Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Griffey Jr
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jan 06, 2016 4:32 pm 
griffey just got voted in to the hall of fame with a new record, he received votes on 99.3% of the ballots! don't know why 3 of 440 voters didn't think he was hall of fame caliber but oh well. 1st player that will go in as a seattle mariner.

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 pm 
I was always a fan of Ken Griffey Sr. Must be proud of Jr.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Jan 06, 2016 6:15 pm 
breakdance.gif rockband.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 10:18 am 
Glad to see that The HOF voters realized how much Jr's achievments got over shadowed by the cheaters of his era. He should have been alone in those amazing generational numbers, but he got crowded out by A-roid, Sosa, McGuire and Bonds - cheaters one and all. If Jr had been using 'roids to overcome injury (as the other cheats claim to be the case) he would have hit 800 home runs. Those injury seasons late in his career cost him - while Bonds, Sosa and McGuire hit their strides for power well after the peaks of their careers - added years due to 'roid usage, years that Jr lost due to playing clean. There will always be the ones who are contrary just because they can be - the 3 of 440 who didn't vote for him, probably paid off by Bonds, McGuire and Sosa. tongue.gif

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 3:05 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
There will always be the ones who are contrary just because they can be - the 3 of 440 who didn't vote for him, probably paid off by Bonds, McGuire and Sosa. tongue.gif
Those 3 voters should have their voting rights revoked.... They are just being a-holes/want to be different.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 3:47 pm 
Nobody has ever been voted in unanimously. Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner each got 95.13%, Ty Cobb 98.23%, Hank Aaron 97.83%. See http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Hall_of_Fame_Voting_Percentages

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 4:01 pm 
No one will ever be a unanimous selection, I mean if those guys couldn't get it, no one can! That's just the way baseball works. Kind of like how Edgar will probably never make the hall since he spent most of his career as a DH.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 4:06 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Nobody has ever been voted in unanimously. Babe Ruth and Honus Wagner each got 95.13%, Ty Cobb 98.23%, Hank Aaron 97.83%. See http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Hall_of_Fame_Voting_Percentages
Thanks for posting that. There have been far, far better players than The Kid who weren't unanimous choices, so no need for anyone to get their feathers ruffled.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 4:22 pm 
Well, IMO no position player was ever "far far better" than Ken Griffey Jr. Craziest HOF voting dis is Cy Young @ 76.12%

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 5:21 pm 
I think the three voters were Bonds, McGuire and Sosa. hihi.gif There are some curmudgeons who don't think anyone should go in on the first ballot. Three out of over 400 seems kind of low for the crackpot contingent. So Junior did OK.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 pm 
One explanation is that each BBWAA gets 10 votes and a few of them use all 10 of their votes to support worthy candidates that were passed over in prior years, knowing that a guy like Griffey Jr. will get plenty of votes on his first ballot.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 6:30 pm 
Great to see. 3 didn't vote for him? Do they check sobriety before the voting? Maybe payback. Griffey was known to dole out interviews to the most favored. Drugs. I think the commissioner (won't repeat his name) shouldn't be mentioned in HOF, or should have an asterisk next to his name, with note, "Steroids Era". Home runs sell tickets. Sosa's biceps just exploded in size over one off season. It was too obvious.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Jan 07, 2016 9:21 pm 
Slugman wrote:
I think the three voters were Bonds, McGuire and Sosa. hihi.gif
That's what I was thinking!

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Jan 08, 2016 6:14 am 
the times printed a large photo from back in the day, full of smiles and backward cap my god he was so young!!!!! He was a kid which, at the time, I didn't really appreciate how much so he was. I am sorry Dave N is not here to see this. I think it was Dave who ignited the public to really notice

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
There have been far, far better players than The Kid who weren't unanimous choices
name one that was far, far better. Better maybe, but far far better... The only reason anyone might even think that is because Jr was surrounded by cheating scum who got equal or slightly better numbers due to PEDs. If Bonds, Sosa and McGuire didn't do what they did by cheating then Jr would be considered THE singular player of his generation. He got robbed by the cheats, luckily the HOF saw through the cheating and gave him his due, the highest % of all time. Rumor has it that a couple of NY writers were still PO'ed that Mantle didn't get 100%, so they voted no. I mean how could Seaver not have received 100%? Jeter should also be 100%.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.