Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Problems with Centurylink
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 12:32 pm 
After years of avoiding the issue Centurylink has finally agreed to replace the ancient and decaying copper phone line to my house. In recent months the crackling and distortion on the line has become too bad for them to ignore, not to mention the problems it causes with our DSL internet. I would be happy with this, if it weren't for the fact that they are replacing it with another copper wire when there's a fiber optic line right there in the road! Apparently their policy is not to run fiber optic lines to houses in my area, and I can't for the life of me begin to think why! I can't believe that copper is cheaper than fiber optic, not with copper being so valuable as to have thieves tearing down power lines to get it. Surely fiber optic is both faster, cheaper, and longer lasting, so why not install it instead? They'd be able to sell me more expensive faster internet for crying out loud! I'm sure there's some hidden way that they profit from not installing fiber optic, I just can't figure out what it is. I wish we had multiple ISPs in the area so that we could at least benefit from the competition. As it is we're stuck with this one dumb, malicious, greedy corporation.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 1:22 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
As it is we're stuck with this one dumb, malicious, greedy corporation.
ditto.gif 19th Century Link sucks

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 2:42 pm 
ditto.gif ditto.gif ditto.gif ( as does Comcast.... shakehead.gif )

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Dec 24, 2015 2:45 pm 
ditto.gif $50/month for (barely) 1MB/sec. rant.gif

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 10:47 am 
I am not fully aware of what each regional phone company obligations are but I do know that ...the city of portland oregon sawed grooves into many of the city streets to install fibre optics, and they also rewired their convention center with the same...not sure if it was vancouver washington or some other city that installed fibre optics on telephone poles running down the alleys of most of the city.....the phone company is not obligated to provide data services to anyone, that being said it is still a monopoly of sorts even after that major breakup years ago... I think I have posted in other sections herein this forum about MONEY and TECH... we have no money, and the tech is available but we have no money and we give most of our money away on idiotic projects, like compensate hostages of iran embassy with our money which we dont have, need I say more??? we dont have any money....and if you think the phone company is gonna rewire all the lines they have and install fibre optics then I have 5 acres of land for sale in the osceola natl forest in florida for sale, cheap...

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 11:35 am 
Why attack their reasons when you admit you have no idea what their reasons are? That would be like attacking a movie you have never seen. Oh, that's right, you did just do that. doh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Dec 25, 2015 2:28 pm 
Slugman Slower than ever thats a perfect fit

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 10:37 am 
FIOS fiber right up to our house. just sayin' cool.gif

friluftsliv
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 8:08 pm 
mike

mike
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 8:35 pm 
Worthless, data shown for my area was totally wrong. Nothing even remotely resembling reality.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 9:08 pm 
mike wrote:
Worthless, data shown for my area was totally wrong. Nothing even remotely resembling reality.
www.zillow.com

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 9:10 pm 
IanB wrote:
ditto.gif $50/month for (barely) 1MB/sec. rant.gif
Ya Im pretty disappointed with my CL internet. I just dont have a lot of options.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 9:15 pm 
I am actually fairly satisfied with Comcast, only problem is that every year you have to threaten to cancel when they bump the rate. At least CL has been very aggressive in Izzy making negotiation easier. I looked up the customer reviews on CL and determined that it was a bit of a hollow threat on my part, however.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Dec 26, 2015 9:23 pm 
mike wrote:
Same for me, all the providers the site finds for me don't actually offer service to my address. My suspicion for CL's reason for replacing my cable with copper instead of fiber is that if they used fiber then I would also probably be able to get service from Comcast if I wanted. By keeping me on DSL they keep their monopoly as my service provider intact.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Dec 27, 2015 12:14 pm 
We have Charter and I am most pleased. I've never got above 10MB/S on downloads (supposed to be 60) but I can't complain as it streams HD video just fine, even with multiple accounts signed on at the same time.