Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lasik eye surgery..
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 8:15 pm 
I had near perfect vision my entire life but had to start using reading glasses about 7 years ago about age 48. I am considering having this procedure done and wanted to get others opinions-experiences on this. I have a HS friend who had it done several years ago, she was near sighted. Now she can see fine without glasses and can also read without them. I have heard of a few other such cases, I have also heard that the procedure is primarily for those who are near sighted. I must admit that the way the procedure is done is a bit scary too me, not sure if it's worth the risk and expense? Thoughts?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 9:51 pm 
My wife had it done 20 years ago for bad astigmatism. She didn't need glasses for many year -- but past 55 she has needed them for reading and using the computer. I didn't need reading glasses until several years ago -- but eventually my arms just were not long enough to read a book anymore. So I use reading glasses. Distance vision is fine. I use cheap bifocal "Safety" sunglasses / yellow lenses when I'm skiing / hiking for UV protection and so I can read a map/compass/GPS, but still see distant objects clearly. When most folks pass the half century mark the tissue in the eye's lens becomes less flexible so the focusing range is reduced. Seems like using laser vision correction would change at what distance things are in focus -- but not change the amount of dynamic range.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 04, 2016 10:37 pm 
Wait a minute, I didnt think you could have surgery to correct normal near focus aging? I cant see a damn thing up close anymore without glasses. Are you telling I can get surgery to correct that?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 3:52 am 
Yes, apparently it is called Conductive Keratoplasty and is non invasive. Drawbacks are that it can cause slightly blurred vision at long distances and it's not a permanent fix. http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/ck_ltk_eye_surgery.htm

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 9:11 am 
had a rare form of cataract called milky cataract. wore glasses for 47yrs and was beginning to not see distant objects. after surgery distant was perfect but real close i need 2x reading glasses... have a friend who has real thick lenses in his glasses.. laser surgery cant correct his eye problems..

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 11:56 am 
Doppelganger- Beck Weathers had an earlier procedure called radial keratotomy, and not lasik. I actually asked about that prior to my having lasik in 2012, and was told that it shouldn't be an issue. Of course, I've never been above ~18,400', and don't really have any plans to anytime soon. Regarding my lasik, I lived for years with glasses and contacts, and while I thought I was a bit older to have the procedure (42 at the time), everything went well. I am quite happy with the results 3.5 years later. I was told that I may still need reading glasses in the future, so I'm not sure how the procedure would help the OP.

Knows literally nothing
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 12:57 pm 
I had lasik done last May. I have been satisfied overall. Don't need contacts anymore. Mine was to correct near-sightedness (I couldn't see far away). The doctor did tell me that it would be likely that in time I would need glasses for reading but that was due more to the way the eyes age and not necessarily due to the surgery. He also warned that at night I may experience halo or star-like effects around lights. The worst part for me was the surgery. The thought of things touching my eye freaked me out. Yes I know it's not like the old blade that was used to cut the eye but they still have to lift the flap up before the shoot the laser. And that you are awake also freaked me out. Yes it was quick but the thought still freaks me out. Maybe I am just more sensitive about my eyes, idk. I did smell (what I assume to be) burning flesh from the laser - really kinda gross. And your vision does go out during the surgery for a bit. As for you I guess I would have to ask how often do you need your reading glasses? How bad is it?

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 1:51 pm 
Check into the possible side effects that the stats don't count as "failures" and decide if you want to gamble. I have always heard it does not take care of the problems associated with needing reading glasses. Another cheap, easy, reversible approach to your problem is something I have used for years. A stick on reading glass "patch". figure out your diopter by trying on reading glasses at your local drugstore or Costco. I use them for hiking by trimming the patch to minimal size, and then placing it low on the glasses (sunglasses or my regular single vision prescription) of my NON-dominant eye. This avoids blurring where you are stepping, and when you want to read a map/GPS/watch, you just wink the other eye and look through the lower portion with the patch. They are just stuck on with surface tension, so they can be peeled off if you want to try a different diopter or try a different trimming. Its a 2 for one price with it only on one side required. I have never had them fall off on their own under any conditions that wouldn't destroy the glasses themselves. Including freezing, and some people use them inside scuba masks. Or you can have someone hack on your eye, and hope you can enjoy seeing halos around all lights, or losing your night vision. Are you feeling lucky?

friluftsliv
Dect6

Dect6
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 2:59 pm 
I thought of it. The thing that holds me back is, its my only pair of eyes, if something goes wrong, it will screw up life forever. If it works great!!! But i rather be wearing a pair of glasses than to take a chance if it doesn't work out.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 3:36 pm 
Dect6 wrote:
The thing that holds me back is, its my only pair of eyes, if something goes wrong, it will screw up life forever.
I had a friend that was scared of that too. Actually did two separate appointments. Just in case something happened. But I think that those kinds of 'failures' are extremely low.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 4:35 pm 
Just as a matter of interest for those of you that may have had the original version of RK done with a knife. The scars it leaves on the eyeball make it problematic to do cataract surgery later in life. They have to operate in between the scars and that is very tricky. My wife just went through that (she had RK done with a knife in Saudi Arabia by an Iraqi doctor during the middle of George Bush Sr's Gulf war with Iraq). Anyway, there are only two doctors in this state that will do cataract surgery on RK eyes(according to her eye surgeon here in Wenatchee). One in Spokane and one in Seattle. She chose Seattle and is happy with the outcome.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 7:47 pm 
Dect6 wrote:
I thought of it. The thing that holds me back is, its my only pair of eyes, if something goes wrong, it will screw up life forever. If it works great!!! But i rather be wearing a pair of glasses than to take a chance if it doesn't work out.
Same here.. My distance vision wasn't THAT bad. I had a friend though that without glasses literally was almost blind. It worked well for him.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 pm 
boot up wrote:
Another cheap, easy, reversible approach to your problem is something I have used for years. A stick on reading glass "patch".
I may have to try this....

Dect6

Dect6
PostTue Jan 05, 2016 8:00 pm 
Quote:
I had a friend that was scared of that too. Actually did two separate appointments. Just in case something happened. But I think that those kinds of 'failures' are extremely low.
Yeah...i know....as low as it is....for me....if it comes to my vision, i am not risking it. Also one thing to note that lasik is not a one time deal. You'll have to get it fixed after X number of years. Also as previously mentioned, as you aged down the road, it will may be problematic trying to deal with it.

Miley

Miley
PostWed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 pm 
I had my blade free Lasik surgery at See By Intravision, Oakville( http://seebyiv.com/ ) It was the best decision I ever made. The procedure lasted for about 5 seconds for each eye. Time depends on how bad your eyes are. There was no pain as they put some numbing drops in my eyes. Not even after the surgery. I didn't have any side effects. I had itchy eyes before the surgery but that was barely there after the surgery. After the surgery I had to wear a shield for a day or two so that nothing could enter my eyes during the first crucial 24 hrs of healing.