Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Passages: Robert Miles, electronica producer and DJ has died. Music some may remember.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 10, 2017 3:42 pm 
This is for any Electronica fans here who are into Progressive Trance. Quote: "Progressive Trance became the sound of the world's dance floors by the end of the millennium." This may bring back some memories long ago of all night dance events in warehouses or on bluffs overlooking the Sound, miles away from the city. Here's Children originally released in 1995 and produced by Robert Miles (Roberto Concina) the Swiss-born Italian trance producer and DJ. He has died at age 47 after an unspecified illness per an article in The Guardian. Per the Wikipedia article he died in Ibiza--the famous island in the Balearics off the southern coast of Spain and long a home to electronic dance music and culture. Remember it's not about the video. It's about the music, the video is only a vehicle. ~z
Now this , the Dream version is a bit more melodic and engaging. For the real Trance heads. Life is short, Time flies. Savor the moments.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 10, 2017 6:36 pm 
This was indeed sad to hear. I think it's extremely unfortunate that he will forever be known as Trance producer because he really only produced one Trance album (and while I loved it 20 years ago, it has not aged well at all in my opinion). His other two full length albums, 23 AM and Organik, are absolutely fantastic, much more interesting and span numerous different genres (Trip Hop, Jazz, Drum & Bass, Progressive House/Trance, Ambient, and even a little Classical influence as well), and he really deserves to be remembered as more than just a one trick, one hit wonder (he was really not commercially successful after Dreamland).

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 10, 2017 7:54 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
he really deserves to be remembered as more than just a one trick, one hit wonder
True and this was mainly how I knew him and thought others could relate. I certainly am not an Electronica musicologist. I just wanted to honor some of his music that I was familiar with. I probably was drawn in by Trance initially, then became more and more exposed to House music--maybe more Deep House. I would love to hear some Progressive House if you have a musical link to post. I have a friend or two that would play Drum & Bass for us and it took a while to learn to appreciate it. wink.gif ~z Note: Sore Feet I have modified the thread title a bit. I am also going to look through more of his music.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed May 10, 2017 8:42 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
His other two full length albums, 23 AM and Organik, are absolutely fantastic, much more interesting and span numerous different genres
So this track from 23AM is really beautiful. Featuring Kathy Sledge of Sister Sledge. Thanks for pointing in this direction. ~z

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 11, 2017 7:03 pm 
For Progressive House, I think I'd suggest starting with some DJ mixes since there aren't nearly as many producers out there putting out full length albums. Nick Warren, Danny Howells, Henry Saiz, and Anthony Pappa are my favorites currently. Here's an over 3-hour long set my brother put together that's really good too. As for studio work, Hybrid, Way Out West, Sasha, Eelke Kleijn, 16 Bit Lolitas, and Jody Wisternoff are all fantastic starting points (note these aren't all Spotify because some of them aren't available in the US for dumb reasons).

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu May 11, 2017 9:46 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
For Progressive House, I think I'd suggest starting with some DJ mixes since there aren't nearly as many producers out there putting out full length albums.
Thanks, Sore Feet. That was certainly an effort to compile and post those. I will check these out over the weekend. I had thought you were going to throw out something by Robert Miles. You're quite the source. up.gif ~z