Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Othello Sandhill Crane Festival 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 22, 2016 5:16 pm 
Considering going this year. March 18-20. Has anyone visited this event - either formally or informally - that has recommendations on what to see and do? For example, is the best time to see the cranes in the morning or evening or both? Is the Potholes Reservoir boat trip worthwhile? Any advice on the Columbia Wildlife Refuge? There are usually so many activities scheduled for these festivals, it's hard to choose.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostFri Jan 22, 2016 8:24 pm 
Lots of places to visit in the scablands. Blythe and Chukar Lake, Frog Lake, Upper and Lower Goose lk, Crab Creek, come to mind. All part of the Columbia WL Area. And Saddle Mtn isn't far. Check my old, old TR's

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 4:08 pm 
Ditto Blythe & Chukar. Re: Potholes - check fishing schedules - extremely popular for fishing. Not sure I'd do Saddle Mtn. It's great, but the coulees at Blythe & Chukar are wonderful. Plus, to get to the good parts of Saddle Mtn, you would want high clearance and/or 4WD (unless things have changed since I was there last). Blythe & Chukar will be chock-full of sand hill cranes. You won't be able to throw a piece of basalt without hitting one. So they might be crowded.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
mike

mike
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 4:22 pm 
Quark wrote:
Not sure I'd do Saddle Mtn.
Yep, Do it when the flowers are out. Didn't have any trouble on the road.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 4:48 pm 
They wussified Saddle Mtn??????? Well - the views from up there sure are pretty; down to the Columbia on the western portion of the ridge and into Drumheller channel on the east. Its windy up there! (or did the wussify that too? clown.gif )

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 4:53 pm 
Quark wrote:
Its windy up there! (or did the wussify that too? clown.gif )

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm 
Re Saddle Mtn road The eastern road up to the Nike site is paved quite a ways and the gravel portion after that is pretty good. Made it up to the Radio towers from that side this fall. Does any one know if the road that continues north down to Crab creek is open all the way? Google map shows it to go through but I wonder if you end up at a gate etc? Don't know what the western road is like coming up from Mattawa.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 6:33 pm 
Dalekz wrote:
Don't know what the western road is like coming up from Mattawa.
It was fine for an F-150 about 15 years ago.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
mike

mike
PostSat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 pm 
Dalekz wrote:
but I wonder if you end up at a gate etc?
Yep, going down I think that it enters private property but not sure about that. There are several roads going up/down the north side. I vaguely remember a gate on the road running out to the towers. We drove up from south near opposite the WB turn off. Turn right on top to park at road end at Corfu gap. Good basic gravel road. Cross the Corfu Gap and enter one of the few native grasslands left. Everything else is cheatgrass desert.