Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Gardening Resources? Sick Tree
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 1:33 am 
I have a small Red Cedar in my back yard that is sick. I'm trying to find info on what, if anything, can be done for it. At the very least I want to prevent whatever's infecting it from spreading to a couple other small Cedars growing near it. I've tried e-mailing pics and asking for help from the King Co. Master Gardner program but haven't heard back in over a week. Who else might I ask? Perhaps someone on this site can give me some info on what's going on. The bottom branches are turning black. There is also the same black coating appearing on the ground under it. Here is a pic of the tree in question (on the left) and the other ones growing near it:
DSC_8639-1
DSC_8639-1
I discovered these little guys growing up amongst some Shore Pine that I'm clearing out. I want to transplant the smallest tree in the middle but would like to leave the other two right where they're at. Here is a close-up of the lower branches and the nasty black coating they're acquiring:
DSC_8640-2
DSC_8640-2
The upper branches of this tree look like something is eating them. Don't know if this is the same problem, a related problem, or something completely different.
DSC_8642-3
DSC_8642-3
Any info on what I can do for this tree or to prevent the spread of this stuff, or to whom I could direct these questions is much appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 8:47 am 
Western Red Cedar prefers some shade when young. Maybe it is getting too sun blasted. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/thuja/plicata.htm says: "Partial shade is beneficial because drought and high soil temperature damage seedlings in full sunlight..." You could try adding some mulch to cover the ground. Something that water can get through. Maybe there is a park in your area where you can rake up a bag of long pine needles.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 9:08 am 
It looks like you just opened up that area? Was the tree planted before or after you pruned back the brush? It does look like it may be in shock from the sun and maybe a little sun burned--what aspect is it on? Trees do go into shock if the area around them is opened up. They may or may not recover. There is hope. I am growing WRC on my small plot of land and have been learning from it and from the commercial timber land nearby. It seems to be fairly tough. My seedlings were munched on by deer, as were the plantation cedars. Both have or are recovering and are growing like crazy. The commercial cedar is planted out in full sun, and is doing well, but it may be seedlings that are made for that. I'd wait and see what the new growth does this year. I wouldn't put any mulch around it. That black might be caused from too much moisture touching the tree. Happy tree growing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 am 
They sprouted naturally inside a big clump of Shore Pine which I am clearing out, so yes I just opened that area up and discovered them. The one on the right is growing great, put on over 6" of new growth last summer. When I discovered them, all were healthy with no signs of problems. Whatever is happening to that one just started in the last couple months. If the problem is over-exposure then what is with that black stuff all over it and on the ground? Sure looks like some kind of mold to me? It actually looks like paint, but obviously it isn't. Just the way it coats the branches reminds me of black paint.

bk

bk
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 2:28 pm 
Arborist Dennis Tompkins and his contact info. If he doesn't have ideas over the phone or email, maybe he can point you to somebody local.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 7:36 pm 
It looks like sunburn. They do best in shade at least for the first couple of years, but not necessary. Don't know what the black is but it looks to be on all the twigs etc. also, that are lying around. The black branches could have died and the fungus around just happened on them (live branches don't seem to have any) I would clean up all of the black twigs and cut off the affected branches. And then wait until next year and see how the growth goes. There is also a Western Red (Thuja plicata)-Leaf Blight http://pnwhandbooks.org/plantdisease/cedar-western-red-thuja-plicata-leaf-blight-keithia-blight That could also look like brown-gray needles. Look for the black fruiting spots in the middle of the needle

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jan 10, 2016 10:46 pm 
Thanks for the input folks! Hoping I can save this little tree. I was tickled to find them there as I'd planned to plant some trees back in this area and Red Cedars are one of my favorites. I'm thinking some Hemlocks back there would be nice, too.