Forum Index > Food & Grub > Foraging last year
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
glenoid

glenoid
PostWed Dec 30, 2015 8:00 pm 
Since the "food" category has been relative inactive over the last few weeks, I decided to share with you all what we foraged over the last year. We live near the Blue Mountains, in areas that were put into Wildlife and Wilderness area status not that long ago. Since many a person had homesteaded the area prior to these designations took hold, there are numerous old homesteads to find and therefore to forage from besides the forest itself. For starters, now drinking some Elderberry wine made a year ago. We dried numerous fruits including yellow and purple prunes, pounds of quite delicious apples, wild pears, (they have thorns by the way), and elderberry berries. We had a pretty good crop of chokecherries which I eat raw and my wife turns into jams/jellies and I use for a mead/chokecherry wine. There are numerous small plum trees which though sour, produce fine wines and jellies. Black hawthorn, serviceberry and blackberries were plentiful. Hundreds of trout to make smoked trout, "trout ham", pickled trout, trout sausage, and those saved for the grill. Two deer to eat over the next year or so...... Mushrooms that are frozen, canned and dried to use over the coming year. These include Morals, Boletes, Chanterrelles, Bears head, Oysters, Cauliflowers, Hedgehogs, all to partake in over the winter.... Huckleberries. Need I say more...... In the springtime had miner's lettuce salad and steamed sautéed nettles. All in all a pretty good year to save on the grocery bill, but more importantly, a way to recall and remember the great times we had hiking and gathering, for the whole year yet to come... Come to the Blues and enjoy the bounty, but also the time to get out in the woods to gather it all in!!!! Tomorrow AM will be sourdough pancakes with chokecherry syrup! Maybe venison chops, salad and sweet potatoes fries for dinner, washed down with elderberry wine.....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 31, 2015 10:11 am 
glenoid wrote:
Tomorrow AM will be sourdough pancakes with chokecherry syrup! Maybe venison chops, salad and sweet potatoes fries for dinner, washed down with elderberry wine.....
Damn...any part of your post makes my mouth water! I would add to the list Gooseberries. Not native to North America but they grew wild around the farmstead and just showed up from birds dropping them perhaps?. I remember the most amazing pies my Grandmother would make. My Mom, Grandpa, Dad, and I would be tasked with picking them and the pies would magically appear. Oh...and Buffalo berries too!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
mike

mike
PostThu Dec 31, 2015 10:28 am 
glenoid wrote:
I decided to share with you all what we foraged over the last year.
up.gif thanks!

graffiti

graffiti
PostThu Dec 31, 2015 1:33 pm 
And here I am reading this and eating Pop-Tarts. But get this, they're BLUEBERRY Pop-Tarts.

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.