matter how flexible your itinerary is if you want prime time dates (late July - early September). For this 60+ aging body, 11 days was just about right. The one thing I wish I'd done differently would have been to take two days for the Devil's Dream to Klapatche Park segment rather than just one, for a WT total of 12 days. That segment is so beautiful I would have liked more time for it. The east side of the park is glorious. Consider not rushing through it. My itinerary included camps at both Summerland and Indian Bar, even though the two are only four miles apart. I knew how wonderful this section was from a traverse I did years ago and I was eager to spend some quality time there again. Early in the season (before mid-July), snow can make navigation difficult and trail and bridge washouts can make travel hazardous. Late season (after mid-September) can be beautiful, but days are shorter and weather tends to deteriorate. You can monitor WT trail and camp conditions as the season progresses on MRNP's Trail and Camp conditions website.

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostSun Jan 03, 2016 12:17 pm 
I did it in about a week starting at longmire, with two re-supplies, both of which were mailed. Happy to answer any questions. The two is very well maintained and I didn't encounter anything that was too tough. Really an amazing trail and met nice people along the way. http://weekofwonderland.blogspot.com/?m=1 Pro-tip, cans of Rainier are $1 at longmire and something like $5 at sunrise, plan accordingly wink.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 3:51 pm 
My husband and I did it 3 years ago, enjoyed a leisurely 13 days (counter-clockwise from Longmire, re-supply at Mowich and Sunrise). I've been hiking and backpacking since I moved here almost 30 years ago so it was just plain fun. For newbies there are lots of challenges, mostly related to getting familiar with gear and also being familiar with how your mind and body respond to life on the trail/multi days outdoors. I would most definitely recommend that you pursue your permits, but in the mean time get as much practice as possible before you go. A great reference book is Tami Asars "Hiking the Wonderland trail". Bette Filley's is good but Tami's is much more detailed and current. I used both. Choosing campsites is more often dictated by how far you want to go each day as opposed to choosing "the good ones". Good to know your limits and err on the side of caution. I preferred shorter miles each day so we could spend more time exploring. Feel to PM if you have specific questions.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Foxomuxol

Foxomuxol
PostWed Feb 03, 2016 7:35 pm 
Hi! I wish to ascend mount Rainier in july. I need a Partner to clim the cliff, we have to be at least 2 to obtain the climbing pass. This plan gives you an idea of the motion, but it's open to suggestions: Saturday16 july, transport, day1 : Montréal – Seattle Sunday 17, transport, day 2 : Seattle – Longmire – Pyramid Creek (3.81m) Monday 18, day 3 : Pyramid Creek – South Puyallup (9m) Tuesday 19, day 4 : South Puyallup – Golden Lakes (11.5m) Wednesday 20, day 5: Golden Lakes (rest) Thursday 21, day 6: Golden Lakes – Mowich Lake (10.31m) Friday 22, day 7: Mowich Lake – Dick Creek (9.5m) Saturday 23, day 8: Dick Creek – Granite Creek (7.68m) Sunday 24, day 9 : Granite Creek – Sunrise (4.6m) Monday 25, day 10 : Sunrise (rest) Tuesday 26, day 11 : Sunrise – Glacier Bassin (4.31m) Wednesday 27, day 12 : Glacier Bassin – Camp Schurman (2.5m) Thursday 28, day 13 : Camp Schurman – Top – Camp Muir (6.25m) Friday 29, day 14 : Camp Muir – Paradise (5m) Saturday 30, transport, day 15 : Paradise – Seattle Sunday 31 july, transport, day 16 : Seattle – Montréal As you noticed, I'm from Canada Montréal. The last day to get organized before we apply for the wilderness permit and the climbing pass is the 14 march. The 15 march every thing must be set. If you have any questions or if you want to participate, please don't hesitate. You are welcome!! Sebastien Lapensee seb_lapensee@hotmail.com

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 4:34 am 
Despite (or because) the strong El Nino this year has been pretty snowy. In a "normal" year mid-July is typical melt-out at Paradise. So be prepared to do considerable walking on snow with a July 16 start date. Actually waterproof boots, gaiters, micro-spikes, trekking poles are recommended. As well as really dark sunglasses, a bandana and hat to cover your head and neck from the sun and heavy duty sun block. Panhandle Gap is the trickiest spot in terms of snow. Read up about.

Foxomuxol

Foxomuxol
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 6:24 am 
Hey Randy! Thanks for the clues!! Tell me, what about the bugs?? I mean mosquito and all of these...? Have a nice day, Sebastien

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 7:15 am 
There will be bugs!! Both mosquitoes and fly's. The upside is that wildflower blooming and bug density seem to coincide. Because some of my relatives have had melanoma, I hike in long pants and sleeves anyway, so this simplifies defending against bugs. Spraying DEET onto my clothes, wearing a wide brimmed hat and when its really bad a headnet. Some folks are more affected by the bites themselves, hydrocortisone lotion is a good treatment for bites, cause if you scratch the itch the damage is worse and the healing process much longer. If you want to avoid the bulk of the bugs (and the crowds) go after Labor Day. You won't get the glorious wildflower displays as in mid-summer, but you'll have the least amount of snow walking and the long climbs will be less sweaty.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 am 
Foxomuxol wrote:
Tell me, what about the bugs?? I mean mosquito and all of these...?
Compared to the woods of Quebec in summer, they are mild here!

skibunny

skibunny
PostMon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 pm 
hi. i did half of the wonderland in sections. 2 sections in loops. the north and the east. these are both obvious if you look on a map. you can do them in 4 or 5 days easily. they both give you time to explore and the best parts of the trail in my opinion. north and east are also drier. the loops are possible without resupply. if you are not doing the entire thing you can camp in back country without worrying about campground permits. btw... you do not really want to stay in the campgrounds unless you enjoy the company of MANY other people. the wonderland campsites are shitte in my opinion. the sites are dirt and much too close together. get bc permits as a walkup and get off wonderland to explore the loops... so much more adventuresome if you want that kind of thing... check out google earth and get off the trail a little!